Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who had band to sleeve in one surgery..

I'm wondering for those who did both at the same time, did you unfill your band prior too ? Was it recommended by your doctor To do so ? Do you feel it made a difference with surgery ? Thanks !

Hello! Band revision to sleeve 4 days ago. :) My dr did at the same time but I know other drs require it to be done in 2 surgeries. No, didn't take fills out beforehand. My surgery was a piece of cake... Seemed easier than the band surgery years ago.

Had my revison in one surgery on May 6th. No unfill and was also a piece of cake. Think I was already used to eating little potions so I did not suffer any hunger issues.

So glad to hear this!! I am going for my all-in-one surgery tomorrow too. I was freaking out a little bit, but hearing this makes me so much more relaxed!

Had mine done all at once. No problems, he did empty my band about three months before.

Had my band to sleeve surgery at the same time. Doc said surgery went very well & my band wasn't emptied beforehand.

My band was emptied 2 months prior to give my stomach a chance to heal. I had the revision all in one.

Thanks to all who reported good results. I was worried about this too.

I am having my band removed and sleeve done in one surgery in two weeks. My doctor has not unfilled my band.

My dr told me a month before he wants to empty my band and will god willing do the whole thing at once as long as I don't have too much scar tissue.

Due to multiple complications, my band was unfilled for a couple years prior to having my sleeve. I asked the Dr to please fill it a little prior to surgery so I wouldn't gain more weight before surgery. I explained to him that I knew me and my bad habits and knew that I would be having several "last suppers" prior to my surgery and wanted a fill to prevent me from doing that. He said "thats a great idea....however, I prefer to keep your band unfilled until surgery to help reduce post operative swelling and nausea...your recovery may be more comfortable if we just leave it unfilled" so....we left it unfilled and my recovery was uneventful. Thank God!

Some doctors choose to empty the band during your surgery just before they remove it.

I voluntarily unfilled my band 4 weeks before my revision.

When Dr Garcia got in there, he said everything looked great and there was NO irritation (which is what I did it for...NO irritation)

I was then sleeved right after he removed it

I'm wondering for those who did both at the same time, did you unfill your band prior too ? Was it recommended by your doctor To do so ? Do you feel it made a difference with surgery ? Thanks !

yes i had to get mine unfilled before hand for about a month. i also only had one surgery.

I had a band to sleeve conversion 4/29. I had all the Fluid taken out due to issues with the band in November. I had a slip and a partial erosion, luckily the part that was eroded was the part that was removed. Surgery with conversion was done all at once. I felt the surgery and recovery were a breeze.

As far as the difference between the two? No comparison. I feel full without the painful sliming and vomiting that were a daily occurrence with the band. I can eat comfortably albeit a much smaller amount. I am satisfied with the portions and unlike the band I am not looking around for food. The band never made me feel hunger satiation, but rather a painful stuck feeling. I love the sleeve and am glad I did it. Good luck to you.

Hello everyone,

I went to visit my new surgeon (I'm Kaiser now) to discuss my lap band slipping. I was thinking we could just take out a little saline and see what happens. Never heard of the sleeve before today but when he discussed this option while taking out my band at the same time- I immediately knew it was the right decision. My band has been a total nightmare. The group who performed my band surgery pretty much deserted me after my operation. Kaiser has been a dream come true for me. There were things about the band I was never told- like most people get it out about 2-5 years later and almost nobody has it in after 10 years. I was led to believe this band stayed in forever. I also thought it was going to be a simple surgery. Wrong. I have been hospitalized so many times for problems. I faint after I eat sometimes because its pushing up again my Vagal nerve. And its been too tight for months- finally after months of vomiting/getting food stuck constantly/and slime issues- it slipped. Thank God, because it slipped I pay for nothing- my insurance will cover this as well as my revision to the sleeve. I am so excited to have my surgery June 28th. It is so helpful to read all your comments and stories. Today my surgeon removed almost all of the saline explaining it helps to reduce any swelling to make surgery and revision easier. And I am so happy to NEVER have to get a fill or have this port accessed again. Yippee!