Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I spent about 6 hours lounging by the pool yesterday and got burnt to a crisp. Every summer I get burned the first time I go to the pool. This is on a whole different level though, I am really burned bad! Of course I couldn't get in the pool because I am only 13 days post op, but it felt amazing outside, so I had no idea I was being fried. I was sure to stay hydrated all day. Well, last night I was laying on my couch. I asked my daughter to pour me some of my G2 Gatorade. She brought me a glass and I drank about an ounce of it....then something really crazy happened. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I stood up and broke out into a major sweat. I was dizzy. I was seeing black spots. I handed my daughter my phone and told her to call my mom & tell her to come to my house that I needed to go to the emergency room. I got the sudden urge to use the restroom (TMI, I know) - I had diarrhea and within a minute or two, poof- I was totally normal! WTF?? I asked my daughter what she put in the glass, she told me she put Kool Aid...FULL SUGAR FILLED KOOL AID! She is only 9, so I couldn't get upset with her. I am assuming this was a reaction to the sugar? If so, I will NEVER put anything with sugar near my lips again!!! I guess that is a good thing, but geez I thought I was going to die!!! Anyone else experienced this??????

It's called dumping. You had the classic symptoms of it. And yes, it was from the sugar. Dumping isn't as common with the sleeve as it is with bypass but it does happen and you my dear had it.

I've never experienced this, but I thank you for posting it just in case something similar happens to me.

It's called dumping. You had the classic symptoms of it. And yes, it was from the sugar. Dumping isn't as common with the sleeve as it is with bypass but it does happen and you my dear had it.

Thank you! I am happy I know now what it was! That was a terrible feeling and I never want to experience it again!!!

It sort of sounds like a vasovagal episode, too.

Not everyone feels like this from sugar after vsg surgery, but it sounds like you, like me, will experience this with sugar. And seems how I am now almost 10 months out, I dont see it going away anytime soon. At least not for me.

When I eat sugar, I get dizzy, nauseous, hot sweats, cold chills, stomach cramps, dry heeves, diarrhea, and occasionally....vomiting. I dont get all symptoms every time, and some times a symptom can be worse than the last time. It sucks. Even stuff you wouldnt even think about has sugar and might send me into a sugar attack!

The first time it happened i ended up in the fetal position on the floor. I was so freaked out i had no idea why this was happening. I try to be very diligent about checking sugar content.

On the bright side, I cant cheat and eat a cookie or a cupcake. So it keeps me in line ;)

Not everyone feels like this from sugar after vsg surgery, but it sounds like you, like me, will experience this with sugar. And seems how I am now almost 10 months out, I dont see it going away anytime soon. At least not for me.

When I eat sugar, I get dizzy, nauseous, hot sweats, cold chills, stomach cramps, dry heeves, diarrhea, and occasionally....vomiting. I dont get all symptoms every time, and some times a symptom can be worse than the last time. It sucks. Even stuff you wouldnt even think about has sugar and might send me into a sugar attack!

The first time it happened i ended up in the fetal position on the floor. I was so freaked out i had no idea why this was happening. I try to be very diligent about checking sugar content.

On the bright side, I cant cheat and eat a cookie or a cupcake. So it keeps me in line ;)

Wow, 10 months out and it still happens? I was hoping it would go away!! But you are right, it is probably for the best because I have had a major sweet tooth my entire life... So now I will have NO desire to eat that cookie or cupcake!!!

Sorry this happened to you but thank you for sharing, I was wondering if it could happen with the sleeve not just the RNY not that I have a huge sweet tooth but makes me not want to slip.