Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I survive the holiday foods

Here at the office there is nothing but Cookies, candy, cakes you name it all kinds of food. How do I gain enough will power to say NO. I have been horrible all week up 4 pounds. I have talked to my doc they allow to stay away from the junk and eat more Proteins well thats easier said than done. Thats how I got to be overweight in the first place. Please help me I know I should just say no but sometimes it seems that I just take leave of my senses and eat the darn stuff. Any pointers from people that are having a problem with the holiday foods.

I would you add to the offerings by taking something you can eat.....it is so hard but you can do it. Sometimes it really helps if you can be munching at the same time as everyone else...that gets me over the hump...so, when invited to house parties,office parties, etc I always take a tray of something I can eat.

Carol

well my theory.. pick the one or two things i really want and eat em.. my tummy can only hold 4 oz of it anyway.. so splurging once or twice, really isnt gonna hurt me. Just make she you get all the nutritional balance in that day at other times.

I hear ya! food everywhere right now, and none of it healthy!

I try to avoid areas where I know food will be, take alternate routes through the office if I can. Look straight ahead (I wonder if I'd get odd looks if I wore blinders like race horses wear?).

I haven't yet decided if I do better saying no to it all, and not getting started, or having a couple of the things I really want.

Grrrr. I've REALLY tried to keep the junk out of my house. My husband has helped by not bringing home his gifts from his staff (boxes of chocolates). He know that once they are in my sight, I don't leave them alone.

At gatherings, I drink Water alot or whatever non-calorie drink. I actually don't eat dinner before and usually find something reasonable to eat (stuffed mushrooms, crabcakes, chili) but I always find the chocolate truffles. However, once I've eaten a few I step away from the table. Last night the truffles were in my face, at the table. I ended up getting up to socialize with another group that was away from the table.

I eat nowhere the amount of pre-banding. I've gained a few pounds this season, but feel determined to go no further. That's two pounds since Thanksgiving...only another few days until Christmas is over. I didn't do too bad.

Shawn

It is very difficult to avoid these tempting yummy things, but everyone here has done SOOO well and just remind yourself of where you were and where you are. I small bite won't hurt if you can keep it to a small bite. And remember, NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS! Hang in there everyone. We can do this and we will love ourselves more!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I just don't look at all the food around. I socialize at parties, but don't eat. The last one was a brunch. I had two bites and ended up PBing for 3 days. Umm, that is a deterent from eating. I had to go for a slight unfill. Now I'm headed for a cruise on Saturday. I'll try to be good because today I bought size 18 pants, down from 24's. :) Motivation enough for me.

I'm right there with Jack...its this crap that got me here in the first place. So....I eat when I'm hungry and its up to me to make sure that the right stuff is in place for me to eat.

Carol

It's so hard to be good in the face of so many goodies! Stick to the foods you know you should eat first so you won't come to work really hungry. Bring the foods you need to eat for lunch with you. If you know you can't trust yourself to have a little taste of those evil goodies, then try to focus on interacting with your colleagues rather than on the food. Amaze them with your tremendous willpower!

I just noticed that you are already halfway to your goal weight--that is SO outstanding! To me, that is worth so much more than a holiday cookie! Keep up the good work!

I try not to see it - and I just avoid taking that "one bite"... cause one ALWAYS turns into two.

If I can just keep from taking that first bite, it doesn't seem to be so bad. I don't see it, I don't taste it - it isn't there.

That works MOST of the time.

Good luck!

It is very difficult to avoid these tempting yummy things, but everyone here has done SOOO well and just remind yourself of where you were and where you are. I small bite won't hurt if you can keep it to a small bite. And remember, NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS! Hang in there everyone. We can do this and we will love ourselves more!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

ohhhh shellybeans I love that quote...I will have to put it up on my fridge.

but yea the holiday season has been hard for me to but I ended up giving myself a break and have been eating little bits of whatever I like...I certainly haven't eaten as much as I did pre lapband and I will probably put on a lb or two but hey...I can alwasy take it back off next year when this 'silly' season settles down.

:)

Good advice from everyone.

I dont know how I've done it but I've managed to lose over Christmas, wow.

What I did - kept up, no, INCREASED my exercise. Doug and I have walked 10km (6miles) per day - even at 10pm at night if we had to.

Ate the celebration meal, in moderation, and enjoyed it, plum pudding and all - kept the wine to a minimum. No seconds. No dinner Christmas night, strict diet the rest of the time, fruit for Breakfast, kind of thing. We've just been out for Doug's 40th birthday lunch, so no dinner again tonight and a big big long walk.

Its doable, you just have to be mindful of what goes in your mouth. Its really not what you sit down at the table to eat that does the damage, its the nibbling and mindless eating, the excessive alcohol, all the little "extras".

Over the holiays I exchanged calories for what I wanted to eat (like the old fashioned Weight Watchers). I definitely ate Cookies, candy, chocolate, pie, cake, you name it. However I ate very small amounts and I enjoyed each and every bite. I then cut back a bit on regular food and stayed within my calorie limit. Since it's only once a year, I'm not worried about it. I lost about three pounds over the last few weeks! I'm a huge believer in calories in-calories out theory of weight loss. It's been working for me so far...