Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved by Dr Garcia on May 11th and here is my adventure: Firstly I was going to have my surgery in NZ for $17000 ... then I heard how all the North Americans head down to Mexico and have great results for 1/3 the cost. I also believe that the Drs like Garcia, do as many surgery's in a month as a Dr in NZ would do in a year. I felt like I was in very good hands and had made the best decision (I was right by the way) So I left for LA on Wednesday 8th and had 2.5 days seeing all the beautiful sights of Los Angeles, shopping and eating - I was on no carbs no fats for 5 days pre op (low BMI) I kept waiting for the nerves to kick in for the upcoming surgery ... I was sure once I got on the plane for LA to San Diego they would .. but they didn't. Samuel picked me up as scheduled and took me directly to the hospital for our tests -xray, EKG & blood work. you meet Anna there and she is LOVELY shes there to answer any questions and tell you what the plan is. there was heavy traffic that night so was waiting around for about 3 hours... however, I got to meet Dr Luna so that helped pass the time (you ladies will know what I mean) when I arrived at the Marriott I was very pleasantly surprised. As I can be a bit of a 'princess' I had plans to upgrade my room to the nicest they had - but there was no need. the room was spacious w a nice bathroom and bedding ... I could totally see myself recuperating here after surgery. (this is where you'll meet Irene - lovely lady) I went down and met the girls I knew (from our Facebook group - highly recommend doing that) we had broth and a laugh as everyone was in great spirits. SATURDAY morning we all met down in the lobby around 730am for the shuttle to pick us up to take us to Florence Hospital (still not nervous) its about a 25 min drive, and right down by the ocean. I went in to see another lady from my group who was the day before and before I knew it they were calling to get changed into the robe (commando BTW) and swallow a little white pill to help me relax (didn't even feel like I needed it) I was calm as a cucumber still!. Dr Garcia came in and introduced himself and ask if I had any questions - I didn't as id done so much research on here. Then off I went being wheeled into the OR. I remember the last thing I said was 'I was hoping to be out by this point' as they were taking my gown off me (dr Luna was right beside me) and I was totally starker's with a BIG unflattering spot light on me! Then I was out! I woke up with a nebulizer mask on my face as I had asthma but was so out of it I wasn't worried. I should note here I had the single incision for an extra 1000, you can hardly see the 3 week old scar in my belly button! for the next 2 days in the hospital it was pretty much ; sleep, walk, shower and sleep some more! I had rented a few movies on my ipad to watch and never watched any because I was so sleepy. Dr Luna came to check on me often (perks of the day) and the nurses were in felt like every hour giving me Iv pain and nausea meds, checked my blood pressure 5 x a day and I had a further 3 nebulizers even tho I didn't want them. BTW you can ask for them to take a photo of your stomach when its out - great photo to show people after and gross them out! MONDAY morning I was up and showered and we headed off back to the hotel - it was around midday and they had a room for us. I think I watched TV and slept the rest of the day- I was very lucky I had NO pain or nausea at all. TUESDAY I hit the ground running! I was up and off to lay by the pool in the sun. then I went down the street to the little mall. pleasantly surprised there too! Girls and Guys there is the most beautiful boot shop upstairs by the movie theatre - a must see. I figured I couldnt really buy clothes on the trip but my feet will be the same size! $700 later and I was a happy girl (bought 2 pairs) there's also a place called Iron WOK that does the yummiest won ton Soup ... the broth of it, will be the best you've tasted after 3 days of noting much in your mouth. I sat in the sun on the balcony and had a few spoons, they let me take the rest home to share w the other girls. There's a GNC there for ready made drinks, and an Applebees does a broccoli & cheese soup - I added Water and it went down fine (keep in mind Dr Luna says I am his worst patient ever as I miss behaved) there's also the famous WALLMART where you can waste away a few hours if your bored...I was at the mall for about 3 hours - walking is GOOD! took a cab back to the hotel (too many shopping bags) its about 5 bucks. Caught up with the girls and went back to laying in the sun. WEDNESDAY (i stayed an extra night as I was from so far away) I headed back to the mall again, I had a hair appointment to have my hair blow dried cost $11. did some more shopping around and stalked up on crest toothpaste (I was born in Toronto) and tried some frozen yogurt -yum. for dinner I went into Revolution st to a place called Caesars for chicken and spinach broth ... this restaurant is beautiful and will def have to go back there when I can eat properly - its where Caesar salad was invented...it smelled AMAZING! I also bought some little gifts while there - lots of little souvenir shops on the road - and I felt very safe. THURSDAY got up early and headed back to the hospital on our way to the airport. I needed blood thinning shots as I was on a 12 hr flight home. I remember getting an email from Dr Luna a few weeks before telling me I would be getting them. I liked that I was an individual case to them and not a number, they took the time to reassure me that they wanted me to be safe and took extra care. The boarder crossing took 10 min and we were so early Samuel gave me a little tour around San Diego ...it was very sweet of him. I was still 3 hours early so I checked my luggage through and took a cab to the water front. IT IS BEAUTIUL if you have some spare time head over- its 5/10 min away. There's a bunch of nice restaurants on the water and most places have soup. I took a little tuk tuk ride around and saw all the war attractions and learned some history. I had cream of Tomato Soup (again naughty I know) but It was fine and got me through till I landed back in LA. Spent the whole next day shopping around Manhatten beach (6 hours walking) and boarded the plane at 10 pm. I arrived safe and sound in NZ and since then I have been telling everyone what a fabulous holiday I had with a little bit if surgery. I realise this isnt as easy for everyone but I cannot express enough how much I loved my experience with Ready4Achange and the whole team - Dr Garcia, Dr Luna, Anna (coordinator at Florence) Irene (coordinator at the Marriott) Samuel the driver. I have even referred a friend who lives in OZ for her to go see the team as Im that confident to refer people. side note: one of the ladies in my group had complications (not to do with the surgery) and she was so happy with the care she received and felt very safe in they knew what they were doing. she had to be taken to SD hospital and spend a few days in ICU. she still raves about the Drs and care she received while there. So to end this very long note - if you are still researching who to go to the i can say without a doubt you wont be disappointed in Dr Garcia and the whole team. They are amazing and I cant sing their praises enough ... if this review gets someone to choose them, then I fell like I've made a dent in repaying them for everything they've done for me ... much love x

Agreed on the Dr Luna topic! ;)

Very happy for you and how well your surgery went. I too had Dr Garcia, he is an amazingly skilled surgeon. Please be careful about boasting about eating broccoli and Tomato Soup. These foods are not approved two days out from surgery. Please don't give newbies the idea that they too should/can eat these foods, you can end up in deep troubles by doing this; remember you have just had 85% of your stomach removed, follow the eating plan that your Doctor gave you. Good Luck.

I was sleeved by Dr Garcia on May 11th and here is my adventure: Firstly I was going to have my surgery in NZ for 17000 ... then I heard how all the North Americans head down to Mexico and have great results for 1/3 the cost. I also believe that the Drs like Garcia' date=' do as many surgery's in a month as a Dr in NZ would do in a year. I felt like I was in very good hands and had made the best decision (I was right by the way) So I left for LA on Wednesday 8th and had 2.5 days seeing all the beautiful sights of Los Angeles, shopping and eating - I was on no carbs no fats for 5 days pre op (low BMI) I kept waiting for the nerves to kick in for the upcoming surgery ... I was sure once I got on the plane for LA to San Diego they would .. but they didn't. Samuel picked me up as scheduled and took me directly to the hospital for our tests -xray, EKG & blood work. you meet Anna there and she is LOVELY shes there to answer any questions and tell you what the plan is. there was heavy traffic that night so was waiting around for about 3 hours... however, I got to meet Dr Luna so that helped pass the time (you ladies will know what I mean) when I arrived at the Marriott I was very pleasantly surprised. As I can be a bit of a 'princess' I had plans to upgrade my room to the nicest they had - but there was no need. the room was spacious w a nice bathroom and bedding ... I could totally see myself recuperating here after surgery. (this is where you'll meet Irene - lovely lady) I went down and met the girls I knew (from our Facebook group - highly recommend doing that) we had broth and a laugh as everyone was in great spirits. SATURDAY morning we all met down in the lobby around 730am for the shuttle to pick us up to take us to florence hospital (still not nervous) its about a 25 min drive, and right down by the ocean. I went in to see another lady from my group who was the day before and before I knew it they were calling to get changed into the robe (commando BTW) and swallow a little white pill to help me relax (didn't even feel like I needed it) I was calm as a cucumber still!. Dr Garcia came in and introduced himself and ask if I had any questions - I didn't as id done so much research on here. Then off I went being wheeled into the OR. I remember the last thing I said was 'I was hoping to be out by this point' as they were taking my gown off me (dr Luna was right beside me) and I was totally starker's with a BIG unflattering spot light on me! Then I was out! I woke up with a nebulizer mask on my face as I had asthma but was so out of it I wasn't worried. I should note here I had the single incision for an extra 1000, you can hardly see the 3 week old scar in my belly button! for the next 2 days in the hospital it was pretty much ; sleep, walk, shower and sleep some more! I had rented a few movies on my ipad to watch and never watched any because I was so sleepy. Dr Luna came to check on me often (perks of the day) and the nurses were in felt like every hour giving me Iv pain and nausea meds, checked my blood pressure 5 x a day and I had a further 3 nebulizers even tho I didn't want them. BTW you can ask for them to take a photo of your stomach when its out - great photo to show people after and gross them out! MONDAY morning I was up and showered and we headed off back to the hotel - it was around midday and they had a room for us. I think I watched TV and slept the rest of the day- I was very lucky I had NO pain or nausea at all. TUESDAY I hit the ground running! I was up and off to lay by the pool in the sun. then I went down the street to the little mall. pleasantly surprised there too! Girls and Guys there is the most beautiful boot shop upstairs by the movie theatre - a must see. I figured I couldnt really buy clothes on the trip but my feet will be the same size! 700 later and I was a happy girl (bought 2 pairs) there's also a place called Iron WOK that does the yummiest won ton Soup ... the broth of it, will be the best you've tasted after 3 days of noting much in your mouth. I sat in the sun on the balcony and had a few spoons, they let me take the rest home to share w the other girls. There's a GNC there for ready made drinks, and an Applebees does a broccoli & cheese soup - I added Water and it went down fine (keep in mind Dr Luna says I am his worst patient ever as I miss behaved) there's also the famous WALLMART where you can waste away a few hours if your bored...I was at the mall for about 3 hours - walking is GOOD! took a cab back to the hotel (too many shopping bags) its about 5 bucks. Caught up with the girls and went back to laying in the sun. WEDNESDAY (i stayed an extra night as I was from so far away) I headed back to the mall again, I had a hair appointment to have my hair blow dried cost 11. did some more shopping around and stalked up on crest toothpaste (I was born in Toronto) and tried some frozen yogurt -yum. for dinner I went into Revolution st to a place called Caesars for chicken and spinach broth ... this restaurant is beautiful and will def have to go back there when I can eat properly - its where Caesar salad was invented...it smelled AMAZING! I also bought some little gifts while there - lots of little souvenir shops on the road - and I felt very safe. THURSDAY got up early and headed back to the hospital on our way to the airport. I needed blood thinning shots as I was on a 12 hr flight home. I remember getting an email from Dr Luna a few weeks before telling me I would be getting them. I liked that I was an individual case to them and not a number, they took the time to reassure me that they wanted me to be safe and took extra care. The boarder crossing took 10 min and we were so early Samuel gave me a little tour around San Diego ...it was very sweet of him. I was still 3 hours early so I checked my luggage through and took a cab to the Water front. IT IS BEAUTIUL if you have some spare time head over- its 5/10 min away. There's a bunch of nice restaurants on the water and most places have soup. I took a little tuk tuk ride around and saw all the war attractions and learned some history. I had cream of Tomato Soup (again naughty I know) but It was fine and got me through till I landed back in LA. Spent the whole next day shopping around Manhatten beach (6 hours walking) and boarded the plane at 10 pm. I arrived safe and sound in NZ and since then I have been telling everyone what a fabulous holiday I had with a little bit if surgery. I realise this isnt as easy for everyone but I cannot express enough how much I loved my experience with Ready4Achange and the whole team - Dr Garcia, Dr Luna, Anna (coordinator at Florence) Irene (coordinator at the Marriott) Samuel the driver. I have even referred a friend who lives in OZ for her to go see the team as Im that confident to refer people. side note: one of the ladies in my group had complications (not to do with the surgery) and she was so happy with the care she received and felt very safe in they knew what they were doing. she had to be taken to SD hospital and spend a few days in ICU. she still raves about the Drs and care she received while there. So to end this very long note - if you are still researching who to go to the i can say without a doubt you wont be disappointed in Dr Garcia and the whole team. They are amazing and I cant sing their praises enough ... if this review gets someone to choose them, then I fell like I've made a dent in repaying them for everything they've done for me ... much love x[/quote']

Great post! I will be going to Dr. Garcia on August 23! I am so excited and ready for my new lifestyle change.

:D

So happy and fun to hear about your adventures after I left. What a whirlwind and I thought I was the busybody walking for hours around San Diego.< /p>

So good meeting you in person and I wish you all the best.

Keep us updated

Dr Luna is truly a gift

you did what you had to do. I would not worry about it

you did what you had to do. I would not worry about it

I wasn't worried at all .. I was just clarifying in response to a comment lol

How are u soon "Lisa" x

I'm so glad to hear about your experience at florence hospital. I'm going there on the 10th. My doctor is also Dr. Garcia.

Lucky you! My advice is dont over think too much - I was so worried about what to pack and I litterly used none of it lol I just slept & didn't even turn the tv on once ... As long as u bring your phone to keep in contact w support people you'll be set - ill look out for your story! X

I wasn't worried at all .. I was just clarifying in response to a comment lol

How are u soon "Lisa" x

I am GOOD!!

I became obsessed with the scale the first two weeks, so put myself on a self-imposed timeout. I will weigh myself for the first time in a week tomorrow. I feel thinner and my face has really thinned out. I am guessing I am about another 2-5 lbs down which will put me at 20 lbs total.

I took my measurements again today and am down 4 inches around my chest

I have also stopped hanging out in the kitchen worrying about "SOUP"...I began buying broth at an asian place and have now switched to their homemade egg flower Soup. I have found that not obsessing with making enormous portions of Soup it is easier for me to not nosh so much.

Behaviors have definitely changed over the past three weeks.

I have also felt this SURGE of energy that has come out of nowhere. I have literally been going from room to room purging things, childrens clothes, I got rid of a box of size 12 clothing (I have no interest in being a size 12 anymore!!), painting two rooms, etc. Quite the busybody.

I also decided after being home and back to work for two days to take a leave of absence from work. I felt I owed it to myself to heal and my manager was being a ****...so I took care of that.

I have found that I LOVE scrambled eggs even more now.

First of all, I could not eat scrambled eggs with my lapband, I always threw them up, so I avoided them. Now with the lapband GONE and moving into stage three being able to eat scrambled eggs is the best thing since sliced bread.< /p>

How are you doing? Stats?

Haha yes I'm seeing a difference in my face too! Loving that ! And my clothes are just looking way better one me .. I've lost 17 pounds since surgery. I've been living on these fresh soup/meals we have here ... I just pulse them through the blender... I had a Thai green chicken curry the other day = yum! I only eat about 1/3 of a cup at a time and seem to eat every 2 hours. I was constantly starving all the time on the 2 weeks of liquids but feeling much better now I'm on purée. I went back to work the day after I got home and have been totally fine! I've been keeping very busy but no "walks" or exercise for another few weeks - I'm in no hurry! Lol xo

I am in no hurry to hit the gym either. I am not wanting a race, just nice and steady. The time will come to hit the gym hard, in the meantime I am busy enough and love my naps. I know what you mean for the every two hours thing. I don't feel "hungry", but can feel my blood sugar getting low and try to have a piece of cheese, scramble an egg or get some Soup in.

you are doing great!!

What a great story! So happy it went well for you, I think it was a very courageous thing to do.

Do you know if there are any restrictions on receiving follow up care back home? I discovered when preparing for the surgery (I had mine here in Auckland) that if there were any complications that I may have to pay for the additional follow up care as the DHB (or ACC for misadventure if surgery occurs offshore) may not cover complications from privately purchased surgery. It didn't stop me but did surprise me!

I have been looking into options for plastics as I am sure some will be required for the mess of skin on my tummy (i am only 10 kilos from goal) and I have wondered about going overseas for this but the complications and follow up stuff has me a bit cautious so I would be very interested to know what your experiences have been.