Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery May 15 2013- my journey so far

Me-

5'9"

Highest Weight 277

Surgery Weight 266

Today's weight 247

Surgeon- Dr. Greg Jossart, San Francisco, CA

Surgery Date- May 15, 2013

So, I am new to this site (meaning mostly lurking, reading and learning from everyone) I decided to write my story because I feel like something is wrong with me because nothing is wrong. I read every post where there seems to be some horrible side effect or condition. Don't get me wrong.. After surgery I had an allergic reaction to some pain medicine that I was given and could not function and was kept in the hospital an extra day. I decided to give up all pain meds and felt much better, but during the two days where the hospital was injecting me every few hours I seriously was questioning my decision to have surgery. Once at home things greatly improved and I needed no medicines, was not nauseous and had no trouble swollowing. I do struggle with getting in all the Protein and Water in but I get more in each day and currently am getting in about 40-50 grams of Protein and between 30 oz (bad day) to 50 oz (good day) of Water. I use sugarfree popcicles, broth and Jello to help. My tummy makes a a symphony of noises now, gurgles, swirls, twirls and more, I occaisonally feel head hunger especially when watching tv and all the food commercials come on. I walk a lot, to get all the gas out and boy oh boy there was/is a lot. I think it is mostly out now. I am trying to follow my dr's plan as much as I can. My Dr's protocol is thin liquids for 15 days, then soft foods for 15 days, then slowly introduce regular foods one at a time obviously focusing first on protein while maintaining a 600 calorie diet. The one thing I am having a hard time with is feeling full. I don't feel hungry and I dont feel full. Maybe because I am only on liquids but I can sip all day. It takes me 20 min to 30 to drink a full bottle of protein. Anyhow,,, thanks for letting my voice my journey this far.

ps,, as a side note I know that people have very strong opinions here and things can get quite heated,,, to clarify,, I am not bragging, complaining just looking to share and learn. Thanks and I hope you have much success!

Sounds like things are progressing nicely for you! I hate that head hunger while I'm watching TV. I never noticed how darn many food commercials there were until I had my surgery!!

I know those pesky commercials are the worst for me. I just read somewhere that if you want to eat healthy,, eat foods that don't have a commercial!

I just came from my 2 wk f/u appt. Sleeved 5/15 too:)

I told the Dr that liquids go down easy. He said that's good. They pretty much just pass through the stomach so you can't drink too much as long as it's no or low calorie.

Having my 1st "meal"right now!! 1/4 cup refried Beans w/ 1 tsp salsa. Only had a couple mini bites but so far so good.

I like my next 2 week food list even though it's called Full Liquids there are some actual foods on it.

Sounds like you're going great!!

Thanks MI.. mmm your "meal" sounds heavenly! Congrats on your success so far!

I too had mine may 15. I'm doing really well also. No vomiting. Very little nausea. Getting down what I can. Started soft foods too. I also read and learn from here we have allot in common.

Nice to read yours :)

Sounds like things are progressing nicely for you! I hate that head hunger while I'm watching TV. I never noticed how darn many food commercials there were until I had my surgery!!

Omg....mee tooooo ......

That is awesome! I don't have a surgery date yet, but I certainly hope my side effects are as minimal as yours! Congrats to you!