Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dairy vs. soy vs. almond milk?

Assuming I don't have any trouble tolerating lactose after surgery (I don't now, but I know that changes sometimes), is there a nutritional reason for me to choose either almond milk or soy milk over dairy milk after surgery? It looks to me like dairy milk gives me the most bang for my caloric buck in terms of Protein and some other nutrients, but am I missing something? Thanks!

See the quick comparison chart I just created to help you choose.....

I drink Light Soy Milk, and occasionally some coconut milk (for a fun, creamy flavour).

Cow's milk has too many carbs for my liking. I'd rather get my carbs from food I can chew, rather than drink (since I try to keep the carbs moderately low).

post-26689-13813666098753_thumb.jpg

Assuming I don't have any trouble tolerating lactose after surgery (I don't now, but I know that changes sometimes), is there a nutritional reason for me to choose either almond milk or soy milk over dairy milk after surgery? It looks to me like dairy milk gives me the most bang for my caloric buck in terms of Protein and some other nutrients, but am I missing something? Thanks!

Since I was discharged from the hospital, I started each day and ended each day with a cup of skim milk. Three years later, I still do this. The others have very little protein, about the same as a serving of Ritz Crackers. LoL Anyway, I really don't know about the carbs someone mentioned, my physician never focused on carbs unless his patient isn't losing like they should. The skim milk counted as part of my liquid for the day and the 9 grams of protein per glass, is always nice.

I really don't know about the carbs someone mentioned, my physician never focused on carbs unless his patient isn't losing like they should.

Though your doctor may not have specifically mentioned carbs, I am sure your post-op diet has reduced them substantially. The main reason being that we MUST have sufficient Protein intake to maintain our muscle base. That leaves very little room for carbs. So you are dealing with carbs (and focusing on them) by ignoring them!

Carbs are what got most of us to the point of surgery. Whether from liquids (high fructose corn Syrup in soda is the main culprit), candy, chocolate, breads (we love our bread, pizza and pasta/noodles!), or Desserts such as ice cream, pastries, donuts, cakes, Cookies, etc. And dont' forget potatoes (fried, baked, mashed, scalloped........they are big-time favourites!)

If you look at all the things I've listed above, post-op you have probably eliminated ALL of these items. In comparison to what you were eating pre-op, you are on a SUPER-LOW carb diet now!

That being said, not all carbs are bad for you. The body needs complex carbs, such as those found in beans/legumes, grains (such as barley, bulgar, wheat berries, and quinoa), and, believe it or not, even popcorn (air popped, no butter in small quantities (3 cups popped).

This is especially true as you begin to increase your activity levels and are training harder. Your body needs the energy from complex carb metabolism to feed itself and help you achieve your performance goals.

If you choose to drink skim milk, that's great! I was simply was showing the difference between "milk" choices and my preference.

If you are approaching your post-op nutrition holistically, you need to be fully informed as to what the body needs, how it uses it, and what your food is made of. I learned the value of reading labels, and opening my mind to new food knowledge, years ago .

I only really started putting my self-taught nutrition knowledge into practical use about 13 months ago (1 month before my surgery). As a result, I have been able to lose close to 140 lbs in that year and obtain a level of fitness I have not had in 25 years (when I was 18 yrs old). And it only gets better from here!

Though your doctor may not have specifically mentioned carbs, I am sure your post-op diet has reduced them substantially. The main reason being that we MUST have sufficient Protein intake to maintain our muscle base. That leaves very little room for carbs. So you are dealing with carbs (and focusing on them) by ignoring them!

Carbs are what got most of us to the point of surgery. Whether from liquids (high fructose corn Syrup in soda is the main culprit), candy, chocolate, breads (we love our bread, pizza and pasta/noodles!), or Desserts such as ice cream, pastries, donuts, cakes, Cookies, etc. And dont' forget potatoes (fried, baked, mashed, scalloped........they are big-time favourites!)

If you look at all the things I've listed above, post-op you have probably eliminated ALL of these items. In comparison to what you were eating pre-op, you are on a SUPER-LOW carb diet now!

That being said, not all carbs are bad for you. The body needs complex carbs, such as those found in beans/legumes, grains (such as barley, bulgar, wheat berries, and quinoa), and, believe it or not, even popcorn (air popped, no butter in small quantities (3 cups popped).

This is especially true as you begin to increase your activity levels and are training harder. Your body needs the energy from complex carb metabolism to feed itself and help you achieve your performance goals.

If you choose to drink skim milk, that's great! I was simply was showing the difference between "milk" choices and my preference.

If you are approaching your post-op nutrition holistically, you need to be fully informed as to what the body needs, how it uses it, and what your food is made of. I learned the value of reading labels, and opening my mind to new food knowledge, years ago .

I only really started putting my self-taught nutrition knowledge into practical use about 13 months ago (1 month before my surgery). As a result, I have been able to lose close to 140 lbs in that year and obtain a level of fitness I have not had in 25 years (when I was 18 yrs old). And it only gets better from here!

Sadly, nothing you named is 'off limits' to me except soft drinks. There are things I CHOOSE not to eat, I.E. scalloped potatoes and macaroni and cheese, but I had pizza Sunday after church. The difference is, now I have one piece of a large pizza or maybe two of a sm or medium pizza, always choosing the smallest slices.....where as prior to surgery, I would split a large pizza with my husband. I suppose you could say I am on a low carb diet, a low calorie diet or a low fat diet......I say I am on NO diet. I feel like I eat like a naturally thin person. It was ALL about portions with me, not junk food, I've always preferred a New York Strip steak with a loaded baked potato over chips, soft drinks or donuts!!! I still eat the steak and baked potatoes, but now I weigh and eat 4 oz of grilled steak and 1/8 cup of baked potato, and an eighth of a cup of 1% cottage cheese and 4 baby brussel sprouts VS a ten oz steak and a large potato. Not even mentioning the side salad with low fat ranch (of course, low fat!!!) with croutons!! OMG -seriously, THIS is how I got fat over the years. Splitting, buffalo wing for buffalo wing at OutBack with my husband!!! The things we did....gross me out now! I started reading labels 15 months before I had surgery, eight months before it even crossed my mind. DH had chest pains and shortness of breath. Heart cath, 95% blockage! Praise God, not a heart attack, he was lucky. It changed our life and how we ate. He dropped 40 lbs in less than a year, some people thought he was sick but in all reality he was healthier than he'd been in years. He was in his late 40's!!! I had to meet/we had to meet, with a cardiac dietitian before he was discharged, and I attended two cooking classes at the hospital, sponsored by the cardiac dept. We went home and threw away a LOT of things, all the things that listed partially hydrogenated in their ingredients.My point is this, my life has changed, my relationship with food has changed. It's all a game to me and I'm winning. This is what I do now..... Small portions. I weigh and measure all my food. I log it on line and keep my calories between 1250 and 1350 per day. Exercise, well, I am not an exercise guru, it was NOT the reason I lost weight. I made lifestyle changes, this is my new normal.

I just wanted to check back in and say thank you all for the great information. I have started making Protein Shakes with a 2 - 1 ratio of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and Water, and so far I love it. I am meeting my Protein goals, although right now I am pre-op and I know I may need to get more protein into what I drink after surgery. Thanks again!

I like unsweetened almond milk but to be honest, besides coffee I try not to drink my calories, and if I am looking I prefer regular 2% milk.

I like unsweetened almond milk but to be honest, besides coffee I try not to drink my calories, and if I am looking I prefer regular 2% milk.

Yes, absolutely I prefer to avoid "drinking my calories" as well. Good advice!

For those who still want/need milk of some kind in their lives however, at least it's good to know there are a variety of options that provide varied benefits at different "price" points (calorie/protein/carb cost).

:)

I'll have to look for Hood milk. Which store did you get it from?

Silk light vanilla soy is really tasty with your Protein Shake mix. Lowin calori No need to drink nonfat milk again if you choose to take that path. Low calorie too at 70 calories with plenty of Protein. I drank silk light vanilla soy until about month 7 where I stopped drinking all "milk" and instead get Calcium exclusively from supplements. I do this as part of my Paleo diet.