Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friend wants lap band

This is a long distance friend 20 years older than me. I really want to try to talk her out of it. Are there links etc I can send her?

Here's a blog from someone who had one and hated it. I

http://tryingtostayskinnyintexas.blogspot.com/

I think you probably can't talk her out of it if she has her mind made up, but if she is still in the research phase, you might be able to make a difference. One thing that I would STRESS to her is that she SHOULD have a backup plan in case of band failure.Either extra money for a second surgery (sleeve or RNY) or a plan to be able to lose her band and still maintain her weight. I really think the band should be marketed as TEMPORARY.

There is a great article on ObesityHelp.com that covers all the surgeries and the pros and cons. I think I made a copy of it. Will try to find for you.

It's called Choice of Bariatric Procedure: A Philosophy Obtained in 20 years of Bariatric Practice by Mitchell Roslin, MD, FACS.

To locate on your own, Go to Obesity Help.com. Look under "Articles" on the top left navigation bar. When the list appears, go to bottom and click on "Older Posts." It appeared April 29, 2013.

It is excellent and should provide you and your friend with the information she needs.,

Don't try to talk her out of her decision. That is like others talking you out of your choice. Support her and her decisions. that is what a friend does. If she does all of her research, she will naturally go to the option that she feels is best. She will also see the high incidence of lap band/realize band reversals.

I disagree, TALK HER OUT OF IT! haha! Show her the links posted above, tell her about all the complications and very low success rates. I'm sure her doctor had something to do with her decision. Don't be pushy, just concerned. Good luck!

I did not have the lap band, but I was scheduled for a 10:30 am procedure and there was one person in front of me who was doing a revision to the sleeve at 8:30 am. At 1:30pm I am still waiting to see my surgeon and he finally shows up at 2pm and I asked him what was taking so long and he said the lady in front of me had two hernias wrapped around her lap band and there was complications from the hernias. So advise her about the risks and let her make the decision on her own. Let her do the research.

I disagree, TALK HER OUT OF IT! haha! Show her the links posted above, tell her about all the complications and very low success rates. I'm sure her doctor had something to do with her decision. Don't be pushy, just concerned. Good luck!

HAHAHA LMAO.... the key is don't be pushy, make her well informed

Yep, all she has to do is go to lapband talk and search complications. Lapband has the highest rate of chronic complications. It should be banned.

I just had a revision. When I was getting the lapband I wanted it because it was reversible. Problem was 4 1/2 years out still couldn't get it to work for me. No one told me it would probably have to come out whether it worked or not so that never factored into my equation. When I would have it checked "nothing was wrong with it". But when my surgeon did my revision he thought it would take 3 hrs or less but took 6 hrs. The scar tissue had grown around the band so much it was starting to cut off the hole where food was suppose to go through. When he finally got it out he had to balloon the area up where the band had been to open it properly because it was squeezing it together and it was malformed. The sleeve was my second choice 4 1/2 years ago but I sure wish it had been my first. 4 1/2 years wasted.......:(:(

after seminar witlh surgeon, i was all set to have the lapband

we spoke later - he gave the benefits of the sleeve - luckily i changed my mind

cris cristy having WLS - can't figure why he would have the lapband :angry:

my/many other dr.'s too - don't perform the lapband anymore :angry:

i "think" many people still haven't heard of the sleeve???

oh wellllll.........

kathy