Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery before starting grad school

I was thinking about scheduling my surgery for August, which is a couple weeks before I start grad school full time. Is this a terrible idea? Should I wait until I have a month long break in December? I am not going to be working, but I will be taking 13 hours of classes in a MBA program. What was your energy/mental alertness like after the surgery?

I am doing self-pay with Dr. Kelly in Tijuana.

After the first 3 weeks I felt fine and at the 4 week mark was cleared to work out. It's all about how you are going to feel. For me I dont see the issue in doing it few weeks before school.

Can you maybe move it up a week or two? Everyone is so different that's it's hard to tell people what's doable. I was fine after my surgery and I've been through grad school and I know I could have done it .. But some patients have a really tough time with surgery and energy. Maybe, if you could give yourself at least an extra week to cover just in case you have a difficult time it would be safer. Better safe than sorry. If you don't need the extra week then it's extra time to prep for school. All's good :D

I'm a grad student and I had it done right in the middle of the semester! I spoke to each and every one of my professors as well as my major advisor and let them know I was having surgery (I didnt do into detail about it) and I would need to be out for two weeks. I probably could have gone back a week after surgery, but I figured I already had the material and I could do it at home. Plus, personally, that second week made a huge difference. I just felt rested. Again, I cant speak for you or anyone else, especially since I had surgery in the states and didnt have to fly after being discharged. Talk to your doctors and see what they recommend. Good luck to you :)

Thank you so much! Everyone gave great answers. I guess I have been scaring myself unneccessarily.

First of all congrats on your future surgery. I had mine two weeks ago and will be starting classes in two weeks. I'm just working on my bachelors- so my work load may not be as much but I'll be taking 12 credit hours this summer and working about 35 hours a week. I also did self-pay in Mexico. During the first and second weeks I was tired at times but honestly I feel great and wish classes would begin earlier. I think if you prepare in advance and make a definite eating plan you should be ok - but If it were possible doing it even a couple of weeks earlier might help. Good luck!!!