Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been in "the process" to get the sleeve since October 2012. I have done all the things that they required me to do! Now, I recieved THE call this morning that I am approved and the date they gave me is now OFFICIAL! The problem is as I waited I was so pumped and doing EVERYTHING they required but after the nurse called me I AM COMPLETELY SCARED and I said, "this is really happening". I have never been this full of emotions in my life...Im scared, im nervous, im anxious, im worried, im confused, im happy and some other things I cant even express, but WHY? I have come this far to feel like THIS, I dont get it

What's wrong with you???

Nothing! :)

You are going through all of the emotions that most of us went through when this became "real"

And for most of us it became real when we got that date to anticipate, obsess and worry about.

Now is the time to take a few deep cleansing breaths... You've worked hard to get this far, but the reality is that most of the hard work is still to come, I know that can be daunting but going into it knowing there are going to be challenges will help you when they come.

I think what you are feeling is good, it's part of the process of really preparing for the major life change you are about to make.

In others words, I would worry if you weren't feeling all these things :)

Everyone gets some pre game jitters. The surgery will go fine you won't feel a thing since you will be sleeping. When you wake up you might be a little panicky. I was when I woke and then I seen someone I knew. Then its all downhill from there. You will be in a little pain but nothing major. The give you pain meds. I had a happy button that used every chance I got because it was awesome. The worst part for me was drinking this stuff so they could do a xray of the stomach for leaks. That stuff was nasty.

You will be fine just relax.

Neverbethesame again, thank you for posting what I have been thinking/feeling for over 3 weeks now but too fearful to put it in writing! I too have a date, June 24th, and I feel the same way. It is nice to know I am not alone in this thinking. I thought I was letting my negative side bear its ugly head but reading this confirms what I am feeling is normal. I plan on going to a few support meetings through my bariatric practice in the next couple of weeks to get some perspective. I'm happy for you getting a date for surgery and wish you much success on your journey. And again THANK YOU for having the courage to post what you are feeling.

i feel the same too. excited, scared, nervous, over-whelmed with emotions and things i need to do, fix, get ready, arrange, worry about, fuss over, etc etc etc. but the i also feel the best joy i've felt in a long time. i am going to a support group meeting at the hospital tomorrow, so then i will have them and you guys for support. we will support you too.

You are not alone at all! My date is June 13th, and I'm required to do a 4 week preop which started Thursday. I spent the beginning of the week eating the things I thought I may miss, but it turned out they really don't do much for me anymore. Then I received my post op guidelines. As I began to read through them, I realized how big a change this would be, so the combination of going through a system cleanse because of the diet and this realization actually put me in mourning for a few days and I was REALLY doubting my choice. I'm sane again (gotten over the caffeine withdrawal) and I realize this is it! It's the best thing I can do for myself, but nothing is going to be the same again. What you feeling is completely normal. You're letting go of the old you, which is terrifying. You can do this and there is nothing wrong with you!

Congrats! You'll be so glad for the sleeve. It's a great tool!

It's totally normal! This is the beginning of your new life! Good luck!

I wanna thank each and every 1 of u bcuz without this forum, I think I would be completely lost. I have support from my family but nobdy has had to take these measures...hell nobdy is even this big BUT I am glad that I have all of you to cry with, vent to, and whteva else I may need to do after this is done. Again thank you for making me feel normal and not crazy for feeling this way

I felt the same way and now I'm proud to say I am an official sleever having had my surgery on 5/13. I still get a little freaked out thinking about all the changes, for me it was the fact that food has been a constant source of comfort to me my entire life. So, don't worry it's normal to be confused and a little scattered in how you feel, if will be worth it to look forward to a much healthier future!

I ain't going to lie it is scary as hell but it's the best decision I made in my life. I would not have done it any differently . Iam only 2 months out and still get freaked out about something's but I feel great and according to everyone I look healthier . You will luv your decision once you start seeing and feeling results. Good luck to you.

I went through the same thing when I got my surgery date. I cried for no reason, I worried, I stressed, lost sleep, etc. I don't know why because I really really wanted the surgery. Now I have no regrets. This whole process is a marathon and the insurance approval period was stressful. Once you have the surgery you will likely feel a sense of relief. Then your next journey of weight loss will begin.

highest weight = 228 DOS = 219 CW = 206 DOS was May 7th 2013

I was sleeved on May 21st. I cried the whole week leading up to surgery and cried the whole way to the operating room. This is a very emotional life change we are going through and only those of us who have been through it understand. I was an emotional mess and even had thoughts of backing out!! I can now honestly say that all the stress was unnecessary, but that is uncontrollable!! I am now 5 days post op and doing GREAT! So happy I didnt back out because of my nerves!! Having all these emotions is completely normal and we all go through it. You will get through the surgery and you will be just fine! Good luck on your journey!

Best of luck to you! There have been lots of supportive comments here, and the most important thing to remember is that emotional reactions are going to be a normal and expected part of the entire process. You are likely to be surprised at your reactions at various times during your journey. (I'm sure you haven't gotten to this stage in the process without becoming patently aware of that...) Going to support groups, as noted in previous responses, through your clinic (if they are available) is a great idea, and I am very thankful to have found this community as well. I would also add that it would probably be extremely helpful to find a therapist to help you sort out your feelings and reactions. Certainly not out of any mental health challenge on your part, but simply to talk it all out. I'm early in the process of getting scheduled for surgery, but losing weight in general seems to almost peel back a lot of emotions that we don't expect. I anticipate having a lot of emotions to address along the way, and having a tight circle of friends that are in the mental health field makes me comfortable in the knowledge that seeking out a professional sounding board and guidance most definitely does NOT mean that we have any sort of mental deficiency.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Wishing you unlimited support,

DD

(Yay! I survived my first post! Hope it is helpful and didn't come off like a know-it-all.)

I was sleeved on the 22nd. I cried almost everyday for two weeks before, and cried until I was taken back to the or. It's scary. My surgeon called me the night before and told me if I wasn't nervous that wouldn't be normal. It's a huge leap. I am five days post op and I keep sitting here saying "wow I did this." Everything will be okay. I was so scared, angry, and I even thought about not going through with it it's only been the five days, but I've already lost 10 lbs, and I'm super proud of myself.