Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about surgery in Mexico

My insurance doesn't cover the sleeve surgery here in CT. I am at a loss with what I should do. My friend recently had the weight loss surgery and introduced me to this site. I have been doing research on getting surgery in Mexico.

It seems everyone has a good experience getting surgery with Dr. Ponce and that is who i am looking into.

I just have concerns about have surgery in Mexico. I seems a little sketchy because it is so cheap.

Any Suggestions?

It's not cheap because of quality it's cheap because of the difference in cost of living compared to here. Most people in MX can not afford this surgery in there country because it's comparable to their cost of living. Just like here.. Most can't afford it because it's comparable to the cost of living here. EXPENSIVE. Also, it will make you feel better to know that the MX surgeon have a vast more amount of experience with bariatric surgery than the surgeons here in the states. My daughter has insurance coverage here, but prefers to have hers done with Dr Ponce because of his experience, professionalism, and great mannerism. My other daughter is also going down there because we have full confidence in his abilities.

all of his reviews seem to be very good. Just the thought of surgery in mexico is scary!

I thought that with ,y first surgery down there many years ago, but I was so impressed I went back many times. It's hard to explain the difference, but the care and professionalism is so outstanding it's worth the trip.

Everyone thinks of that because surgery in another country is still "taboo"...As for us that have gone over to Mexico to have surgery it's the best money we've ever spent.....I had the VSG in April with Dr. Garcia and it was one of the easiest things I've done in my life!!! 22lbs down might I add :)

This is my 2nd WLS with Dr. Rumbaut. He did my Lapband in 2006. The complications I had recently with the band are in NO WAY related to the work he did. He's a wonderful surgeon, terrific staff (still with him 7 yrs later), etc. That's why I chose to return to him for the sleeve. He is one of the more expensive MX surgeons, but I wasn't really looking for "bargain" prices...just a surgeon I trusted. Especially since I was doing a revision, it made sense to have the surgeon who did the band be the one to take it out.

Having surgery in MX can be a bit frustrating, especially if you don't speak the language. Depending upon where you go, you'll find some English speakers, but it can be hit and miss. Even WITH that, the care is very good, cleanliness is awesome, etc. The care IS different here...for example, while I was in the hospital after surgery, I had my temp and blood pressure taken ONCE. Not like the every 4 hrs being woken up like in a US hospital. It might be different in different hospitals and dependent upon YOUR health...but I don't have bp issues, was feeling good, etc., so they tend to leave you be a bit more...which is actually something I LIKE.

I had my surgery at at the end of February in Mexicali. I found the standard of care at the hospital to be excellent. Dr. Aceves did a great job and fixed my hernia as well. I think you need to do your research etc. I chose a hospital that provided more care because I am 50+ and figured I might need it. Anyway... only good things to say about my experience.

Remember, the first human heart transplant was done in South Africa. Geography has nothing to do with the natural skills of a surgeon, although the quality of their medical school education probably does. I am having "sleeve" surgery done by Dr Aceves who instructs other surgeons on how to do the procedure for Johnson & Johnson (manufactures some of the specialty instruments). However I might have some worries IF my surgeon was educated in say Somalia ? or Angola. Most of the Mexican surgeons are the cream that has risen to the top.

I had my lapband in Mexico - 2008

I had my revision to sleeve in Mexico - 11 days post op

I have also many of my friends who have either had plastic surgery, lapbands or revisions as well.

Even if I had the money and the time to go to a US doctor, I will be quite honest...I would still have chosen my doctor in Mexico. Many of the top Mexican doctors have been performing these surgeries on a daily basis for years. They have perfected the surgery. I was in and out of my revision in just over an hour, which to me is amazing at how just dang efficient they are.

I am thrilled with my results and only now wish I had done this last year.

I hear great things about him. Of course I presonally think my Dr is #1. I hear that Dr. Ponce is good:) you have nothing to worry about, people go to Mexico everyday for surgery!

I had the same issues Jenna, I was terrified .. I actually canceled and got my money back once before I finally went through with it.. and I thank God every day that I did. It is different, I am not going to sugar coat it. 10 of us in a van pulling into a strip mall to have major surgery.. I was in a full panic attack.. until I went inside.. there it was a crisp clean medical clinic, very nice people, very friendly, We all 10 had our surgeries that day/night and we all did very well.. I personally had to travel from the hotel to the clinic for check ups.. I would rather stay in a hospital and not do the travel if it was an option .. also there is no delivery of the pain medication.. you only get it in your iv when you drive back to the clinic. Most of us suffered from gas pain more than anything else.. some of the girls looked like they had not even had surgery and felt great.. they were smaller in size if that matters or not im not sure. But all in all, I knew it was cheaper for many reasons and My Doctor did a fantastic job, I have not had any issues what so ever with my surgery and one of the ladies that had surgery with me was checked out in the States when she returned home.. the Doc said " well, he knew what he was doing, that is for certain" . My cost was $4,500 , safe, clean, caring, very nice hotel, popcicles a plenty, free broth from the kitchen.. I would do it over and over and over again.. I do plan to return next year to get the flab removed lol

I am also considering MX, but am worried about finding follow up care in Maryland, if needed. I've heard of others being refused by US doctors because of this.

I was told that most the time we wouldn't need follow up care. A lot of people don't do follow up care. I'm just worried about if something went wrong when I get back, would they help me. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what they say. Ill let you know!

So my doctor told me that they would be more then happy to see me after surgery! Which is awesome. The only thing that she stressed was that if I went to her after surgery for my 3 month check up, she would code the bill as after surgery care and my insurance may NOT cover it. She said to check with them first. Now, getting in touch with insurance is going to be the killer. If they will cover it, I will have my date for surgery set in Mexico with Dr. Quiniones!

So my doctor told me that they would be more then happy to see me after surgery! Which is awesome. The only thing that she stressed was that if I went to her after surgery for my 3 month check up' date=' she would code the bill as after surgery care and my insurance may NOT cover it. She said to check with them first. Now, getting in touch with insurance is going to be the killer. If they will cover it, I will have my date for surgery set in Mexico with Dr. Quiniones![/quote']

Thx Jenna. My insurance covers it, but I want to be prepared if they deny me.