Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else considering sleeve with BMI ~32

I just joined the site and was hoping to hear from anyone beginning this journey with a BMI ~32. I have been confirmed a candidate for the sleeve by my doctor, but have been talked down to by everyone I have tried to reach out to, with the exception of my family. My sister has the sleeve (since Feb 2012), and it has been life changing. I feel I have seen her go through many things and have an idea what I will be doing (although no two experiences can be the same). Has anyone out there had the same experience with people doubting you?

Personally, if I had started out at a BMI of 32, I would not have done the surgery. It is pretty serious business. You may also have a hard time getting approval from your insurance with that low of a BMI, unless you have some serious co-morbidities. I started out with a BMI of 40, and have severe sleep apnea and high blood pressure. My doctor said I was one of their lightest and healthiest patients.

I had my revision may 6th from band to sleeve and my BMI was around 31. I had diabetes and some other health issues and I just could not lose the weight on my own. I was 206 pounds when I had my sleeve 164 when I had my revision and about 157 11 days post-op. I feel wonderful, and my diabetes and everything else is in remission or gone and I have learned how to be a healthier happier me. Don't listen to others, do what is right for you. Good luck with your decision.

Yes! I have a bmi of 32 or 33 can't remember, but I would have this surgery if I started at this weight.

It is really hard for me to shut out other people's opinions so I know what you are going through. I was not anywhere near in the frame of mind to have surgery when my BMI was 32, but that doesn't mean it's wrong for you. This is such a personal journey and only you can know what is best for you. Good luck with the decision making process!

I think you have to look at your history. Do you feel you're pretty much "doomed" to weigh more? Tried diets? Have a strong genetic tendency toward weight gain? If you're pretty sure that *without* this surgery, you'll one day have a BMI of 40 or more...then why wait? Youll just have more to lose, a potentially harder recovery, and maybe co-morbidities.

I know it's not an easy decision. I'm a bander to sleeve, too. In some ways, deciding to get the band was easier. BMI of 40 and absolutely miserable. I kind of felt like I had no choice. My BMI is 32 or 33 now (got down to 26 BMI) and I KNOW, without something, I'll be back to a 40 BMI. So once I knew the band needed to come out, the decision was pretty much made. Still not easy though...putting myself through a surgery and everything while still feeling mostly normal...kind of hard.

So look at where you think you'll be in 5 yrs. Is it worth confronting your weight now or later?

I have a BMI of 33 and scheduled my surgery for August. I am very excited and nervous at the same time. I have spent my whole life up and down with my weight. Ive tried it ALL. I want to be around for my children and I want to be healthy again!!!

I was sleeved in March My BMI was 31. I had several health issues-blood pressure, cholesterol, bad knees, pre diabetic. Of course my insurance did not pay. But, after 8 years of yo-yo dieting, I chose the sleeve. My weight loss is slower than the higher BMIs. In 2 months-my BMI is 26. I lack 15 pounds to goal. I am off my cholesterol meds, reduced my B/P medications. I feel more in control of my health and exercise does not bother my joints like before. BUT, it is a major surgery and you need to consider all risks. BTW-I am a 61 year old working nurse.

My BMI is wayyy higher, but I wish I had done this 10 years ago when I was lighter. My body is going to be a wreck (most likely - I'm talking a cosmetic wreck with loose skin) when I lose the weight and I'll most likely have to have more painful surgery down the line -- all worth it in the long run -- but I see no reason to wait until you're literally at a breaking point like I was/am until you do something about it.

Many people will say "You're not big enough for that" or something along those lines, but those people don't know what it feels like to be you. Just because your START BMI would be a dream GOAL BMI for someone like me doesn't mean you don't deserve to take back your health, too. We all have a different path to go through with this.

I can say it hurts a little bit to me when I tell people about my surgery and they are all for it! Though no one has dared say this, it sort of feels like people in my life are just glad I'm finally doing something about my obvious significant weight problem. For a lot of us, whether we want to admit it or not, there's a little shame involved with having to go to these measures. It's an emotion that I'm sure will pass the more time goes by/results I see. Honestly, I don't know if I'd be considering this if I was your size, but I don't know that for sure, either. 10 years ago I didn't do surgery because I was healthy - but if I had other health problems related to my weight, I'd totally go for it. There's NO REASON TO SUFFER. I don't know why anyone would think their opinion matters on who "deserves" or "has the right" to have this surgery. It's ELECTIVE for everyone!!

Anyway, we're from two different perspectives here, thought I'd share mine. :) I applaud anyone who is willing to face their fears, who is willing to be proactive and make a change in their life by having this surgery. I wish you the best of luck and hope we all have the opportunities to meet our goals, regardless of where we start!

Thank you everyone for so much insight and support! It really means a lot to me. I have had the typical yo-yo experience with my weight for the past 15 years and do feel that I will be only worse in the future without some help. I also have other factors that make this decision a little easier for me, as well as young children that I want to enjoy playing with. I hope the sleeve will make me a healthier person for the rest of my life.

Thank you everyone! I will keep you posted!

You go for it! I just got sleeved on 5/14 with a BMI barely over 35. It was approved by Fidelis New York with comorbidities. I'm barely 5'1 and I intially weighed in at 188 lbs. A couple of months before that I weighed 172 lbs and 6 months before that 149 lbs after the HCG Diet. It came back! I understand your wanting and needing this surgery. I have spent years losing that same 50-60 lbs only to have it keep coming back. People, even doctors would say "you don't look that heavy". One doctor on a report several years ago wrote, "stocky, but not obese". I was 182 lbs at the time. I have been very athletic, but still couldn't keep it off. You do this for you and your health. That extra weight is detrimental to your health and the quality of your life

I'm having surgery May 24th and my BMI was 35.1. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and pre diabetic. I think this is the best decision of my life!!!

I was sleeved in March My BMI was 31. I had several health issues-blood pressure, cholesterol, bad knees, pre diabetic. Of course my insurance did not pay. But, after 8 years of yo-yo dieting, I chose the sleeve. My weight loss is slower than the higher BMIs. In 2 months-my BMI is 26. I lack 15 pounds to goal. I am off my cholesterol meds, reduced my B/P medications. I feel more in control of my health and exercise does not bother my joints like before. BUT, it is a major surgery and you need to consider all risks. BTW-I am a 61 year old working nurse.

I should add that my weight started coming on when I hit 53 then I started attempting MRC, HCG, Nutri Systems, Jenny Craig, Optifast, and Weight Watchers (several times).Each attempt was soon followed with weight gain. But no more.

I just joined the site and was hoping to hear from anyone beginning this journey with a BMI ~32. I have been confirmed a candidate for the sleeve by my doctor' date=' but have been talked down to by everyone I have tried to reach out to, with the exception of my family. My sister has the sleeve (since Feb 2012), and it has been life changing. I feel I have seen her go through many things and have an idea what I will be doing (although no two experiences can be the same). Has anyone out there had the same experience with people doubting you?[/quote']

I would do it. It may be 32 now but unless you make a change, it could go up. MHO

My bmi has always been about 32...I can't get below 175.. No matter what i do. I have pcos, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, thyroid, and low b Vitamins. I have had the first 5 for over 15 years. ..I am 37. My bmi is now 35 and i am trying to get insurance to pay for the surgery. I want to be around for my kids. I also had a Tummy Tuck. ..everyone said i want big enough but it isn't about appearance for me it's about meeting my grandkids