Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nutritional confusion

So I know that we need 60-70 grams of Protein everyday but can anyone tell me how much calories, fat etc. a day or does it matter or not. I'm just confused. I asked my NUT & she basically said don't worry about it because I'm very diligent about getting my Water & proper protein (never more than about 3oz at a time) everyday. I'm 1 month out so I don't have room or time to get anything other than water & protein in. I tried to tell her that I think that info would help me choose the correct items long term to eat but i was kinda blown off. I'm a hairdresser who travels so I have no free time for much prep. & really no time to be eating all day. So what I need it small items I can eat in a reasonable amount of time that packs a bit of a protein punch. I can find these items but I'm wondering how many calories & fat is too much for something with say 20 grams of protein. Any guidance would be amazing! ;D x

Protein and Vitamins are the contents which make most of the buliding blocks of our body.If you will take anything in extra' date=' it will only harm you.Taking everything in proper proportion is the best for fit and healthy living.[/quote']

Ya that's totally what I'm asking for "proper proportion" :) ?

At one month post op I think focusing on getting you Protein and Water is the most important thing. As you begin to eat more types of food you will begin to naturally eat more fat and thus calories. This is very individual as everyone's body, activity level and nutritional needs are different. My nutritionist wants me at 1000-1200 calories a day mostly from Protein. I do try to include foods with some good Omega 3 fats like eggs and avocado. I've eaten some less than healthy choices too in terms of fat content, like a small amount of pizza (2/3 of one slice) and buffalo wings (3 was the limit). It hasn't effected my weight loss but I don't plan on making a habit of it. You will have to experiment as you go forward and find what works for you with your lifestyle. Quick pics that travel well are Greek yogurt, string cheese, Protein shake, hard boiled egg, small container of humus or Peanut Butter. One fast food option is McDonald's grilled chicken sandwich. You can just eat half of it or remove the bun.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

I was told to keep my calories at 1000 or less and 33 gr of fat a day!!

I would say do not worry about calorie counts at all until it becomes clear you need to increase them when fitness increases.

For now, just focus on getting in the required Protein (80 g or more) and drinking Water (64 oz or more). Add green leafy vegetables if you have room after Protein, but do not struggle with it. If you cannot eat vegetables yet, do not stress. during month 2-5, you should get better at eating steamed vegetables. Take the necessary Vitamins, minerals and supplementation to ensure you are hitting levels that are needed by the body.

I find it best to get protein from foods that take little to no effort to prepare like Protein shakes, 3 oz chicken sausages, 5 oz chicken patties, teriyaki meatballs, etc. you can get a freezer Pak to help keep these foods cold when you are at work as a hai dresser. I bought a lot of these protein options from costco and it really helped me with eating over the first 5 or 6 months. It is also really clean protein.

You do not really need to be concerned about fat counts right now. You will find your calories around 300-600 for first couple months and then 600-900 for next few months as the stomach heals more and you can eat more. You can count carbs if you are known to indulge in foods that have higher carb counts; otherwise, it is not really worth paying attention to it at your current stage. Just stay away from carbs like bread, rice, junk food, etc and all will be fine.

Fill up on protein first and your hunger will stabilize because your insulin levels stabilize. See - that simplifies things. Just focus on lean protein, Water and Vitamins for the first few months.

After month 5 or 6, you can start to get into optimizing the macro nutrient ratios per increased fitness. Your caloric intake will increase to 1200 or More. You will be able to eat more raw vegetables at that time. You will eat to live. Most important is not to get distracted by simple carbs or junk food along the way to healthy weight loss. That is just my opinion and everyone is welcome to express their own opinion.

Yes it helps :) I think my confusion comes because I am & will be relying on 1shake & one Protein Bar a day for around 50 grams of that 80 & there are so many choices. (The reason I will be using those for food is because those are items I can nibble on & hide quickly between/during clients. I can't have containers of chicken & bowls of yogurt sitting on my station while I'm training or taking clients. It's tacky & will undermined my expertise to have food items visible aside from being ILLEGAL! HAHA!! It's strictly against state board regulation to have food in chemical areas.

Thanks for the clarification of state regulations. I learned something (and clearly it makes sense). When you do pick a Protein bar, do try and make sure it is around 180 calories and 3g of sugar or less. Some good example Protein Bars are think thin (smaller version), pure protein, nu go slim bars and the like. Same goes for the Protein Shake, aim for at least 23 G protein per serving and 3 g of sugar or less. Some good examples are Syntrax Nectar or matrix powders, Unjury powders, amplified Wheybolic 60 powder and many others.

LOL you're welcome! ;) I have a need to cap lock the word ILLEGAL to add drama!! Hahaha! :D those are exactly the bars I have so that's awesome!!! You are a gem!! #betterthanmyNUT