Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started the journey last month and when I met my surgeon he said "what are you thinking?" And I said "sleeve." He just nodded. He didn't tell me why that works for me and now after hearing stories I feel like bypass would be better. I have an issue with sweets and I feel that bypass would help me control it. Its almost like I physically need to feel sick if I eat too much sugar for my body to tell me to stop. Yes I know its a mental game as well. But I feel that I should at least go back to the surgeon and see why he thinks the sleeve is right for me or maybe he thinks the bypass is good too.

Bypass has a MUCH higher fail/regain rate and way more complications.

Go Sleeve.

I started the journey last month and when I met my surgeon he said "what are you thinking?" And I said "sleeve." He just nodded. He didn't tell me why that works for me and now after hearing stories I feel like bypass would be better. I have an issue with sweets and I feel that bypass would help me control it. Its almost like I physically need to feel sick if I eat too much sugar for my body to tell me to stop. Yes I know its a mental game as well. But I feel that I should at least go back to the surgeon and see why he thinks the sleeve is right for me or maybe he thinks the bypass is good too.

You should definitely talk to your surgeon about it. There's a tendency among people who have been successful with weight loss surgery to think their way is the only way but the truth is we all have our own struggles and this is a huge decision you should make with your surgeon taking all of YOUR individual habits and problems into consideration. Best of luck!

Honestly I do not want to discourage you either way. But the truth be told there is failure with any weight loss surgery if we do not follow the guidelines. Yes, you will fill physically ill if you eat sweets after the by-pass.

However, I have a co-worker who had the by-pass done. At the 2 year mark she has regained about 50 lbs. And yes she got passed the sick feeling eating the sweets and now eats them.

That being said.... This decision is not a easy one to make. I also recommend you talk with your surgeon about the "why's" of a by-pass. One thing to note.... If I have understood this correctly... A sleeve can be converted to a by-pass. However, once you have done the by-pass there is no changing that. Just food for thought! Best Wishes on your decision!

I don't think you'll get a good answer on this forum because everyone here I believe for the most part will be pro sleeve. In October when I first met with my surgeon I went in wanting the lapband and leaving thinking the sleeve would be better for me.

I think the majority of us have a sweet tooth and lord knows I do but with the sleeve I'm hoping I can fight that battle with time.

Do lots of research and see what is right for you. In my mind there a TON of pros for the sleeve that out way the cons and I'm happy with my choice (hopefully ill feel the same once I'm sleeved in a couple weeks)

I was sleeved March 18th. Last week, I tried eating 3 Jelly Belly jelly Beans (a sample on their factory tour). I had horrible stomach cramping for the next two hours. For me, intense sugar DOES make me physically sick, even with the sleeve. But everyone is different! I know one woman with a bypass that can eat Cookies all day and has never had a problem. I know a man with a sleeve that tried eating a scoop of ice cream and got so sick he thought he was going to die. It just totally depends - no one is sure how they will react to either surgery until they go through it. Do the research, and talk to your surgeon. You can be successful either way if you commit to the lifestyle changes.

I had my initial consults this week - one with the surgeon, and the other with the bariatric internist. I told both of them that I was thinking I wanted the sleeve, but also asked each if there was one they recommended over the other, or if they would recommend RNY for me specifically over the sleeve.

The surgeon told me that the weight loss in the first year is a little higher with RNY, but what they are seeing from the initial long term studies of the sleeve (I think he said at 10 years? The sleeve is newer so there are not as many long term studies) is that it evens out with RNY (ie, is the same). He said he considers them comparable, but that bypass has faster results curing diabetes and some other metabolic issues (that I do not have).

The internist said that "off the record" if she had a weight problem, she would choose the sleeve. But she also said that she would recommend RNY over the sleeve if the patient were diabetic OR had a big sweet tooth.

I am possibly a weird one in that I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. I'm not saying I NEVER eat sweets, but I typically do not crave them or eat them in large quantities. I will get a craving for ice cream every once in awhile. But if I buy it at a grocery store, I end up having a scoop or two, and then the rest of the carton gets cat tongue and dies in the freezer. Nachos or pizza on the other hand.......

Some people feel ill with sweats with the sleeve too. Do not rush talk to your Doctor and be very clear about what you need and want.