Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone planning to have their gallbladder removed when you have your surgery?

I hear *so* many bad stories about people who have gallbladder attacks after the surgery. Is it ever planned ahead of time to take it out while the doc is already in there?

Thank you,

WeeWers

I don't know, but I would like to know.

If mine had not already removed my doc would have removed mine. It def depends on surgeon but I know that it was common practice for my surgeon.

I think that the gallbladder should probably be discussed with one's surgeon before WLS. I actually spoke to my doctor about removal of the GB before I had my VSG and we decided against it. 18 months later, I was back on his table for the removal. And, by the time he took mine out, it was a relief to have the GB gone! I didn't take any of the meds that are supposed to help preserve the GB, mostly because my surgeon doesn't have much confidence that those meds help at all. Based on the pain that disappeared after my GB removal, I think I was having GB problems long before I had my sleeve done. Since I never had stones, though, no one recognized them as GB problems. I rank the GB removal right up there with my sleeve as the best things to ever happen to me. :)

I have never had a problem with my gallbladder but my surgeon suggested I have a gallbladder US tomorrow (5 days before my surgery) to determine if it needs to be removed. I guess it is pretty common to have gallstones after surgery.

I read that sometimes the surgeon just removes the gall bladder, since they are already in there. I want to ask my surgeon, next time I see him. Good question.

Wonder why one would keep it in?

Hi! New to posting, been lurking for a few months...to answer your question, I'm having mine removed. During the abdominal ultrasound they found gall stones. I had NO idea I had them. So since they're already in there, they're going to remove it as a precaution.

I never thought of this being something to consider. I will talk to my surgeon about it. Love this website.

Hi! New to posting' date=' been lurking for a few months...to answer your question, I'm having mine removed. During the abdominal ultrasound they found gall stones. I had NO idea I had them. So since they're already in there, they're going to remove it as a precaution.[/quote']

Same thing here.

Mine is being removed as well. He said that a lot of times people have problems afterwards due to a large weight loss so he would rather remove it now than have to go back in again. Fine with me.

I was planning VSG surgery in June. The past few months I have been having terrible pains and last weekends visit to the ER confirmed I have gallstones and need the gallbladder removed. I called my surgeons office and they said we could do it all at once. I am glad that this happened before because I think I would be reluctant to have another surgery. I am just ready to get the show on the road now!!

I had mine removed when I was sleeved. But mine was already bad, and doctor had no issue taking out during just made surgery little longer.

Yep! And having a hiatal hernia fixed. Fun fun. My galbladdet keps me in pain so I am trilled to have it come out. Plus, since I am self pay, insurance will cover a portion of my costs because of these two things.