Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

don't think I should be able to eat...

Sleeved 3/19/13

I know everyone is different, I reason these boards about people puking almost everyday or how they can't eat this or that. I'm almost 2 months post op and I can eat everything I've attempted...salad, raw veggies like carrots, a whole slice of pizza (not the crust) at a party. I don't have to sip sip sip I can drink like I used to pre surgery.

I have to be completely honest here, I feel like I'm actually on a diet not that I had surgery because I have to control myself not to go for another 1/2 slice of pizza ** btw, I'm not a pizza person but I know I'd be capable of eating more than a slice if I wanted to*** I feel like its diet control not surgery control. I hope I'm explaining myself well. Also, I often feel hungry especially in bed at night. I spoke to my nut last month and she thinks I'm doing well, but I read others on here and I'm like...how come I can eat?

I know some may say..."hey don't complain", but this makes me think as months move on it'll be easier still for me to indulge. I wanted the restriction....I don't think I really have enough.

Also, just so you are aware, I had the lapband for 7 yrs and lost all my weight (gained it back after it slipped and had it removed) so believe me, I know what restriction feels like and how crappy it feels to take "one bite too many" I used to puke a few times a day and to be honest I welcomed it...bulimic??

Please let me know...is anyone else like me or am I screwed?

Thank you for your help!

I'm 20 weeks post op, and I can eat absolutely anything. I've been able to since I tried (probably 8-10 weeks out I started experimenting). I can and have been able to since the beginning been able to drink like pre-surgery. No issues at all. So I'm like you. :) stick to it, I know it's tough.

I felt this way to in the second-third month I kept eating, and was upset at how much I could eat. Its different now for some reason I feel the restriction more so I just stop. I look for the sign like a hiccup and then I know im done

I'm not sure about the band to sleeve revision hopefully one of our band to sleeve people will chime in, but I wanted to say I have never thrown up with the sleeve! I see a lot of people that do but there are a lot of us that don't, I can eat pretty good these days but I'm still losing weight.

I'm not sure about the band to sleeve revision hopefully one of our band to sleeve people will chime in' date=' but I wanted to say I have never thrown up with the sleeve! I see a lot of people that do but there are a lot of us that don't, I can eat pretty good these days but I'm still losing weight.[/quote']

Oh and I can eat a lot of junk (slider) foods without restriction! But when I stick to Protein first? I get and stay full for hours.

I was sleeved 3/4. I definitely feel restriction when I eat Protein like chicken or steak. I can eat a full slice of thin crust pizza. I also have yet to throw up from overeating.

It really is about choices. I wouldn't call it a diet for me; I'm still eating what I want (to an extent) and am trying to make good choices.

To me, denying myself anything is how I got to 368 pounds. It's all in moderation now. Plus, I'm working out semi consistently which I've never done before. I want to healthy. I no longer want my life to be controlled by my weight and size.

Hang in there! If you need motivation, advice, or a shoulder... We are here!!

Sleeved 3/19/13

I know everyone is different' date=' I reason these boards about people puking almost everyday or how they can't eat this or that. I'm almost 2 months post op and I can eat everything I've attempted...salad, raw veggies like carrots, a whole slice of pizza (not the crust) at a party. I don't have to sip sip sip I can drink like I used to pre surgery.

I have to be completely honest here, I feel like I'm actually on a diet not that I had surgery because I have to control myself not to go for another 1/2 slice of pizza ** btw, I'm not a pizza person but I know I'd be capable of eating more than a slice if I wanted to*** I feel like its diet control not surgery control. I hope I'm explaining myself well. Also, I often feel hungry especially in bed at night. I spoke to my nut last month and she thinks I'm doing well, but I read others on here and I'm like...how come I can eat?

I know some may say..."hey don't complain", but this makes me think as months move on it'll be easier still for me to indulge. I wanted the restriction....I don't think I really have enough.

Also, just so you are aware, I had the lapband for 7 yrs and lost all my weight (gained it back after it slipped and had it removed) so believe me, I know what restriction feels like and how crappy it feels to take "one bite too many" I used to puke a few times a day and to be honest I welcomed it...bulimic??

Thank you for your help![/quote']

Did you get sleeved in the same surgery as your band removal?

You should contact your surgeon and let them know what you're experiencing. They may be able to figure out what's going on- sounds very similar to my friend who has gastric bypass, she hasn't lost a pound and is hungry all the time.

The surgeon may have been conservative about your stomach size since band patients tend to have extra scar tissue and swelling.

Long term? I've read about people being resleeved. Not sure how that has panned out and at what point it should be considered.

Contact your surgeon or a new surgeon to figure what is going on.

The same dr that did my band did my sleeve. Very experienced respected surgeon in NYC. I had my band removed and had the sleeve 3 years later. I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him this month if he was "conservative about my stomach size". That'll really upset me cause he never said anything about that.

Honestly this post scares me! Its my fear! I'm 15 days out and can drink just like I did before surgery! Goodness I hope this surgery works for me! I wish it was working better for you too... sorry.

I could have written this. I feel the exact same way. I can eat way more than I thought I'd be able to. I haven't lost any of my appetite, and nothing turns me off as far as food is concerned. I still have to REALLY use self control and discipline to maintain or lose.

Sleeved 3/19/13

I know everyone is different, I reason these boards about people puking almost everyday or how they can't eat this or that. I'm almost 2 months post op and I can eat everything I've attempted...salad, raw veggies like carrots, a whole slice of pizza (not the crust) at a party. I don't have to sip sip sip I can drink like I used to pre surgery.

Thank you for your help!

Remember, just because we can, doesn't mean we should!!! A couple of questions; Do you experience hunger? How much pizza could you eat prior to surgery? I could split a large pizza with my husband. Now, at three years out, I can eat two pieces of a 12" pizza mushroom pizza, MAYBE. I might have to leave the second piece of crust. Make it a habit to under eat your sleeve! If you aren't hungry, it will not be difficult.

Remember, just because we can, doesn't mean we should!!! A couple of questions; Do you experience hunger? How much pizza could you eat prior to surgery? I could split a large pizza with my husband. Now, at three years out, I can eat two pieces of a 12" pizza mushroom pizza, MAYBE. I might have to leave the second piece of crust. Make it a habit to under eat your sleeve! If you aren't hungry, it will not be difficult.

I feel hungry often and it's not head hunger. I'm actually hungry now. Like I said before, I'm really not a pizza person but prior to surgery I would eat 2 slices of plain (cheese) pizza. I always under eat my sleeve because I'm sure I could over eat easily, that's why I feeli like I'm dieting :(

The same dr that did my band did my sleeve. Very experienced respected surgeon in NYC. I had my band removed and had the sleeve 3 years later. I'm going to ask my surgeon when I see him this month if he was "conservative about my stomach size". That'll really upset me cause he never said anything about that.

If you waited 3 years... I doubt he would have a reason to be conservative on your sleeve. By 3 years your stomachs swelling should be down (this typically happens 3 months after your band removal) and scaring should settle. Sometimes the surgeon can't help if you have scar tissue, its more important for them to keep you safe and prevent complications (such as leaks) which MAY require leaving more stomach/scars.

Your best bet is to make an appointment and tell him your symptoms. Ask him if because you were a revision if that changed anything compared to a virgin sleever.

I read a lot about how revision patients don't feel that same restriction after the sleeve.

I am SO glad you posted this thread. I am feeling the same way and I'm not even 10 days postop. I was a lapband to sleeve revision on May 6, 2013. I am 9 days post op and I feel the same way. I've NEVER really felt restriction. I feel like I should have had some difficulty eating or drinking at some point but this has not been a problem for me since the day after my surgery. I could get ice chips down in the hospital without any problem and have yet to really feel like I've been sleeved. I have been losing weight (10lbs. since surgery) but I think its been because I've done my best to follow most of the rules. I've never experienced nausea, vomiting or aversion to food. It's quite the opposite. I'm still hungry and feel like I could eat anything although I haven't done it. I called my MD and told him on Day 3 postop I couldn't feel restriction or fullness and he told me to go ahead and advance to a full liquid diet at that time. I had my one week postop visit with my MD yesterday, I explained to him my frustration and he said that I was most likely truly hungry and I may be needing to get in more nutrition so he advanced me to a soft diet hoping that I would feel full. I started that yesterday. Today, even though I want to eat, I fear stretching my sleeve so I'm stopping myself from eating too much now because I'm afraid I'm eating too much for 9 days postop. For example...I ate 1/2 of a low fat mini baby bell cheese, or 1/2 of a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding or 1/2 of a small bowl of mashed Beans. I've wondered if I'm confused on what "full feels like". I say this because with the band, you absolutely know full is painful, full is umcomfortable or full is vomiting. Also I've wondered if I've already stretched my sleeve because I can drink water/fluids without a problem. Unwittingly, I've caught myself taking bigger drinks than I should have and thought "oh no that ones gonna hurt" and it didn't. I'm confused and so dissapointed. In addition, as I was waiting at the Drs office the girl sitting beside me also had her sleeve on May 6 (she wasnt a lapband revision though) and she had no appetite, did have any desire to eat and sets her alarm on her phone telling her to eat! I admit, I was so jealous. I wanted to lose my desire to eat...ghrelin what? LOL I'm wondering....maybe I'm confused on what full feels like...could someone please describe for me? Is it possible that I having a dysfunctional lapband for 11 years has desensiized me to feeling fullness? Does that make sense or have I completely lost my mind along with my stomach?

I am SO glad you posted this thread. I am feeling the same way and I'm not even 10 days postop. I was a lapband to sleeve revision on May 6, 2013. I am 9 days post op and I feel the same way. I've NEVER really felt restriction. I feel like I should have had some difficulty eating or drinking at some point but this has not been a problem for me since the day after my surgery. I could get ice chips down in the hospital without any problem and have yet to really feel like I've been sleeved. I have been losing weight (10lbs. since surgery) but I think its been because I've done my best to follow most of the rules. I've never experienced nausea, vomiting or aversion to food. It's quite the opposite. I'm still hungry and feel like I could eat anything although I haven't done it. I called my MD and told him on Day 3 postop I couldn't feel restriction or fullness and he told me to go ahead and advance to a full liquid diet at that time. I had my one week postop visit with my MD yesterday, I explained to him my frustration and he said that I was most likely truly hungry and I may be needing to get in more nutrition so he advanced me to a soft diet hoping that I would feel full. I started that yesterday. Today, even though I want to eat, I fear stretching my sleeve so I'm stopping myself from eating too much now because I'm afraid I'm eating too much for 9 days postop. For example...I ate 1/2 of a low fat mini baby bell cheese, or 1/2 of a sugar free chocolate pudding or 1/2 of a small bowl of mashed Beans. I've wondered if I'm confused on what "full feels like". I say this because with the band, you absolutely know full is painful, full is umcomfortable or full is vomiting. Also I've wondered if I've already stretched my sleeve because I can drink water/fluids without a problem. Unwittingly, I've caught myself taking bigger drinks than I should have and thought "oh no that ones gonna hurt" and it didn't. I'm confused and so dissapointed. In addition, as I

was waiting at the Drs office the girl sitting beside me also had her sleeve on May 6 (she wasnt a lapband revision though) and she had no appetite, did have any desire to eat and sets her alarm on her phone telling her to eat! I admit, I was so jealous. I wanted to lose my desire to eat...ghrelin what? LOL I'm wondering....maybe I'm confused on what full feels like...could someone please describe for me? Is it possible that I having a dysfunctional lapband for 11 years has desensiized me to feeling fullness? Does that make sense or have I completely lost my mind along with my stomach?

You're not alone. With the band you definitely knew...uh ohhhh, this is gonna be a bad one! I'm losing here but like I said, I'm dieting. I ate small boneless skinless chicken breast last night and I made myself stop (didn't eat my roast potatoes or string beans) because I didn't want to overdo it. I felt like I ate enough at the time but 1 1/2 hrs later, I felt hunger again smh.