Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were/are any of you OBSESSED preop?

I'm not sure if this is a personality flaw or what, but I am absolutely obsessed with all things gastric sleeve. Do any of you feel this way?? How long have you guys been researching into this procedure? I feel like I've done a good job of not buying too much stuff yet (a suggestion I got from you lovely people) but I think, read, and probably talk about it too much- my poor poor husband. Haha.

I was obsessed. Pretty much from July last year til I got sleeved last week, it's all I could think about. It helps to be prepared!

Not so much. I was considering a band and made an appointment with a surgeon. She told me about the sleeve and by the end of the appointment I was pretty keen. I went home, talked with my husband, did some research and spoke to friends in the medical profession. The next day I emailed the surgeon to say I would go ahead. She came back and let me know that she had a gap three weeks later and if I got to the NUT and got on the pre OP diet that space could be mine. So I grabbed it with both hands.

That first appointment was 7 May 2012, I started pre OP on 11 May 2012 and had my surgery at the end of May. I didn't have time to obsess!

I did obsess after though, I have read all I can get my hands on since the surgery and continue to follow current research into the effects of ghrelin reduction. I am almost a year out and I still weigh myself every day and record every bite I eat and every exercise I undertake into my fitness pal. I can talk about the surgery and my journey with anyone who cares to listen :-)

I was obsessed. Pretty much from July last year til I got sleeved last week, it's all I could think about. It helps to be prepared!

That's how I feel: obsession= preparation. Haha

Surgery last week??? How are you feeling??

So understand. I have been reading, watching videos, mentally preparing, thinking about what is to come, etc.... Surgery date is fast approaching. Starting pre-op diet soon. Woohoo!!!!

Not so much. I was considering a band and made an appointment with a surgeon. She told me about the sleeve and by the end of the appointment I was pretty keen. I went home, talked with my husband, did some research and spoke to friends in the medical profession. The next day I emailed the surgeon to say I would go ahead. She came back and let me know that she had a gap three weeks later and if I got to the NUT and got on the pre OP diet that space could be mine. So I grabbed it with both hands.

That first appointment was 7 May 2012, I started pre OP on 11 May 2012 and had my surgery at the end of May. I didn't have time to obsess!

I did obsess after though, I have read all I can get my hands on since the surgery and continue to follow current research into the effects of ghrelin reduction. I am almost a year out and I still weigh myself every day and record every bite I eat and every exercise I undertake into my fitness pal. I can talk about the surgery and my journey with anyone who cares to listen :-)

I have a friend who had weight loss sx a few months ago. When I asked how long she thought about the surgery before having it, she answered, "14 days." !!!! - that would send me into a panic. LOL.

I have a lot of resect for you- to make a commitment and jump in like that. Brave! Love it.

i feel so obsessed! my surgery is May 22 and i feel like I can't quit thinking about it! it has taken a long time to get here and i am so excited and nervous at the same time.

That's how I feel: obsession= preparation. Haha

Surgery last week??? How are you feeling??

I'm feeling really, really good. I've been able to move around pretty comfortably for several days - I've tackled cleaning the house, I went shopping yesterday, today I spent the day cooking... It's been a really smooth road for me. I'm on soft foods and everything is going down well. I get a little gassy with my Protein shakes, but everything else has been great. No nausea, no vomiting, no bad reactions to anything I've tried. People on this forum say your taste changes, but I find that everything tastes as it did before.

Slight snag this evening. My incisions are all glued instead of stitched. Once of the glue chunks came off and the incision is open underneath. I called the doc and he got back to me 5 minutes later (at 945 on a Saturday night) and said to cover it with clean gauze and it will close up on its own. Scary, but was good to know he is reliable to got back to me asap! :)

At first yes, but now 5 months into the pre op process it has slowed down a bit. I still am focused on it, it hasn't gone away by any means it just isn't as obsessive.

I am obsessed too!! IV been researching for about a year and a half and IV been in the process of getting surgery since August. I'm now on my preop diet and I have surgery may 20th. I'm only a week away and all I can think or dream about it surgery!

I have a friend who had weight loss sx a few months ago. When I asked how long she thought about the surgery before having it, she answered, "14 days." !!!! - that would send me into a panic. LOL.

I have a lot of resect for you- to make a commitment and jump in like that. Brave! Love it.

I'm totally with you. I would freak the hell out if I only had 14 days to prepare!! Even though I know full well that things may be way more different post-op than I am anticipating, and much of my preparation may be for naught, it still makes me feel better and more mentally ready. I was submitted for approval last week, but I am planning for June 19th, since that's the best day for my school schedule. I started in November with research and had 1st surgeon appt at the end of January. Good luck to all of the ever-so-slightly-OCD planners out there!

I'm right there with you all too! My poor neglected family! :o

Super obsessed... Half way through the processes. I get submitted to insurance on Monday... OCD going slightly wild.

I think its normal to be a little obsessive about a life altering event. I had been thinking about the lap band on and off for some years but since I wasn't morbidly obese I knew my insurance wouldn't cover the cost. By the end of 2012 I had developed several aliments that required constant doctor visit, testing and xray. Some of the medication I was taking caused me to gain weight, which affected me mentally. I start talking to my PCP about my weight and she mentioned that the requirements had changed for insurance to pay for weight loss surgery.

She referred me to Dr. Salamah and he thought I would be a good candidate for surgery because of other preexisting conditions. I saw him on April 1, 2013. His office has lots of experience with my insurance company so they gave me the run down on everything that I would need to get their approval.

The biggest roadblock for me was the 3mo nutritional visit. This sent me in a tailspin. There is no way I could wait until July for the surgery. My obsession was taking a toll on me and I begin to have problems sleeping. My PCP prescribed me some ambien to help me sleep.

Since I didn't meet the general insurance requirement of morbidly obese. I had to complete a 3 month supervised weight loss program and have a bmi of atleast 35 with a comorbidies. As I continued doing my researched I remember the local weight loss clinics that I had to help me lose weight. I spent at least a $1,000 buck over a six month period buying B12 injections HGC, and Phentrimine. I contacted the bariatric nurse and asked if the records from the weight loss center would be acceptable. She indicated it might be acceptable if they documented my weight, provided nutrition counseling, recorded by blood pressure among other things.

Next step was contacting the weight loss clinic and of course they were not happy with me requesting my medication records. They wouldn't accept the request over the phone or by fax. I had to come into the office and complete their form. To top it off I was told that it would take 30 days to receive the copies, which I would have to pay for out of pocket. Although this was a set back I continued on with the other requirement. Like the Psych evaluation and the 1st visit with the nutritionist. I got a call from the Wieght loss clinic about a week later on Friday at about 5:00pm while I was driving home. They informed me that they found my records and it would cost approx. $35 for the copies. I said fine when could I pick them up? I was there before they closed to pick up the records, which had all the information, needed.

First thing Monday morning I faxed them to the bariatric nurse. She call me back a few hours later to tell me that she had everything and she was going to submit to the insurance company and tentatively schedule my surgery for May 8. I was in shock I hadn’t even told my family what I was considering. For the first time in my life my semi- obsessive behavior paid off for me. I was officially sleeved on May 8, 2013. If I had to wait until July I’m sure I would have drove my doctor, his staff my family and friends crazy. My heart goes out everyone going through waiting phase right now. Once it’s done you will have no regrets