Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfilled & Can't Keep Anything Down

OK, for the past three years, my Band has pretty much been unfilled due to pregnancies. I had a small fill in March... but it bothered me, so had it removed. Everything did look fine under fluoroscopy, though :) So... fast forward to today. I'm pregnant... and for those of you who have never been preggers and Banded (unfilled or filled)... it's kind of like having your period in that your hormone fluctuations can cause your Band to become tight. Anyways... today, for a snack, I had 1/2 of a beef hotdog. Didn't chew well enough (not something I've had to deal with in a long time, so out of habit)... and things got stuck. No biggie... went to the bathroom... and PBed. Then went again. And again. I think the hotdog was all gone by then, but I still had to stop my car on the way home to vomit some stomach snot and saliva. Being stupid, I did not stick to liquids for dinner... and had a few bites when I started vomiting again. I've been PBing all night now... can't keep even Water down. I just had some real true vomiting about 10 minutes ago... y'know... gut renching type... so I'm hoping that's the end. But I'm worried. I'm assuming if I can't keep liquids down tomorrow, I'll have to go get things checked out as dehydration and pregnancy don't mix. Thing is... I'm preggers... so... x-rays/fluoroscopy is out (only 10 weeks)... not sure if they could diagnose slippage with ultrasound... and being pregnant, what if I need Band removal??

Just freaking a bit... so send some good wishes my way.

How scary! My DH and I are discussing the possibility of a round 2.

You will definitely be in my thoughts. Please keep us informed, alright?

Hi fabfatgirl...that must have been awful for you...Gosh! my thoughts are with you. Hopefully you'll feel better tomorro. keep us posted.

:) becky

Hi,

Could you try hot tea and put it on a teaspoon every 15 or 20 minutes??? If you can't keep liquids down, you will need to go to see your doc immediately. Give it a few hours though and see if you can get down really tiny amounts of something warm like tea.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

I am NOT pregnant!! but unable to keep even my own saliva down!! Had a fill 4 weeks ago--got it out 11 days later--waited a week and got refilled but less--lasted a week and couldn't swallow--out again the day before thanksgiving--waited 2 weeks filled again to level of first fill--that was last Friday--today is wednesday and I am throwing up every thing I drink--solids are out of the question!! help help help I don't know what to do!! want to get this under control--going to Fla for the winter and don't want any problems!! any suggestions?? am currently VERY thirsty!!!! thanks for any advise--have a call into the doc and an appt tomorrow...scared! banded june 13 06...down 56lbs

Is a liquid diet needed after an unfill as well? I just found out I am pregnant and I am still filled and loosing weight weekly. I need to get the fill removed ASAP. I am leaving on a cruise on Saturday and really don't want to be on a liquid diet for 4 days of it.

Thank you for any help.

Jenn

6/23/06

start 262

current 208

Really late update... but it resolved in about 24 hours. I basically sipped Propel for about 24 hours... and then went liquid/mushies once I could get Water down. Scared the bejeebies out of me, as I've never had that happen before with my Band... especially the "real" vomiting.

As for diet after an unfill, I was told I could eat whatever I wanted. It is totally freaky... you go in eating Bandster-like, and two-seconds later, it's like you've never been Banded. Good and Bad. Although, I do remember a two week honeymoon (maybe divorce)-like celebration when I was eating all of the foods that gave my Band trouble. Then things normalized. :P

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches