Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When can you drink again?

I'm a sociial drinker...

I'm a sociial drinker...

My doctor says 1 year after surgery. I'd recommend you ask your doctor.

I'm a "social eater" trying to complete my crossover addiction process to being a social drinker. :huh: Just kidding, well only kidding on the drinking part.

You gotta watch out diving into the drinking thing after surgery, it can flat out knock you down quickly. I never really drank more than probably once a month before surgery (and about the same now), so I didn't have much tolerance. When I had my first drink (probably two months after surgery).....wow.....it really hit me hard and fast!! Before I finished one glass of wine I could hardly stand without swaying back and forth. So be careful with that stuff and maybe not drink as soon after surgery as I did.

I'm a "social eater" trying to complete my crossover addiction process to being a social drinker. :huh: Just kidding, well only kidding on the drinking part.

I was a VERY social eater. I had a lot of enjoyment in going out. Now my enjoyment is savoring every tiny bite :)

As for the drinking, you may want to avoid carbonated beverages (beer, gin & tonics, etc..) as they could give you some very nasty gas and make you bloated. Once bloated you could rupture a suture line in your stomach if it is still healing. If it has already healed, you risk the possibility of stretching out your sleeved stomach. Although it may never get back to its original size, stretching it sort of defeats the purpose of getting the vertical sleeve.

I had my first drink at about 7wks out, no issues. It was a Margarita. I took a few sips & it tasted so sugary & syrupy (if that's a word, lol). Then I recently had a big glass of Mascato & it was very enjoyable!! No issues at all. That was one of the questions I asked my surgeon. He said after the initial phase, go for it! I was like :D

That is good information to know mysleevemylife. How many glasses did you have per hour and when did you know it was time to stop for the day/night?

Just remember, whatever you drink needs to count towards your daily calorie intake. I, myself, would rather get my food by chewing instead of drinking and that is what my dr. Advised.

I was advised to wait one year but I knew that wasn't likely. I had a glass of wine, which I couldn't finish, at about one month post-op. now if we go out I usually enjoy a glass of wine but that's all. You do get drunk faster so be very careful. I haven't tried anything bubbly or any hard liqueur. I didn't drink much before surgery anyway. The issue is that many people develop transfer addictions.

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4

6 weeks

I second what Sarah said. I drank at 6 weeks.

Just watch how much you drink, calorie wise, it's not good to drink often

Thamks everyone?

My all clear was 30 days, but recommended I avoid it.

I bought a bottle of wine the night before last. I'm 8 weeks postop.

I enjoyed it. No discomfort. I don't think it will be something I do often, tho. Drinking isn't high on my list of priorities, ya know?

Best drinking advice we can give you is follow your medical professional's advice and make good choices.