Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study and cpap machine

Hey all - I have cpap machine that is gathering dust from my surgery last year on 7/2/2012. I did not use it after surgery nor did i do a follow up on a dianosed severe apnea issue as a pre op. my sleep is pretty good now, especially after adding daily fitness (have been maintaining for a few months).

A couple questions:

1. Do you think my sleep would be awesome with the cpap machine?

2. Do you think I should go through another sleep study with the referral from my pulmonary doctor?

Thanks for your response. Either way, I have a lightly used (2 months) cpap machine available if any pre op wants to purchase it.

"sleeve" study...ha! Freudian slip ;)

What would it hurt to sleep with it on a few nights and see how you sleep? I know a couple perfectly healthy folks who still use a cpap to sleep because sleep apnea doesn't effect just the obese. I know it's not the sexiest thing to wear to bed, but if you have trouble sleeping, or would sleep better with one on, why not give it a shot ;)

And if the sleep study wouldn't cost you much, I would probably do a follow up... but it's your decision

Hey all - I have a sleeve study that is gathering dust from my surgery last year on 7/2/2012. I did not use it after surgery nor did i do a follow up on a dianosed severe apnea issue as a pre op. my sleep is pretty good now, especially after adding daily fitness (have been maintaining for a few months).

A couple questions:

2. Do you think I should go through another sleep study with the referral from my pulmonary doctor?

Thanks for your response. Either way, I have a lightly used (2 months) cpap machine available if any pre op wants to purchase it.

It sounds like you're not needing it but only a sleep study will tell you for sure. I'm happy for you and can't wait to not need my own machine anymore!

@rebecca- how in the world did I type that? Lol. sleep at the wheel again (BA da bump) :)

Hey all - I have cpap machine that is gathering dust from my surgery last year on 7/2/2012. I did not use it after surgery nor did i do a follow up on a dianosed severe apnea issue as a pre op. my sleep is pretty good now, especially after adding daily fitness (have been maintaining for a few months).

A couple questions:

I'd definitely get a repeat sleep study. Yes, most likely you've resolved the apnea with weight loss and exercise, but there's really only one way to know for sure! Sleep apnea can cause a lot of health issues if left untreated. If you used it now, with the setting you had when you were having severe apnea, it probably wouldn't work as well anyway. So I definitely suggest doing another sleep study to confirm if you still have it and to adjust your setting if you still do need the CPAP. :)

Hey all - I have cpap machine that is gathering dust from my surgery last year on 7/2/2012. I did not use it after surgery nor did i do a follow up on a dianosed severe apnea issue as a pre op. my sleep is pretty good now' date=' especially after adding daily fitness (have been maintaining for a few months).

A couple questions:

Thanks for your response. Either way, I have a lightly used (2 months) cpap machine available if any pre op wants to purchase it.[/quote']

I would get the sleep study for peace of mind. Even though I have lost a significant amount of weight ( nothing like you did though), I still have apnea. I can't wait to kick my machine to the curb!

I'm sure the setting on your machine would not be appropriate or even safe for you to use at this point though

Thanks for the responses! I am going to set up an appointment to start the process.

Ever since surgery (4/1/13) I haven't need my machine. I fall alseep and don't move till the next morning, no more waking up (to urinate) or snoring (confirmed by wife). I plan on seeing the doctor in a couple of months just ensure I don't need it. But gosh it feel great to sleep again! Great and timely question!

I would be cautious. Before my sleeve I used a cpap at 9 and lost 30#s. had to have my pressure lowered BECAUSE IT WAS PUMPING AIR INTO MY BELLY! It was lowered to a 7. I've lost an additional 15 ( so far ), and I anticipate soon ill need another adjustment.

Newer machines have a sensor that will monitor your apnea events. But your med supply respiratory therapist needs to do after an order for your Md.

Deciding on discharging your cpap on your own is not a great idea. Call your Md.

Ever since surgery (4/1/13) I haven't need my machine. I fall alseep and don't move till the next morning, no more waking up (to urinate) or snoring (confirmed by wife). I plan on seeing the doctor in a couple of months just ensure I don't need it. But gosh it feel great to sleep again! Great and timely question!

I wake up many times per night to urinate. Are you saying that could go away if I no longer need the CPAP machine?

I wake up many times per night to urinate. Are you saying that could go away if I no longer need the CPAP machine?

sleep apnea is only one reason why people have to get up several times nightly to go to the bathroom. For men, the prostate could also be the culprit. Might be a good idea to have a conversation with your doctor about it.

sleep apnea is only one reason why people have to get up several times nightly to go to the bathroom. For men, the prostate could also be the culprit. Might be a good idea to have a conversation with your doctor about it.

Oh we've had MANY conversations about it. The last thing she gave me for it was Finasteride - among it's many possible effects (like practically everything else today), it says it could take a year for it to work. :rolleyes:

sweetbrown.jpg

I am up like 3-4 x every night to urinate, but I attribute that to just drinking a lot of Water during the day versus a prostate issue being 37. I did talk to the doc about potential prostate issue about 1-2 months ago, but he said not likely prostate for a guy my age. We did the rectal prostate exam (fun....NOT!! ). Did not find anything on the exam.

So to clarify since my journey began I have lost from 320 to 240 lbs. At the 320 range I had several health issues one of which was sleep apena. I lost like 30 pound and did another sleep test and had my machine adjusted. (still woke at night to urinate, but much better with CPAP.) Since all the fun with presurgery and post surgery I have drop another 40 lbs. And since coming home from the hospital would fall alseep upon hitting the pillow (basically feel alseep before I could put the mask on). However I sleep deeply not waking up or stirring. In the morning, yhep the urge to urinate was there. So at this point until I reschedule for another sleep study I am not using the machine and am not have any of the sleep apena symptoms. I am contact with my doctor who agrees and is waiting to see me get the test. lossing weight and excercise is suppose to best cure for sleep apena, or atleast in my case.