Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Hi Denise:

I had a question for you regarding your fills...I've read a few books but many more posts re. lap band surgery and I can't remember if it was a poster of a doctor who said that while someone is getting a fill they are asked to drink Water, then the doctor observes how the patient handles the water going down. Supposedly as soon as the patient drinks the water slower or can't drink it fast they stop. Sounds like it's hit or miss now as I'm writing it but ....is this how they do your fills? thanks ....(I'm prebanded and losing my mind with this decision...one day 100% sure next day ...no way) :phanvan

I am not sure why your doctor is saying such things. How many bands has he done???

Dr. Kuri, the doctor that trained Dr. Ortiz which is one of the reasons I took it to heart so much. I've been debating between Rumbaut, Ortiz, Aceves and Kuri for a while. At this point I'm not a canidate for Kuri, and I've heard some things coming from recent patients of Dr. Ortiz that do not make me feel comfortable going to him at this point (we no longer provide aftercare, for example).

My BMI was 35 when I started and it took me almost a 9 months to get to goal, I was extremely physical and took away most carbs outta my eating except things that were gluten free or made with rice (like rice crakcers) no bread , Pasta or rice as the dr told me and with the exercising it worked pretty quick , congrats to you all

I'm in! I was banded 8 days ago, at 5'5" and 228lb. (234 the day I started the pre-op diet) Today I was 215. I had to self pay of course, due to the "low BMI" denial, but it's done now and I'm on my way to a truely low BMI!

That's exactly how he does my fills. We can have the floroscope if we want, but it's way more expensive because it has to be done at the hospital and not in his office. Once when I told him I wanted an aggressive fill, he gave me the cup of Water and it wouldn't go down. He knew exactly how much to take out.

Get the band! You'll love it. I struggled for so long to take some weight off, and all I did was gain more. I haven't been down this low since my kids were born and they are now 23 and 26 years old.

Dr. Kuri, the doctor that trained Dr. Ortiz which is one of the reasons I took it to heart so much. I've been debating between Rumbaut, Ortiz, Aceves and Kuri for a while. At this point I'm not a canidate for Kuri, and I've heard some things coming from recent patients of Dr. Ortiz that do not make me feel comfortable going to him at this point (we no longer provide aftercare, for example).

What did they say about dr. Ortiz? That doesn't sound right.

I can get an answer straingt from their patiend coordiator if you like. I have his email and he always answers.

My BMI was 35 when I started and it took me almost a 9 months to get to goal, I was extremely physical and took away most carbs outta my eating except things that were gluten free or made with rice (like rice crakcers) no bread , Pasta or rice as the dr told me and with the exercising it worked pretty quick , congrats to you all

You are awesome!!!! I am going on 9 months and have lost 25 pounds. I still have 20 to lose. I also have not started really exercising yet. Can you give us some ideas of your typical day? I have been doing South beach diet for most of the time.

That's exactly how he does my fills. We can have the floroscope if we want, but it's way more expensive because it has to be done at the hospital and not in his office. Once when I told him I wanted an aggressive fill, he gave me the cup of Water and it wouldn't go down. He knew exactly how much to take out.

Get the band! You'll love it. I struggled for so long to take some weight off, and all I did was gain more. I haven't been down this low since my kids were born and they are now 23 and 26 years old.

It sometimes takes 2 weeks to kick in. It has been like that for me.

What did they say about Dr. Ortiz? That doesn't sound right.

I can get an answer straingt from their patiend coordiator if you like. I have his email and he always answers.

In particular, a patient called him with a problem/question and he said that they are no longer doing/providing aftercare, because it's not cost efficiant. That combined with a lot of other rumblings I've heard about him being difficult to get ahold of. not returning calls, generally being very cold/uncaring. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've heard things like this, but it really startled me.

In particular, a patient called him with a problem/question and he said that they are no longer doing/providing aftercare, because it's not cost efficiant. That combined with a lot of other rumblings I've heard about him being difficult to get ahold of. not returning calls, generally being very cold/uncaring. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've heard things like this, but it really startled me.

I am going to have to look into this!!! So, does that mean that no fills after getting banded? I have NEVER had problems getting my calls answered immediately. I am going to contact them. I will let you know what they say.

I'm in! I was banded 8 days ago, at 5'5" and 228lb. (234 the day I started the pre-op diet) Today I was 215. I had to self pay of course, due to the "low BMI" denial, but it's done now and I'm on my way to a truely low BMI!

Congrats and welcome!!!

Wow, you are doing great!!!

Audree

Hello fellow Lower Bmi'ers!!!!

How are you all doing???

I had a bad PB on Saturday. I had a little ground meat about 10am and I not only PB'd but vomitted 3 times. I was at my pastors and didn't want to be vomitting there, so I left and had to open my door to throw up on the street!!!! It was sooooo sick!!!

I am finally going to put my QuickSlim30 to the 2nd test.

I had so much success the first few months of my surgury. I lost the bulk of my weight in the beginning and have had a plateau ever since. My band prevented me from gaining it all back!!!!! So, good combo!

I have been at a standstill for so long, so I am going to put it to the 2nd test and see if the scale will start to move again. I sure hope it does. I don't really want to get a second fill since I have been pbing and hate it. But this weight needs to start to come off!!!

If the QuickSlim30 doesn't work, I will consider another small fill.

Let's do a roll call. I have so many buddies out there I never hear from here. It makes me feel lonly here!!! BOOOOHOOOOO

So, check in and let me know you are there!!!!

Audree

Hey there - lurker here B).

I've been watching this thread for awhile since I fit the category and wonder so many things - you all have been a great source of info and hope.

I have my orientation meeting tonight (Sept 11 - not crazy about the date, but pushing forward anyway) - I've been waiting for an orientation since June/July, so I've had plenty of time to research and build up my anticipation. My DH is going with me (a BIG step for me - all my food issues are very private for me, but I figured that's probably been part of my problem all along - time to reach out for support!).

I hope you all are doing well - I'm thrilled to be on this journey with you!!!! :whoo:

~kat

Hi Audree:

You don't know me and I'm not even banded yet and I'm just here driving people crazy asking too many questions but I am a "lower" BMI (36).. and I thought I'd put my few cents in so you don't feel loney I was obessesing there for a while over getting the band...but no worries, I think I'm going to take it slower now.

I couldn't help but feel like I should congratulation you firstly on your weight loss but most importantly and most difficult for us non banded keeping it off!. Is this your first PB and had you recently had a fill? I was thinking that could it be that because of your lower BMI you weren't a gigantic eater to being with so the reduction in calories you are comsuming now are lower but not drastic. Also heard that platues are very normal and only temporary. You're doing great..ride out the platue...are you exercising? I know I can't drop a lb unless I go to the gym at least 4 x a week. take good care!

Mj

in

NY