Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Well, I certainly did.

I joined a sparkpeople group to run a 5K on April 1st. Now, mind you, I have been swimming every morning for 4 months and doing yoga and of course walking. Well, in order to do the 5 K or 3.1 miles, I need to jog or run more, so today I began training for it.

I just KNEW I should run on the track at the gym, because it has the shock system, but I wanted to go earlier and they didn't open til 10 today, plus I wanted to take my dog cause I thought it would be fun.:think

Well, I did okay on the first half of the trip, walking about 4 minutes, jogging 1 minute. I was on my 5 rep on the way back, and sure enough, felt "something" in my knee give. Now, I have have had problems with this knee in the past. Especially when I was at my heaviest and was walking around Las Vegas a couple of years ago, it would really hurt.:rolleyes

But, I thought most of my pain was due to being so fat. And, maybe some of it was. However, it really hurt. Last summer, when I went on hikes with my hiking club, it would sometimes hurt on the way down the hill, and a couple of times after skiing (downhill) it has felt stiff.

Anyway, I went to the doctor cause I'm sick of feeling like an old lady who can't do anything. (I was actually pointing out the my DH all the people jogging on the bike paths who did NOT appear to be suffering knee pain for their efforts). :phanvan

Long story a little bit shorter, I think the 5 K is out. I have to do physical therapy to stregthen my knee. I told the doctor that I have lost 40 lbs and I don't want to have to stop being physically active at this point. He wasn't going to refer my for PT, but I told him that I want to be able to go on hikes this summer without pain, so he did.:)

I can still swim in the AM, at least I hope so, I'll find out on Tuesday. But currently, I am on meds for the pain ( probably stuff I shouldn't be taking but I did talk them into NOT giving me the Mortin @ 800 mg) I am VERY leary of letting my HMO know I have the band. But, I have to heal my knee too. so, I'm making sure I eat RIGHT after I take the meds. :nervous

I'll call PT on Tuesday. I really want to be able to go on some good hikes this summer with our club. I think that is more important than the 5K; although, perhaps I could just plan on walking it?:cry

I have also be researching the Portland Marathon, hoping that I could do 26.2 miles next October. It is also a qualifier for the Boston Marathon, but :speechles I don't know, maybe it is just a pipe dream. What was I thinking? I am not in that great of shape yet. :D

Well, I guess we will see what happens. :faint:

Boo, hoo

Glad to see this thread come up. It's a little hard to relate to some of the higher BMI, beginners..pre-op diets etc. My BMI was 33.3 to begin, weighed 188.5 and I'm 5'3" tall. After filling out forms etc. I was pretty much told that BCBS would not approve me for surgery even though I've got three leaky valves, 2 heart murmors, HBP & H Chol. Most due to Phen Phen use for 30 months way back when.

Things move very fast with self pay, that's for sure. Had my surgery on the 12th. One week ago tomorrow, and I've lost 11.5 lbs. I just chocked it up to all liquids. I'm sticking mostly to Soups (straining first)..some re-fried Beans w/cheese. I have no idea if this was to be expected, but I'm prepared for a slow-down until I can have my first fill. Anyone know what I might expect during the next few weeks?

I haven't started exercising yet, but I was told I could expect to loose up to 25% more if I do. Still experiencing some weird feelings under my rib cage, feels like something's catching. Still swollen in there? Still another week till my follow up visit. Love to hear from anyone since I'm pretty new at this. Thanks all! Love hearing what you're having to eat.

Lessofme,

Sounds to me like you are pretty typical. I had a lot of pressure in my chest at the beginning.

I had to self-pay as well, as my insurance was only interested in bypass and then only if you had a BMI over 50 and tried their 6 month diet plan.

Welcome to the low BMI bandsters. We talk a lot. I have lost 40 lbs in 8 months, for which I am very proud. But, I did no REAL exercise for the first 3 months after surgery.

Welcome again.

Hey Deckedout,

Sorry to hear about your knee... you can definitely walk the 5k. I wouldn't even worry about Boston (the people I know run a marathon in like 3.5 hours or something to qualify. Uhhh no).

I made a goal to do some kind of event every month in 2007 and so far I have done it (haha that's only 2 events so far, LOL). That way the events keep coming and I keep training (except last week I was a big slacker).

If you like to swim, have you thought about joining a Master's swim club? Those people really swim a lot and are in great shape... it ain't your grandma's swim club. I am actually a little intimidated to join one here but keep saying I am going to.

I say do what you love! I think the PT will help a lot if you have muscular imbalance in your leg causing the knee pain.

Hi everyone! Glad you are doing well! I love reading about your activities...I can't wait till I am that active. I really enjoy hiking swimming etc. I just bought a universal gym, so now I have that, a treadmill and a recumbant bike. I live in an apartment, so it is quite packed! My son came to visit the other day and when he came in, he asked how much a membership is! It was very funny.

Keep it up everyone, you are doing (and looking) awesome!

lol tell him he can work out at your house if he cleans it first bandiva. The cleaning can be his warm up!

I have a quick question. I was banded on the 9th. I have very little incision pain, but my port is uncomfortable, not painful, just annoying. It almost feels like it sits against my ribs when I am sitting down.:) I don't really know how to explain it, it is such an odd sensation. Will it go away or will I get used to it?

Ideas????

My port was kinda funky for a while... I was banded Jan 5th and it is still a little sore to touch.

I say give it a while... but then I don't know how uncomfortable you are. I am a big baby myself.

Hi,

Well....actually I have 11 days to be exact that I have to be on liquids. I can't believe I've only lost 5 lbs! I know it's only been a little over a week since my surgery, but jeeeeeeeez......it really seems like by now of having only liquids and gettin in my 30 grams of Protein per day I should have at least lost 10 lbs by now! I've been reading these boards for a while, and realize that this is the healing period, etc. and I shouldn't be so worried about the weight loss at this point, but it is sooooo hard getting through these days of not eating real food!

Audree, I plan on starting the South Beach on Day 22! :) That is so great that you've lost over 20 lbs. already! I hope I can do the same. I've been walking a mile a day since the Monday I got home from surgery, and I really hope this helps kick start my body to loose weight. My problem right now is really gettin the calories in. I'm soooo burned out on the Soups, and Protein shakes......but as they say, no pain, no gain.....or should I say loss!

:( Mindy

Does everyone know which band they have? I have the VG 10cc. I think it makes a difference as far as how many fills you need etc.

Hi Everyone!

I would love to join the low BMI group! My BMI was 36. I am 5'9" and weighed 246 starting out. I did a week of the South Beach diet as my pre op diet and lost 14lbs! YEAH!!! I couldn't believe I lost that much in a week...I know a lot is Water, but still!! I had my surgery on February 14th and I weighed today and I weigh 227!:clap2: I am thrilled to death! I am doing everything by the book and I am starting to get sick of broth, Protein Shakes and Soups already. I keep looking forward to getting to add new foods to my menu!

I am looking forward to chatting with you other low BMI bandsters!

Oh, by the way, I am a self-pay too...it is sooooo worth it!

Melissa

Welcome to all the new folks!!!

Decked Out: Sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it gets better.

Supergenius: HOw have you been doing? I have not been on as much lately and need to catch up with everyone.

Bandiva: Hey girl! I go for my fill on Wednesday and I am a little nervous. I am hoping for some good restriction.

Less of me: Congrats on the weight loss!!!

NurseCeo: It gets better. It may be due to the cutting and moving the muscle around, stiching into the muscle. It does get better over time.

Mindy: How are you doing on your liquids? Glad to have a SB partner

!

toqu: I have the one that takes 4cc's.

Mommyofthreebs: Welcome!!! South Beach definitely rocks!!! Congrats on your weight loss! Sticking to the rules will definitely get you better and faster results!!

Audree

I was messing up for a few days, the days I was not checking in...

Today I have had tuna, almond, 1 string cheese.< /p>

32 ounces of crystal light

1 tbsp. liquid Vitamin, 1 Biotin, 1 QuickSlim30

No exercise today.

I need to be accountable for the exercise thing. Please help me guys.

When i check in I keep on track, so I can't get to busy that I don't at least check in once a day.

Did you guys miss me??

Missed you a lot Audree. Thought maybe you'd fallin' off the earth!

Went to yoga, but couldn't do a lot of the moves cause of my stupid knee. I'm icing it right now. Went and got my brace. Hubby wants me to go for a walk later. Don't know if I'll be able to go very far, but I'll probably go. wish me luck swimming tomorrow. I might end up spending a lot of time in the spa.