Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

I dont have any loose skin, I had a BMI of 35 when I started this. I've lost about 75lb (roughly converted from metric).

Now dont get me wrong, I have flab, cellulite and a podgy tummy, but I'm 40 and have had 3 big babies. I dont have a stomach that I can flash around in a bikini but its perfectly flat, just a little loose the way post pregnancy tummies are.

I didnt have any stretchmarks whatsoever so I think I'm just lucky that I've got good skin.

Lower BMI bandsters:

No activity today - we need to have a check in day - Maybe Sunday - Take a little time and do a least 1 post and let everyone know quickly how you are doing. I'm use to getting on here and reading post but none since yesterday - hope all is well. Happy Friday!!! Have a Great weekend -

Hey Guys!!

I haven't been able to post in a couple of days!

Been very quite in here!

I am doing well, lost no weight today,so weight has stayed the same for 2 weeks. But I feel thinner.

I go for my fill on Wednesdy.

How are you all doing???

I guess I fall into the low BMI club. I have to say that I feel people don't get us or why we got the band but I am glad I did. I am 5 feet tall and weighed 204 when I was banded two years ago this month. Honestly, I was the healthiest fat person my doctor had seen in a while. I had no comorbids but my dad has diabetes, hi blood pressure and heart issues. So, I was at risk but in a different way. What helped me was the fact that I was so depressed after my 3rd kid that I couldn't lose and keep weight off, that I had started seeing a therapist a couple of years before I got banded. Long story short, my insurance company approved it and here I am. 2 years later and 70 lbs gone, I now have pouch dilation. See my post under complications that I just posted. It is hard to stay on and get back on track once you are 1/2 the size you were 2 years ago. You couldn't tell now that I ever had a weight problem. This is the time when it gets harder and harder to stay on track. Regarding what you can do or eat to help you lose faster? THe answer, in my opinion, is as simple as this: you have to burn off more calories than you take in. You take in 1000 calories of healthy fruites, veggies and Protein, and you walk 20-30 minutes a day, there you go. 2-3 lbs a week easially. I did that for almost a year and a half, then I got lazy. I began to eat a little more and a little more until I started having reflux.....and here I am today hoping I don't lose my band. I know that it is a tool to help lose weight, not the answer to every overweight person around. You have to work at it and it will come. I will, from now on, be on my best band behavior. That is if I dont lose it.

Qwinner,

wow thanks for your post. That is a very good reminder to be good and stay good.

I know that I am still struggling with my bad food habits. So far the very first one I have overcome (for the most part) is giant bites. I still eat too fast but I am doing better. I also still eat too much.

But it is really nice to see your success and I am really sorry about your struggles now. Now that I have the band I know I am going to have to be one of the people that really needs to be careful. I seem to want to push the envelope with it, even only 6 weeks out. :)

The beginning was hard for me too. I made up my own rules for eating. I measured my food, put it on a small plate and put the rest away from me. Cut everything up as small as possible before you start eating and talking cause that is when we forget to chew and eat slowly. If you go to a restaurant, share a dinner or order and appetizer, put what you can eat on your plate and ask for a togo container right away and pack it up. I did that for the first year and it was great. When you start losing, you will be excited and you will change your bad habits slowly but surely. The band is a tool, I repeat, a tool and it can be tricked. Weightloss surgery only works if you play by the rules. It is suck a struggle but I believe we can be stronger than the evil forces that push us to eat that icecream sunday or that 3rd plate of chinese food. No amount of restriction is going to make you lose 20 lbs a month either. We have to change our eating habits and stop focusing on food or the lack of it in our lives and find other things to occupy that space in our minds. I haven't found the answers yet but I now know that the band won't work if we don't work at it. Keep trying what you are doing. You can do it. Thanks for replying to my post.

Qwinner,

That is a GREAT idea about cutting up your food before you start eating it! I will be starting that tomorrow.

I continue to struggle with eating too fast/too big of bites. I have not PBd in a couple of weeks but I LOVE that idea.

THANKS

Hi,

Just wanted to thank all of you that replied to my post regarding being hungry during the liquid phase and drinking too much.

Now that I'm able to drink Protein Shakes, and creamy Soups, my hunger situation is much better. I'd say the hard thing at this point is actually getting enough calories in. I think I've only been having around 600 or so...but I'm trying to get in more.

I can't wait until Day 22 when I can start eating again! I have to admit I've been a little bad. I have to cook dinner for my two boys every nigyht, and I ended up chewing up some of the food I was making and then spitting it out in the sink (...I know, Yucky! ). At least I didn't swallow it. I won't do that again....it just tempted me more and made it worse!

I'm going to do the South Beach diet also, and I've definately gathered alot of tips through this board!

Well, thanks again everyone for your posts on here :)

Mindy

Mindysa:

There was a girl at my job that use to do that. We couldn't figure out why she would buy food, chew it up and then spit it out. Another co-worker finally got up the courage to ask her. And she told her that she had the lapband and she couldn't eat the food she wanted so she would do that and it satisfied her. I don't plan on doing it. But I think it is very honest of you to share. I'm sure you are not the only one!!!

IS think she might want to get the flavor and by spitting the food out, she did just that... I think she had good control.. May not be my idea of what to do, but Hey what eve works

Diane

Went to Dr. Ortiz, loved everything about his office and his staff. I had the tests and the surgery all in one day because we were making a vacation out of the first part of the trip and meeting up with my in-laws. Dr's office called and moved my date up one day. I was picked up at 7:30 a.m. in San Diego and taken to TJ, I would say it was about 10:00am and I was being taken into surgery.

My stomach has been growling non-stop for a couple days, I get to add Protein tomorrow, so I am crossing my fingers that it will help.

I have lost 5 lbs already, so that is what makes it worth it.

I still have quite a bit of discomfort when it feels like I need to burp, any idea on when that ends? The gas pain in my shoulder is finally gone, so that is a huge relief, but every time I drink anything I get the burpy feeling again.

I guess I fall into the low BMI club. I have to say that I feel people don't get us or why we got the band but I am glad I did. I am 5 feet tall and weighed 204 when I was banded two years ago this month. Honestly, I was the healthiest fat person my doctor had seen in a while. I had no comorbids but my dad has diabetes, hi blood pressure and heart issues. So, I was at risk but in a different way. What helped me was the fact that I was so depressed after my 3rd kid that I couldn't lose and keep weight off, that I had started seeing a therapist a couple of years before I got banded. Long story short, my insurance company approved it and here I am. 2 years later and 70 lbs gone, I now have pouch dilation. See my post under complications that I just posted. It is hard to stay on and get back on track once you are 1/2 the size you were 2 years ago. You couldn't tell now that I ever had a weight problem. This is the time when it gets harder and harder to stay on track. Regarding what you can do or eat to help you lose faster? THe answer, in my opinion, is as simple as this: you have to burn off more calories than you take in. You take in 1000 calories of healthy fruites, veggies and Protein, and you walk 20-30 minutes a day, there you go. 2-3 lbs a week easially. I did that for almost a year and a half, then I got lazy. I began to eat a little more and a little more until I started having reflux.....and here I am today hoping I don't lose my band. I know that it is a tool to help lose weight, not the answer to every overweight person around. You have to work at it and it will come. I will, from now on, be on my best band behavior. That is if I dont lose it.

Congrats on your weight loss!!!

You are absolutely right on what it takes to lose the weight. We all get off track, but the we need to renew our commitment to our band and do the things we did in the beginning, get a new goal and be accountable to someone.

How did your pouch dialate and what were the symptoms?

Hi,

Just wanted to thank all of you that replied to my post regarding being hungry during the liquid phase and drinking too much.

Now that I'm able to drink Protein Shakes, and creamy Soups, my hunger situation is much better. I'd say the hard thing at this point is actually getting enough calories in. I think I've only been having around 600 or so...but I'm trying to get in more.

I can't wait until Day 22 when I can start eating again! I have to admit I've been a little bad. I have to cook dinner for my two boys every nigyht, and I ended up chewing up some of the food I was making and then spitting it out in the sink (...I know, Yucky! ). At least I didn't swallow it. I won't do that again....it just tempted me more and made it worse!

I'm going to do the South Beach diet also, and I've definately gathered alot of tips through this board!

Well, thanks again everyone for your posts on here :)

Mindy

Let's do the South Beach together!

I have been off the beach for a few days, but only for one meal a day, just due to the fact that I get my fill on Wednesday and have no restriction now.

I am looking to begin 100% Wednesday. I have not lost or gained in 2 weeks and I am happy to be maintaining. I feel smaller though.

When can you start the Beach?

Went to Dr. Ortiz, loved everything about his office and his staff. I had the tests and the surgery all in one day because we were making a vacation out of the first part of the trip and meeting up with my in-laws. Dr's office called and moved my date up one day. I was picked up at 7:30 a.m. in San Diego and taken to TJ, I would say it was about 10:00am and I was being taken into surgery.

My stomach has been growling non-stop for a couple days, I get to add Protein tomorrow, so I am crossing my fingers that it will help.

I have lost 5 lbs already, so that is what makes it worth it.

I still have quite a bit of discomfort when it feels like I need to burp, any idea on when that ends? The gas pain in my shoulder is finally gone, so that is a huge relief, but every time I drink anything I get the burpy feeling again.

I was also banded by Dr. Ortiz and had a great experience.

I go for my first fill on Wednesday. Some things I added were V8, drinkable yogurt, creamy split pea Soup, tortilla soup ( bought a bad at the market and added Water, purreed), and purreed chili with a can of V8.

The 3 weeks go by fast!