Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Audree, Dr. Ortiz's place sounds wonderful! I came home in less than 4 hours, so I didn't get all that luxury treatment. :phanvan

It's funny how being on liquids doesn't really bother me anymore. I had to go to a funeral today and afterwards they had a huge buffet and I was watching everyone stuff their faces while I had a glass of Water. I was so annoyed to be on liquids at first. Now, I just don't feel like eating and I am so happy:p

I am really afraid to go to the mushy stage because I am afraid I will quit losing. I am perfectly happy most of the time drinking chocolate Protein Drinks. I love chocolate anything.There really isn't anything mushy I like anyway. I hate cottage cheese.< /p>

What in the heck is Skinny Cow cheese anyway? Is it like string cheese?

Audree, you are an inspiration to all of us! I almost completely quit posting on Dec. bandsters because I love reading your posts. Do you work? Seems like getting through the first few weeks of being banded is a full time job. I have been really happy that it snowed here for the 4th time in 30 years on the Oregon coast. (100 mi past the Calif. border) I got 2 days off of work because they closed the schools. Tomorrow is a holiday so I had 5 days off in a row.

I have hardly told anyone about the banding. My daughter had RNY, so she knows, but I haven't told my dad, or hardly any of my friends. I know my daughter really hated it at first when every person she saw said "so how much weight have you lost now" I didn't want to go through that.

I wasn't able to stay off the scale all weekend. I gained a lb yesterday but I think it's because the egg flower Soup is pretty salty. So I am at 12 lbs lost in 2 weeks and 2 days.

Hey I have a friend who got banded by your doc and she said she can't even get water down. I don't have any trouble getting my 64 oz of water in every day. I am going to call her tonight and find out if it's just because she hates water or if she got too tight after her first fill. She got banded about a month before us.

Thanks so much for posting all about the South Beach Diet. I grew up using Atkins off and on and have always been curious about SB. I am like you though. I can't hardly lose if I make carbs a regular thing.

Good Luck to everyone tomorrow with happy eating/drinking!!:biggrin1::):hippie::dance:

Hey guys, you all had a busy day today!! Lots of posts to catch up on!

I feel like I am so far behind.... whew.

Madden,

I am going to be thinking about you a lot during the next few days. Sending you good vibes from Virginia Beach!

Okay guys, I need some help. I had a really tough weekend. I was out socializing with my family and friends who don't know about my procedure.

Most of my friends and family social culture revolves to some degree around food. My sister feeds me to show me love, as she is a most excellent cook. I have friends who are also excellent cooks, and also often feeding the pathetic microwaving single girl.

What are some excuses I can give about food for now?

For my friends, I am going to say that I am watching my money and I want to eat at home instead of eating out. I have also made a big stink about starting a new diet, but that won't really be until I actually start eating food.

What do I tell people who want to cook for me? I am a person who NEVER turns down food from people who cook for me. I also always am very appreciative of it and make a big deal when they do cook.

Both Saturday and Sunday I was with people who had prepared food specifically for me, before I got there, because they knew I was coming over.

It was actually very stressful for me. I am not ready to tell anyone new that I have had the surgery at this time.

Any thoughts?

Audree, Dr. Ortiz's place sounds wonderful! I came home in less than 4 hours, so I didn't get all that luxury treatment. :phanvan

It's funny how being on liquids doesn't really bother me anymore. I had to go to a funeral today and afterwards they had a huge buffet and I was watching everyone stuff their faces while I had a glass of Water. I was so annoyed to be on liquids at first. Now, I just don't feel like eating and I am so happy:p

I am really afraid to go to the mushy stage because I am afraid I will quit losing. I am perfectly happy most of the time drinking chocolate Protein drinks. I love chocolate anything.There really isn't anything mushy I like anyway. I hate cottage cheese.< /p>

What in the heck is Skinny Cow cheese anyway? Is it like string cheese?

Audree, you are an inspiration to all of us! I almost completely quit posting on Dec. bandsters because I love reading your posts. Do you work? Seems like getting through the first few weeks of being banded is a full time job. I have been really happy that it snowed here for the 4th time in 30 years on the Oregon coast. (100 mi past the Calif. border) I got 2 days off of work because they closed the schools. Tomorrow is a holiday so I had 5 days off in a row.

I have hardly told anyone about the banding. My daughter had RNY, so she knows, but I haven't told my dad, or hardly any of my friends. I know my daughter really hated it at first when every person she saw said "so how much weight have you lost now" I didn't want to go through that.

I wasn't able to stay off the scale all weekend. I gained a lb yesterday but I think it's because the egg flower Soup is pretty salty. So I am at 12 lbs lost in 2 weeks and 2 days.

Hey I have a friend who got banded by your doc and she said she can't even get water down. I don't have any trouble getting my 64 oz of water in every day. I am going to call her tonight and find out if it's just because she hates water or if she got too tight after her first fill. She got banded about a month before us.

Thanks so much for posting all about the South Beach Diet. I grew up using Atkins off and on and have always been curious about SB. I am like you though. I can't hardly lose if I make carbs a regular thing.

Good Luck to everyone tomorrow with happy eating/drinking!!:biggrin1::confused::hippie::dance:

Dr. Ortiz told me if that ever happened to call him on his personal cell, which all of his patients get in their little white folder. Tell her to call him.

Did she just get a fill? She may need an unfill. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Skinny Cow is a cream cheese type cheese, only low cal and delicious.

I am a stay at home mom right now, but will be starting back to college online in a few weeks!!!

Audree

Okay guys, I need some help. I had a really tough weekend. I was out socializing with my family and friends who don't know about my procedure.

Most of my friends and family social culture revolves to some degree around food. My sister feeds me to show me love, as she is a most excellent cook. I have friends who are also excellent cooks, and also often feeding the pathetic microwaving single girl.

What are some excuses I can give about food for now?

For my friends, I am going to say that I am watching my money and I want to eat at home instead of eating out. I have also made a big stink about starting a new diet, but that won't really be until I actually start eating food.

What do I tell people who want to cook for me? I am a person who NEVER turns down food from people who cook for me. I also always am very appreciative of it and make a big deal when they do cook.

Both Saturday and Sunday I was with people who had prepared food specifically for me, before I got there, because they knew I was coming over.

It was actually very stressful for me. I am not ready to tell anyone new that I have had the surgery at this time.

Any thoughts?

I have just been saying I have a touch of the stomach flu or don't feel well!

Denise882,

I for some reason am all of a sudden really dreading when people start really noticing that I am losing weight.

I have a friend who had RNY and when we used to go to dinner after the surgery I was truly in shock at how little she ate. It was not just "diet portions." I think WLS portions are just so much smaller that they invite attention. If I hadn't known I feel certain I would have commented on it because it was such a small amount that she ate. I may have commented on it even knowing.

For some reason this whole idea of people watching what I am eating or commenting about what I am eating is stressful to me tonight. There must be some psychological nerve that is hitting me that I haven't figured out yet.

Audree,

Did you find a Protein Shake that you liked? I used a Myoplex because I have about 1000 of them. I used a Myoplex Light chocolate cream, added soy milk and a Tblspoon of Peanut Butter. I can tell you I have never added Peanut butter to a shake before because of calories. I did this time because I figured it was going to take me 4 hours to drink it and that it would last me half the day.

The shake with vanilla soy milk and peanut butter was absolutely great. I loved it. And I have gotten to a point where I have drank so many Protein Shakes with Water only to minimize the calories that sometimes the thought of a Protein shake can make me YAK.

Audree,

Did you find a Protein Shake that you liked? I used a Myoplex because I have about 1000 of them. I used a Myoplex Light chocolate cream, added soy milk and a Tblspoon of Peanut Butter. I can tell you I have never added Peanut butter to a shake before because of calories. I did this time because I figured it was going to take me 4 hours to drink it and that it would last me half the day.

The shake with vanilla soy milk and peanut butter was absolutely great. I loved it. And I have gotten to a point where I have drank so many Protein Shakes with Water only to minimize the calories that sometimes the thought of a Protein shake can make me YAK.

Where do you buy Myoplex? I bought one at Target, but it is not as good as the one I had. I have not had any protien shakes except for the Nectars. Today i had the strawberry Kiwi with soy milk and it was good.

I have two weeks to go and need ideas!!!

Thanks,Audree

Audree, if I think I will be having surgery in about 2-3 months what do you suggest I do and should I be buying up a certain kind of nonparishable food, like chicken noodle soup....? That way Ill have alot for my new journey. Any suggestions?

Audree, if I think I will be having surgery in about 2-3 months what do you suggest I do and should I be buying up a certain kind of nonparishable food, like chicken noodle soup....? That way Ill have alot for my new journey. Any suggestions?

Well, what I did was get as educated as I could, was on these boards a lot asking questions. I bought Protein Water, nectar protein drinks, Better Than Boullion, Wolfgang puck gourmet chicken broth, crystal light in different flavors, drinkable yogurt, Jello cups, creamy Soups as in split pea, chicken mushroom.

I bought Dr. ORtiz's book Lap Band For LIfe and read it three times, I stocked up on convenience food for my family.

I know a freind who is getting gastric bypass and she had to take classes for six months before her surgery. This group was that for me. These people have helped me to know what I was going to deal with mentally and psychologically. If I had not been prepared, I would be freaking out. Sometimes I see posts here, people newly banded, panicking and saying they want to get the band taken out. It makes me wonder how much they were prepared in advance mentally.

My surgery was actually supposed to be earlier and had to be postponed, but I think it turned out better that way so I could learn the things I needed to learn first and know what to expect.

I feel like I was very prepared for what I did and that is why I have been so at peace and happy!!!

I hope that helps!!

Audree

guess what, I went to my moms today and I opened my big mouth to someone at church and I told them that I was gonna get the gastric bypass done,cause I had gained so much weight, well I said I didnt want my mom knowing cause she would get mad. well they ran straight to the pastor wife then to the phone to my mom, my own kin then mom said I found out why your going to San Diago she told me who told. First of all it is lapband im doing lol and I didnt tell nobody Mom said you are gonna take all the money spend it on your body and still not be happy. I know if Im losing weight Ill be happy. I worry everyday about how I look, then I go to the closet andcant wear nothing then get down and just wanna forgetit but I cant, I am obsessed with my weight. I dont even wanna tell mom forsure now if I go,I will just tell her to pray for me this week. Im sure we got alot of prayer warriors on here to. well I had to talk yo someone. If you have any suggestings for me let em fly

thanks audree, How long did it take once you started wanting the surgery, to have it was it a long wait or less than six months? I dont know how long for me it will be but as soon as i get the money in hand I will be setting the appointment up.It seems long when everyone already has theirs and your waiting, but I know alotta people on here are waiting.

Miniperarl:

DH and I went to Dr. Ortiz and it was 2 weeks for us, from the time we made the appointment unti surgery day. We wanted a Monday but that was full, so we went for Tuesday. It was great. Ive never had such a great experience with a doctor before.

Dr. Ortiz told me if that ever happened to call him on his personal cell, which all of his patients get in their little white folder. Tell her to call him.

Did she just get a fill? She may need an unfill. Thanks for the encouraging words!

Skinny Cow is a cream cheese type cheese, only low cal and delicious.

I am a stay at home mom right now, but will be starting back to college online in a few weeks!!!

Audree

I've had the unfortunate experience of needing to call the doctor after my surgery -- and I also was an Ortiz patient. Actually, Dr. Martinez, in his office, answers most of those calls. You get his cell phone number after surgery as well. He is fantastic and it is amazing how caring he is and the follow up he does. The first time I called I wondered about my port incision. He answered my questions and I felt better. The second time......after the week 4 chicken incident. He actually asked me to call him the next day on his cell phone as well and let me know how I was doing after taking his advice to stop all food/drink for the rest of the day and start liquids the next day......and for the next week. I did follow up with him and actually got the impression that he was waiting for my phone call.

The day I had surgery there was another woman there that had some complications (not Dr. Ortiz related.....her own personal health issues). She actually was hospitalized back in her home state and Dr. Martinez joined the doctors in her home state by video conference as they looked at her band. So, in addition to being available, they also clearly must have the technology to see their far away patients when needed. So, people should feel they can call -- even if they are too far away to be seen. At least these doctors know when they can wait it out or if they need to be seen at some ER immediately.

Tell your friend to take advantage of the fact that these doctors make themselves available to us. To me, it is part of the cost of the surgery. They would not give out their cell phone numbers if they did not get expect to get the occasional call. That sounds crazy in the USA since most of my doctors would never be available to me after hours........but it is not the same for the staff with Dr. Ortiz.

Kathy