Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI Bandsters!

Audree, I went to your myspace page and asked to be added.

It said you are in your 50's did I read that right? You can't be 50 years old. I must have read that wrong.

It's funny how when I first started liquids I was so miserable and now I have to remind myself to eat or drink to get my Protein in. It's 6:30 and all I have had all day is one can of Protein Drink and 1 quart of Water. I need to figure out something for dinner. Luckily, my doctor sold me hot chocolate that's 20 grams I think. I usually have that in the evenings if I havn't had enough Proteins in.

Dr. said I could have egg flower Soup so I guess I will go and eat the rest of it that I bought yesterday. :):):girl_hug::):girl_hug::):):)!

Audree, I went to your myspace page and asked to be added.

It said you are in your 50's did I read that right? You can't be 50 years old. I must have read that wrong.

It's funny how when I first started liquids I was so miserable and now I have to remind myself to eat or drink to get my Protein in. It's 6:30 and all I have had all day is one can of protein drink and 1 quart of Water. I need to figure out something for dinner. Luckily, my doctor sold me hot chocolate that's 20 grams I think. I usually have that in the evenings if I havn't had enough Proteins in.

Dr. said I could have egg flower Soup so I guess I will go and eat the rest of it that I bought yesterday. :):):girl_hug::):girl_hug::):):)!

OOOPPPSS!!!!!I put the wrong age! I am 33. I will add you! I feel like I have eaten all day and have only gotten in around 550 calories. I have a headache and am going to have some soup. What kind of hot chocolate is it? I am having some really good cream Soups. I also bought nectar Protein drink, it is fruity. Fuzzy navel tastes like Tang. I bought Stawberry Kiwi and a sample pack.

Egg flower soup is good. Where did you buy it? I wonder if there are any good recipes for it out there???

Audree

chocolate Ricotta

Two 1/4-cup servings

This high-calcium "pudding" has the benefits of cocoa and cinnamon - and the flavor of Mexico. Experiment with different brands of ricotta - they have different textures and flavors. Prep

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=310 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup lowfat ricotta cheese

2 tbsp mild honey

2 tbsp cocoa powder

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions:

1. Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.

2. Scoop into small dessert dishes and serve.

Nutritional Information: Per serving:

145 calories

3 g total fat (2 g sat)

11 mg cholesterol

24 g carbohydrate

10 g Protein

2 g Fiber

100 mg sodium

Italian Bean and Sardine salad

1 serving

Beans, fish, red pepper and greens - all nutritional powerhouses. Use small white beans cooked at home without salt. If you use canned, rinse the beans to remove most of the salt.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cannellini beans

1/2 cup roasted red pepper, cut in 1/2" pieces

1 cup romaine leaves, chopped in 1" pieces

1/2 can sardines

1/4 tsp dried oregano

2 tbsp Tomato Red Pepper Salad Dressing (recipe follows)

Instructions:

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=310 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>toss to combine. Chill until served.

Tomato Red Pepper Salad Dressing

Ingredients:

1 small (6 ounce) can of tomato paste

1 whole roasted red pepper or pimento from a jar

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons Water

1 clove garlic, chopped

1 teaspoon dried basil

390 calories

12 g total fat (0 g sat)

32 mg cholesterol

45 g carbohydrate

30 g protein

11 g fiber

167 mg sodium

Stuffed Mushroom Caps with Couscous

6 servings

Couscous is a mildly nutty-tasting grain that comes from North Africa. It makes a great stuffing, especially for a small cavity like a mushroom, because it's so moist. When the stuffed mushrooms are baked, the full flavor of the couscous and the mushrooms really come through. These will go fast!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 shallots, chopped

1-1/2 tablespoons natural soy sauce (such as tamari)

1 cup white wine

12 medium small-capped mushrooms, washed and stems removed

1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock or purified water

1/4 cup couscous

Salt

Freshly ground pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped

1/4 cup freshly grated <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=310 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Parmesan cheese

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes, just until they turn slightly more brown. Pour them into a small bowl.

Set a large sauce pan with the olive oil over low heat for less than 1 minute. Drop in the garlic and the shallots. Add the soy sauce, wine, and mushrooms and simmer covered until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to shake the mushrooms so that the cooking liquid falls back into the pan, then transfer the drained mushrooms to a baking dish, arranging them hollow side up. Reserve the liquid in the pan.

Cook the couscous by bringing the vegetable stock or water to a boil in a separate pot. Pour in the couscous, lower the heat, and simmer covered for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. All the liquid should be absorbed. Now, dump the couscous into the sauce pan with the reserved liquid, cover, and cook over low heat until all the liquid is absorbed.

Lightly salt and pepper the mushroom caps. Finish the stuffing by mixing the nuts, herbs, Parmesan cheese into the cooked couscous. Using a tablespoon, pile a small mound of filling inside the cap of each mushroom. Bake for 10 minutes or until the stuffing is lightly browned on top.

107 calories

6 g total fat (1 g sat)

1 mg cholesterol

10 g carbohydrate

3 g protein

1 g fiber

350 mg sodium

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Hi ladies........I updated my ticker this morning!! My plateau ended and the scale is moving. Actually, it is moving faster than I expected -- which is a nice surprise :) I think it is the combination of the fill and also the exercise that I've been doing for the past few weeks. When i updated my ticker I also added my *real* starting weight, which was about 5 pounds heavier than when I started to consider the lapband. It all was work......and I want to remember where I really came from when I get to the other end of that ticker. I realized that I have already lost 1/3 of what I want to lose......when I look at it from that perspective I realize that I can do this. Also - the daily changes in my body are the reward along the way. I know that I have days where my body shape changes even though it doesn't get reflected in the scale. The biggest benefit of this weight loss thus far is my energy levels and my ability to keep up with my toddler son.

I did eat some ice cream with my family today -- not a great choice. However, I also ran 3 miles tonight to burn off all those calories. Oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up for a treat once and a while. It was good and it satisfied me as I deal with PMS.

All in all, the fill is working pretty well. I still have some tough moments where I wonder if something is going to get stuck or not. Every new food is an adventure! I will never, never, never eat a hard boiled egg ever again with this band. I ate slow, it was chewed in tiny pieces, I started my meal with some sips of hot tea to "open up" the band......and that darn thing still came up. The salad and veggies in the salad were fine.......it was just that egg that did not agree with my band.

Sounds like you ladies are doing good. I really like this thread Audree......thanks for starting it. I read this every night even if I don't have anything to add.

It is freezing here in California (literally, freezing........cannot imagine what the temps are elsewhere in the country).....so I'm headed to bed, under the covers, early tonight. Have a good evening everyone!

Kathy

kathyinca,

That is so awesome that you are kickstarted! I saw all the freezing in California... and was shocked. I am sure you are too, LOL. I am like you, I read this thread every day.

Audree,

As usual, you have a lot of good useful info. Especially explaining how they do the stitches over the lapband.

What I didn't like was the fact that you weren't thrilled with the nutritionist and the psychologist missed a scheduled appt. WTF? Not sure if what I would think about only 60 procedures. I would say go with your gut instinct on that one.

I think we are all neurotic to some degree. I told myself that I could get up and walk out right up until the time they put me under. I was saying that to myself as they rolled me into the OR. Someone else on here said, you know if it doesn't work, I have tried everything else. It is something to try.

I guess that made me realize that on this site, we all REALLY care about our own health. We may not be the perfect specimens, but we never quit trying. We are all a bunch of fighters here. You can't just quit and give up, right? This is another opportunity, another chance, to try to change things in your life.

That's how I look at it anyway.

Tough day for me today. Started out GREAT because I could finally eat something other than clear broth. I had a Protein shake and I never had one that tasted so good, LOL. I also went on a 9 mile bike ride, just tooling around. I am still trying to really take it easy with the working out.

Then I had to go to my sister's, the one who doesn't know I was banded. I did her and her husband a favor and she made a steak dinner for me. I was like, OH HELL, how am I going to get out of this? I pretended to get sick and it was pretty lame acting I have to say. I am sure I will tell her at some point but I am not ready to right now.

By the way, the Protein Shake filled me up the majority of the day. Amazing.

Susan,

Sorry that you needed to act. It is better than giving in and eating the steak though. You'd be sorry about that, for sure. I hate lying, but I did not tell people about my band and I would not hesitate to pretend I was sick instead of eating something at a time where it was dangerous to me or my band.

Great news that you still feel full. I love that about my band. I also found that at the stage you are in that I started not thinking about food morning, noon, and night. That is still the case now and the biggest change for me mentally since banding.

Kathy

My consult with the surgeon went well. He thought I would be a "good candidate." He mentioned that he's done only 60 lap-bands, but over 800 laproscopic bypass surgeries. Should I be concerned with his experience? He also mentioned that he will stitch a portion of the stomach over the band, which I didn't realize they did, and wonder how that will affect my stomach. Did everyone else have this done?

I wasn't very impressed with the dietician, and the psychologist didn't show, so I didn't even get to see him. That bothered me a bit. I have a tentative surgery date of March 5. They are working on getting insurance approval, and may bump my date up if there's a cancelation.

I'm going through some strange things right now in my mind. I'm concerned it won't work, affraid of loosing too much weight or not any weight, affraid of drawing attention to myself with the weight loss, affraid of the complications, wondering if I will fail at making the needed changes, wondering if I can truly take care of myself and my band with my extremely hectic schedule, questioning why, why, why haven't I just been able to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the past 17 yrs that I've been yo-yoing, why has it come to this, will my blood pressure actually go down, and will this surgery truly be the answer to my tendancies to diet and then binge/sabatoge and gain it all back. My best friend called me neurotic yesterday!! I don't know if that's the case, but I do tend to overthink things. One and 1/2 months is going to be way to long to put myself through this mental anguish.

The day after my consult I had the opportunity to be out people watching. I would observe the women of all ages who were of "normal" size - they seemed happy and confident. I want to be that, but seem to think that deep down I don't deserve that....think I need some therapy!!??

Sophie 248, You absolutely, positively deserve to be happy! And, oh sister, do I know the feeling you have described. Emotional ups and downs are part of the process and we are all here for you! And remind your bf that birds of a feather etc etc. :) The shrink that I met with for my consult was pretty good and I have continued to meet with her (am post-op 3 days) to help with emotional roller coaster and behavior mods etc. (I figure it can't hurt) Your doctor or RN should be able to suggest a few different therapists as back-ups in case the person that was a no-show turns out to be a dud. A book that i found which really helped is called Taming of the Chew - it is a quick read and offers alot of insight into the questions that you wrote above.

I have never heard of them switching over the stomach to anything!!! The band is supposed to be a Bracelet type thing. No cutting or re-routing. My doctor has done over 4000 and he mentioned nothing like that. That sounds like something else combined with a lapband.

Don't worry all of us are "neurotic" :girl_hug: at one time or another with our yo yo banding. I was obsessed with it, it was all I'd think about day and night. i am post op 8 days and feell so FREE. I have never ever felt like this. I feel like I was a slave and now I am free!!!

I am worried about you and if the doctor you are seeing is mixing lapband with DS which I have not heard of anyone doing. Please ask him more specifically what his procedure is and let us know!!

Thanks and welcome!!!! Audree:welcome:

Hello!

I had my seminar yesterday and they also said that a small portion of your stomach is around the band with stitches to prevent slippage. Nothing is re-routed, cut or stapled like other surgeries. I have also read this on various lap band websites. I get my psych eval, nutritionalist visit, etc.. next week and could be banded by the end of the month! I have lost my weight in the past also and pulled out photos today from 5 or 6 years ago and I can't wait to look and feel healthy again. I have clothes with price tags in the closet just waiting for me to be that magical size once again. I too am nervous and wonder what if I don't lose weight or regret it. I wonder if I have no will power because I know I did it before but I feel the band will help me to eat less and I too have eaten healthy but too much. Sometimes I think I have a bottomless stomach! I have been reading posts for approx. a month now and I am grateful that I have found this forum. It is normal for the stitching around the band and it is not a mixture of 2 surgery types. I hope to hear from all of you after my banding because I know I will need the support when I experience the "head hunger"!

Christine :)

hi! i'm not sure if i'm a low bmi... probably not... 210lbs 5'1 bmi 39.7.

i was wondering if anyone else had similar stats that have already been banded. i am SO curious as to what to expect weightloss wise. i mean, i realize everyone is different, but i keep reading about people who are 300+lbs... i don't think that really applies to me. also, the people with my weight always seem to be 5'5 and taller.

i'm SO excited and anxious! i don't have a day set... hubby is trying to get a home equity line of credit, but i may just apply for credit on my own. i made my decision and i don't want to wait! my sister-in-law is getting married in june and this will be the first time that i have gone home with hubby and will meet all his friends and family. i want to make a good impression and not be ashamed at how heavy i am.

i have a passport, but got married so it's in my maiden name... should i reapply for a new one (mine doesn't expire until 2011) or could i sneak with it...?

my hub can't take days off work when i have my surgery so i will have to spend some time alone... if i flew in on thursday, could i have the surgery on a friday? does anyone know if that is too soon? or should i arrive on a wednesday? hubby will drive down on saturday and take me home sunday...

i ask too many questions! i also talk too much. go figure!

Audree, thanks for checking on me! You have enough to deal with getting through this liquid phase. I was banded two weeks before Easter. I remember sticking scalloped potatoes in the blender with some milk (I was desperate!) But it was horrible!

When you can have soft foods, try ricotta cheese with an egg mixed up, then pour Prego, or some spaghetti sauce over it, cover and bake. It is yummy!

Hang in there!!! You are doing great! (And you are even encouraging others along the way...WTG)

hi! i'm not sure if i'm a low bmi... probably not... 210lbs 5'1 bmi 39.7.

i was wondering if anyone else had similar stats that have already been banded.

i' friends and family. i want to make a good impression and not be ashamed at how heavy i am.

i

i ask too many questions! i also talk too much. go figure!

Your BMI is the same as mine. I am 5'2" and I started out at 212. I am down to 199 in 15 days. I am on a liquid diet though. At first liquids were hard but not so much anymore. I am just thrilled to be losing. I was hungry the first week but not at all anymore. I have to remember it's time to drink a Protein drink in order to get my Protein in, instead of my stomach growling all the time. I am actually afraid to go back to food-afraid I will stop losing.

Best of luck to you. I experienced no pain what so ever. This has been pretty easy, compared to what I imagined.:):):girl_hug:

What kind of hot chocolate is it? I am having some really good cream Soups. I also bought nectar Protein drink, it is fruity. Fuzzy navel tastes like Tang. I bought Stawberry Kiwi and a sample pack.

Egg flower Soup is good. Where did you buy it? I wonder if there are any good recipes for it out there???

Audree

I got the egg flower Soup at the Chinese restaurant. There is a food thread on the main page that gives a recipe for it but I am too lazy to make it from scratch. Not that it's hard. :phanvan

Where did you get your nectar Protein Drink? I went to Bariatric Eating but I was really surprised at how much shipping they added on. It comes out cheaper for me to buy the Isopure from my dr.'s office. I bought the hot chocolate from him too. I would imagine you could use regular sugar free hot chocolate and add a scoop of Protein powder to it. I have been advised that the best Protein Powder is at unjury.com. I got mine from my daughter though. She had RNY a year ago and had lots of stuff left over.

I would like to find a site that doesn't add so much for shipping. I don't think I got enough Protein in today but I am just not hungry.

Have a good tomorrow!:):):girl_hug:

I was 191 at my banding Nov. 30. After 2 fills (first 1cc, 2nd 1.2cc) I have offically lost 14 lbs. (more like 16-18 on my scale) I am 5 ft 5 1/2 inches. Was 31.5 bmi, now 29.5 SO NO LONGER OBESE! Weight is coming off oh ...so...slow..., but I am losing. My dr office says 1 lb a week is good. I do not really do anything I am supposed to do as far as eating/drinking/exercising. The protien shakes make me sick. I have a real hard time drinking enough. An egg in the morning really helps get me going. I am finally feeling good after how many weeks? This is going to work, although slowly.

Congrats Kathyinca!!!

I wonder why some food just doens't agree anymore even if it is pureed or chewed to liquid? I had cream of corn, totally liquid and it made me sick. It didn't come up but made me feel horribley bloated!!!!

Hey, don't worry about the ice cream. That is the beauty of the band. We can have a little reward now and then because we are not in the diet bondage anymore. It is better not to deny yourself or else you might binge, at least that is how I am.

As long as ice cream is not a daily thing, I have heard of people using chips and ice cream to eat "around the band" and start to gain. But sometimes is good. How much were you able to eat? I bet the portion was a lot different than pre band.

I am freezing in CA too and don't remember it being so cold, almost like being in the snow cold. I have a little Koi pond and it actually had ice in it.

I am post op day 9 and feeling really good. Audree

Hi ladies........I updated my ticker this morning!! My plateau ended and the scale is moving. Actually, it is moving faster than I expected -- which is a nice surprise :) I think it is the combination of the fill and also the exercise that I've been doing for the past few weeks. When i updated my ticker I also added my *real* starting weight, which was about 5 pounds heavier than when I started to consider the lapband. It all was work......and I want to remember where I really came from when I get to the other end of that ticker. I realized that I have already lost 1/3 of what I want to lose......when I look at it from that perspective I realize that I can do this. Also - the daily changes in my body are the reward along the way. I know that I have days where my body shape changes even though it doesn't get reflected in the scale. The biggest benefit of this weight loss thus far is my energy levels and my ability to keep up with my toddler son.

I did eat some ice cream with my family today -- not a great choice. However, I also ran 3 miles tonight to burn off all those calories. Oh well, I'm not going to beat myself up for a treat once and a while. It was good and it satisfied me as I deal with PMS.

All in all, the fill is working pretty well. I still have some tough moments where I wonder if something is going to get stuck or not. Every new food is an adventure! I will never, never, never eat a hard boiled egg ever again with this band. I ate slow, it was chewed in tiny pieces, I started my meal with some sips of hot tea to "open up" the band......and that darn thing still came up. The salad and veggies in the salad were fine.......it was just that egg that did not agree with my band.

Sounds like you ladies are doing good. I really like this thread Audree......thanks for starting it. I read this every night even if I don't have anything to add.

It is freezing here in California (literally, freezing........cannot imagine what the temps are elsewhere in the country).....so I'm headed to bed, under the covers, early tonight. Have a good evening everyone!

Kathy