Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to Mexico for the Sleeve!

I am not sure if this is where I am to introduce myself but here goes....Surgery Date: May 27th Gastric Sleeve Reynosa, Mexico Dr. Felipe Cantu $6,900 plus cost of EGD

Hello all!

First I'd like to say thank you all for posting your journey for all to read. The stories and posts have been so helpful in me making my decision to have this surgery.

I am a 37 year old female. Married...3 wonderful girls. I taught in the classroom for many years and now work part time(4 days a week) as a facilitator at a local high school. Spending time with my children and family makes my heart beat everyday! They are the JOY of my life!!!

My weight loss story started on May 9, 2008 when I had the lap-band procedure. LIFE as I once knew it changed that very day. Initially the weight-loss journey was good. Chewing, eating slow, and learning the foods that I could and couldn't eat was smooth. Two years after I got the band I started having severe pains where the port was located. Driving, sweeping, getting up from a seated position, turning in bed,, gardening, as well walking upstairs HURT! Movement HURT. I visited with my surgeon on several occasions about the pain. The discussions were always dismissed because after he felt around my stomach area he would say everything is where it should be..ex:band/port. Months went by and in addition to the pain, I started to not be able to tolerate eating on some days...it depended on whether I had irritated whatever was going on inside of me. A huge red circle, hot to touch started appearing around the port area. The redness would come and go just as the pain did. Finally, I was DONE. I went back to my surgeon in TEARS and insisted that he take everything out. The issue then became that my insurance would not pay for the removal. At that point I didn't care, I knew something was terribly wrong and needed it fixed. It was agreed that my surgeon would preform an EGD and make the decision to remove the band and port. What was supposed to take 45 minutes ended up taking 4 hours in the OR. My port had DETACHED from my stomach wall and was floating around. A cyst, the size of an orange, had formed around the port to protect it as my body recognized that it was a foreign object (hello! that is what was hurting me!!!). For weeks after the removal a "valley" (where they cyst/port would sit when not floating) had formed and would fill up with body fluids. A small bump would rise up on my stomach which meant the sac was filling up. I had to have the "sac/valley" aspirated for 6 weeks post removal.

The whole experience was a NIGHTMARE. It is still to this day so vivid in my memory. My family had to suffer though my aches, pains, and grumpiness from hurting.

I am looking forward to having the sleeve done. Dr. Cantu is taking several precautionary measures to make the surgery can be done safely EX: EGD, cardio clearance

Trust me.. I hear ya! Congrats on your future surgery and welcome!

Thank you for sharing! I'm considering going to Mexico and would LOVE to hear more! I'm scared out of my mind and don't know how to chose the right doctor. I love that this Dr. Is doing the EGD. The dr. That Im thinking about using dr. Ponce de leon said I'm the first person who has ever even asked about an EGD. They have no answer as to why they don't do it. :-(

Welcome to the group! And you're story, like so many others, is why I'm doing the sleeve. You are a brave person for moving beyond that nightmare!

Thank you for sharing! I'm considering going to Mexico and would LOVE to hear more! I'm scared out of my mind and don't know how to chose the right doctor. I love that this Dr. Is doing the EGD. The dr. That Im thinking about using dr. Ponce de leon said I'm the first person who has ever even asked about an EGD. They have no answer as to why they don't do it. :-(

I chose Dr. Cantu because 2 family members of mine had it done with him and are doing amazingly well. I visited the hospital over Spring Break in Reynosa to calm my nerves about the location. I compare the hospital to a brand new Marriott hotel.

I, too, battled with picking the right doctor. It was between Dr. Guillermo Alvarez and Dr. Felipe Cantu. Dr. Cantu's price was a bit cheaper and I did not want to be too far from home (I live in Texas and the cost of flying to California was too pricey for me ) . That's how I narrowed down the two doctors. While I was visiting the hospital I was given the pre operation prescriptions ekg, chest x-ray, full bloodwork, and prilosec to be done here in the US. It is cheaper for me to go through my insurance for the pre op requirements. I am taking an extra precautionary measure and getting cardiac clearance tomorrow with my cardiologist. My PCP supports me fully and want me to see him post op 2 weeks.

I hope this helps!!! Good luck to you!

I too am from the Houston area and will be having my revision from the band to sleeve on May 22nd with Dr. Garcia in TJ.

I chose Dr. Cantu because 2 family members of mine had it done with him and are doing amazingly well. I visited the hospital over Spring Break in Reynosa to calm my nerves about the location. I compare the hospital to a brand new Marriott hotel.

I, too, battled with picking the right doctor. It was between Dr. Guillermo Alvarez and Dr. Felipe Cantu. Dr. Cantu's price was a bit cheaper and I did not want to be too far from home (I live in Texas and the cost of flying to California was too pricey for me ) . That's how I narrowed down the two doctors. While I was visiting the hospital I was given the pre operation prescriptions ekg, chest x-ray, full bloodwork, and prilosec to be done here in the US. It is cheaper for me to go through my insurance for the pre op requirements. I am taking an extra precautionary measure and getting cardiac clearance tomorrow with my cardiologist. My PCP supports me fully and want me to see him post op 2 weeks.

I hope this helps!!! Good luck to you!

PLEASE keep me updated on your story and after your surgery. I'm wanting to have the surgery (NOW lol) in the first week of June maybe. Really asap. LOL ... who did you contact? Do you mind giving me the contact information? I love that he is doing an EGD, when I contacted his patient care coordinator she didn't even know what an EGD was. :-( that makes me nervous.

Lupita Lopez is the patient coordinator for Dr. Cantu.

Her number is (512) 258-0243 or (512) 970-6680

In June the price will be going from $6900 to $7900. I was going to have mine done in June, but I didn't want to pay $1,000 more.