Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 weeks out and can barely eat anything!

I am 7 weeks out (on Wednesday) and I still have so much restriction that I can barely eat anything! I am cleared for regular food at this point, but I still stick with soft foods because many foods don't always agree with me. I'm lactose intolerant (which has gotten worse since surgery) so I can't do milk, yogurt or ice cream and had a very difficult time finding a Protein Drink in the beginning that didn't make me sick. I had no idea whey Protein is milk protein. Isopure was the only thing I could somewhat tolerate and now it makes me gag. Even drinking can be difficult. Last night I took one too many sips of my Gatorade G2 and threw it all up. I'm drained all the time because my calories are too low. I work full-time and eating makes me nervous now because I never know if it will make me sick. My surgeon said this is normal for the first few months. I had hoped it would get easier at this point, but I feel stuck where I'm at.

You might have to be crafty to find the Protein sources that will work for you. I noticed Amazon does feature lactose-free products, and I'm sure your local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC or bariatric pantry have products that will do the job. http://www.amazon.com/Plant-Fusion-Supplement-Chocolate-Pound/dp/B0021FAITU/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1367872766&sr=1-3&keywords=lactose+free+protein+powder

I was looking at plant fusion and it has good reviews. I used to make Protein shakes with lactaid to eliminate some of the lactose, but I am not really intolerant, but our nutritionist said that many people for some reason become lactose intolerant after surgery.

Other than that, if you can tolerate soft food, perhaps look into Quinoa as a Protein source. Do some research, it looks pretty good, and of course there is soy.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble eating. Keep working at it, little by little you will hopefully make progress. As tough as it is, this period is where you will lose most of your weight and as it gets easier to eat, the loss will slow down, so it actually works in your favor. Look at this as a positive if you can.

Good luck on your journey!!

Silken tofu makes a lovely smoothie too, when blended with fruit!