Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Researching lap band...Doc. not supportive

MaryRose, as long as she keeps you coming back, it's just more money in her bank account. I would at least get a doctor that is younger and a little more up to date with weight loss solutions.

Oh My gosh, that is exactly what I told my daughter last night. If we were all at our correct weight and healthier, they would be out of business!!!

Thanks mykdsdad.

Thanks so much for your support. I decided to start keeping a journal and may send this first page to my doctor. If she cannot accept this, then I am out the door looking for a new doctor.

Gastric banding.

Why would anyone consider this surgery? This does seem like such a drastic measure to take. Well, I have been researching this approach for a few years now. Roux NY/gastric bypass is a permanent approach I would never consider; too risky and anatomy altering. Having worked in radiology and transcribing GI’s following this surgery for complications, I would not even think about this drastic surgery.

Gastric banding is just a tool to losing weight, hopefully, permanently. First of all, the surgeons at Weight Management will not even look at you until you have gone to their seminar. This is a 2 hour long informational meeting. Also, you have to attend two of their post-op support group meetings. You get to actually meet patients that have had the surgery, see the results for yourself and ask any questions. This is quite an involved process requiring counseling before, during and after. You have one-on-one visits with weight management and counseling. You have to meet with a dietitian, lose 10% of the excess weight on your own before you can have the surgery, this gets you started on healthy eating and smaller portions that you will carry out for the rest of your life. You also get hit in the wallet for 400.00 (not refundable and not covered by insurance) to cover the extra costs of Pre/post-op support meetings, etc. The fact that the band is a safe procedure. Initially it is just inserted unfilled, until your body heals, then the band is adjusted to your personal specifications. This takes a few visits from what I had read til they find the right fit. I like that approach. If you are not losing enough weight, this can be adjusted to your needs.

So, how does a person get into such a “mess” to begin with. Well, for me, overeating is an addiction plain and simple. If I said I don’t know why I am overweight, I would be lying to myself and others. People are addicted to cigarettes, drugs, etc. food for me is a crutch. For example, I challenge anyone to try to lose 10 lbs. Even an average weight person. Well, OK, lose the 10 lbs. That’s actually not too hard. We know, I have lost weight and gained it back so many times it’s not funny. Now, try to keep it of and try to X’s that by 5, 10, 15 or whatever the amount an obese/morbidly obese person needs to lose to get healthy and keep it off for life. I’m not talking losing weight to just to fit into those jeans. How about losing half that amount just to get healthier? It’s not easy, otherwise there would be a heck of a lot of thin people out there. A favorite line we hear a lot is “ Get some exercise, just push yourself away from the table”. Or the attitude that obese people are lazy slobs that just can’t control ourselves. What about exercise. OK. Being overweight is very painful. Try walking 1 hr. a day ( or even 15 min.) when you can hardly get out of bed because you feel tired and achy all the time. Sounds like a lot of excuses doesn’t it. Well, this is a big mess because I just can’t do it on my own. Whatever the reason, if I have to admit my weakness, then I guess I admit and own up to it. I have always considered myself a strong and independent person and that means I am owning up to my problem and doing something about it.

So, at age 52, I have come to the point where I am going to accept some help for my “problem”. And that is where gastric banding comes in. It is just a tool. I will have to go to the meetings and lean what I can do and not do. If this things gets off the ground ( I hope) and the weight starts coming off with help from the band and a lot of work on my part, my goal is to get up and start moving, which will be a lot easier with that extra 40/50 lbs. off and more to come once I get myself into gear and start moving. Improved health is my goal. Being able to cut down on some of my meds is a bonus.

This is the first time in a long time I have actually been really excited anticipating a good thing and I’m hopping on. I figure, the technology is there, gastric banding is safe, the insurance should pay, and hopefully I will be accepted into the program.

Well, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

I have a couple of comments...

1. I don't necessarily think you should drop your doctor if you don't agree with her opinion. You are paying her to give you her opinion. But you are the person in charge, not her. Ultimately you want to get several medical opinions and then make the decision yourself. If you have had a lot of luck with her as your PCP then I don't see this as a reason to change necessarily. She has her medical reasons for not caring for the surgery... and she may not be up to date on all the procedures. She may think the Lap band causes dumping syndrome, which is true of other bariatric surgeries but not this one. I personally would in general rather have a primary care doctor who is conservative in doling out drugs and recommending surgeries.

2. I have found a lot of people, medical and non medical, are fairly unsupportive of obese people and obesity surgery. People seem to think if you would just try a little harder then you would be able to be like normal people. Doctors probably won't say that out loud to your face, just like most other people won't say it out loud to your face either. But in my experience, they are thinking it in their heads...

3. If you need her approval to get insurance coverage, then you may have to switch doctors... but if you don't have coverage and go to Mexico to have the surgery then I definitely wouldn't tell her you did that. She would probably flip her lid!

Good luck...

My doctor didn't support me either...but I care for and respect my physician so I wouldn't think of changing. Many PCP's are not fully educated to make a decision regarding this surgery so I wouldn't take it to heart. I noticed at the end you said high bp and high cholesterol...nothing drastic...they're co morbidities causes of death so I guess I'd say those are pretty drastic.

Make your own choice and help your doc through the process that's what I did and am doing.

Be well.

Wow Maryrose, I am so sorry that your Dr. responded that way to you. I would have been a bit shocked at that reaction myself.

My first reaction was to tell you what everyone else has said and drop the Dr. However, as I read everyone's responses, I remembered the first time I mentioned this surgery to my husband two and a half years ago. He basically flipped a gasket. He had never been blatently against anything I wanted, so I was a bit shocked.

The more I researched and the more I explained to him, he really did a 180 about what he thought of my decision. Maybe your PCP just needs to be educated. She may not even understand the differences between the lap band, the bypass and stomach stapeling.

I am glad you had the forum to share your experience. If that happened to me and I didn't have this board, I wouldn't know what to do. I feel so fortunate that we have access to this community of people who know exactly what we are going through. It has definitely made my journey easier.

but if you don't have coverage and go to Mexico to have the surgery then I definitely wouldn't tell her you did that. She would probably flip her lid!

Good luck...

I totally disagree with this. I went to Mexico to have my surgery and went to my regular doc a few days before to see about changing one of my prescriptions to a smaller pill. I told her. She kind of freaked a little about me going to Mexico, but chilled out after she asked me a bunch of questions that I could answer. I had researched it and knew someone that went to the same place. She felt better after that. She also called me at home the next week (herself) and checked on me. That sure made me feel good.

I think you should tell her if you go elsewhere. Of course that is just my .02 worth.

Hi Mary Rose-

I was banded 2 weeks ago today, and you would not believe that hassle I had to go through to achieve this!

If you are like me I l0ve my Doctor, and I too, was shocked when he reacted negatively to the mere mention of a lap band. I also see a psychiatrist for depression and even he was against it, as was my psychologist!! I felt so frustrated and angry.

My Lap Band Doctor told me that NO ONE has the right to tell me what I can and can not do with my body! Same for you, You sound like you are the perfect candidate for Lap Band Surgery!

Anyway what worked for me was I just bugged my doctor, and talked about it incessantly, while I was in his office having the necessary tests and blood work for my Lap Band Doctor. He finally relented!

He was most of all concerned with my health, and malnutrition.

Well I made him a promise to always get enough of what my body needs, and he gave me his blessing finally!

(I said to heck with my psychiatrist and psychologist, they can see me in a year!!):clap2:

Good Luck to you- I know exactly what you are feeling right now!

Karen

weight.png

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been more than researching the lap band. I went to an informational meeting last Tues. evening. I have been reading this site for a few weeks and find this an excellent site with great people.

I am over 100 lbs. overweight. My doctor knows this is an ongoing problem, as I have been seeing her for years. I brought this up to her this morning and was totally shocked at her negative attitude regarding this surgery. I only mentioned that I went to the meeting and wanted to look into seeing the Surgeon and she bluntly told me she did not think I was a good candidate. Obviously, she has not been keeeping up to date as far as I'm concerned with the problems we face. She mentioned she has extremely morbidly obese patients that should refers almost as a last resort, but she did not think my health was being compromised enough....in so many words. I look pretty good, I carry my weight well, and exercise 1/2 hour a day, but the weight is there and my BMI is over 40...I just don't know what to do. I don't understand why she would think a 280 lb. woman is not a good candidate for lap band. She think I need to try harder to lose weight.....I am so discouraged I cried all the home in my car. :think

Any advise?

I am reasonably healthy, high cholesterol, HBP, nothing hugely drastic.

Thanks for listening...you are all a great bunch.

I would say that HBP and high cholesterol would definately would be the co-morbidities and someone that is 100 lbs overweight would be a canditate for Lap Band surgery.

May I suggest that you speak to someone at the "informational meeting" you went to last Tuesday, and maybe they can recommend a primary doctor you can speak to that can request your medical records from the doctor who is giving you a hard time. In other words, time to change your doctor.

Good luck.

:grouphug:

I can't thank you all enough for your support! I was really ready to hang it up, but this site has helped so much. I am so fortunate to have found just a great group of people that would take the time to respond.

My next step will be calling the Weight Management team and go from there. I am sure they have dealt with this issue and will guide me in the right direction.

Thank you all again.

You guys are the best :D

You do what makes you feel better. My sister is a doctor and is totally against me doing this but you know what...She does not have a weight problem. I am doing this with or without her support on the 20th. And you know what she offered to keep my daughter for me. You have lived with yourself so you do what makes you feel better. Not to many people can understand whay I am doing the surgery. I have heard the same thing. You are not that overweight, guess I carry my weight well too. I also exercise. I am 5'7 and 276. It is time to do something permanent and life changing for ME!