Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cold Feet... Getting banded 12/14/06

Hello Everyone, My name is Cherie. I live in Arkansas where I haven't met a lot of lap banders. The support group that I met had like 10 people in it.

I'am scheduled for lap band surgery on Dec.14, 2006 and Iam starting to get cold feet..I figure I'll be a nervous wreck before Thursday gets here! Iam also starting to get very weak from my pre-op diet.. Iam really worried about the gas pains after surgery and depression from not being able to eat... I cant sleep, all I can think about is, Am I doing the right thing?

Has anyone else had these thoughts??? Happy to be aboard and ready to be healthy and hopefully someday be a "Hot Mama with personality!!!":help:

Perfectly normal to have second thoughts and cold feet! I was a wreck the week before and then strangely calm the day of surgery. It will totally change your life, and if you do tons of research you will be well prepared. What does your preop diet consist of? You might ask your doc or nutritionist if you can add some chicken or tuna for more Protein.< /p>

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't have any gas pains whatsoever. I never used any pain meds at all and believe me, I'm no hero, I would have used them if I needed them.

I am 7 weeks out and have no complications at all. I have lost 33 lbs and feel great. I eat normally. I eat healthier and have much smaller portions. I eat out. Only a couple of people know I had the surgery and the rest don't suspect a thing!

Good luck

Dear Cold Feet,

I was worried about a stroke or heart attack without the Lapband. I went thru some depression from not be able to eat as MUCH as I wanted to but when I retired my 26 jeans for a 22, then 22 for a 20 and when I put those 18's on (now they are loose) my depression is gone. I truly believe in "eating feels good, but thin feels better". Im not thin yet but I feel regular size now . No more plus for me.

Can you lose it and help your health without it? With exercise and your band you will get a high like overeating never gave me.

Be brave and do this for your health.

edie

Hi Cherie,

I'm getting a little nervous too!! I am being banded on December 21st, and although I am confident I am doing the right thing (one that I have wanted to do for years)- the final count down is making my nerves go crazy!! I am especially worried that Christmas is going to be extremely hard this year.

Hang in there!

Christy

Hang in there Cherie!

If you feel like you're having any doubts, go view the before and after postings! It is so inspiring to see the progress that other banders have achieved! If they can do it, we can do it! We deserve to finally get control of our weight and let our inner gorgeousness out! :cheer2:

I'm scheduled for banding only a few days after you on 12/19/06--be sure to let us know how things work out for you!

hi there cherie berry

Welcome to LBT you have come to the right place and are amongst friends...We have all experienced the same feelings you are having right now...it takes courage to do what you are planning to do but for the hope of a better future. So hat off to you you have come along way already...for me...I don't regret my lapband for a moment despite the challenges/lifestyle change/disappointments it is the best thing I have ever done for myself...Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Best wishes. Keep us posted.

:) becky

Hi, yes I had gas pains for a week but it they give you this sucking device

that helps dispel the gas. You are sore (or at least I was ) in the tummy

area. But I am not hungry and have not eaten since thursday night

11:00pm, the night before my surgery. I hate to say this but I was

not given a pre op diet. Let me quess are you doing this surgery in the

US? Here they are much stricter and there is so much more paperwork,

plus psyco visit, note from your Dr., note from the president.

Get it over with and then start loosing!

Giantangel---Hugs

I didn't have any gas pains after surgery. I saw that several people suggested doing an enema then they didn't have any problems. I did the same thing and had less problems. I can't say it really really worked but if I had to do it all over again, I would do the enema again.

I also took an anxiety pill before surgery. This helped me tremendously. I have a tendency to get very anxious before surgeries.

Goodluck, I don't think you should cancel, the surgery was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I was very nervous too, and it was over in a flash!

Hi Cherie,

I was a nervous wreck a few days before the operation but just remembered how long I waited for it and being so sure all along the way - these are just last minute nerves - everyone gets them and you'd be abnormal not to.

I had hardly any gas pains, only when i came round, it stayed for an hour or two then it just dissappeared. Had to sleep upright for the first couple of days.

I didn't have a pre-op diet and any depression about not being able to eat your favourite things is blown away when you see the weight coming off, and it'll keep you going with the diet plan. My first day home was the worst as I couldn't stop thinking about food. I went through my kitchen and threw everything out that I couldn't eat. Get loads of your OK foods in before you go to hospital, that way you're up and running when you get home.

I was sore for a couple of days but was amazed at getting back to normal so quickly, I hoovered the house on my third day and was most of the way there after a week, and after 10 days I felt great. By that time you'll have your stitches out and they'll be healing nicely too. I didn't have any bruising whatsoever.

Try to remember why you wanted this in the first place and I wish you all the best with your op.

Take care,

Yvonne

x

I had gas pains, but the more I walked the better it was. If I was told that it would be 10 times worse I would do it. It is so much better now and it keeps getting better.

Hello all!

I am scheduled to have surgery on December 20th at Huacuz Surgical Center in Tijuana Mexico. I've spoken to so many patients who all had great things to say about this group. I AM A NERVOUS WRECK!!!!!!! I am thinking about cancelling the whole thing because my anxiety level as sky rocketed. I am sooooo scared!!! Does anyone have any words of encouragment for me???

Keep reading this board, overall it tells it all. What you see is people getting smaller and happy. Why do we not hear from a lot of OLD Banders? they are out dancing...I can not wait to be on the dance floor with my girl.

From One Cold Feeter to another...

I almost backed out, but I'm SOOO glad I didn't. I was up and about that day and had about four days of bed time and NO gas pain after the first day. I too was weakened mentally and physically by the pre op diet so it made me shaky on the decision, but I'm down 27 lbs in three weeks and thrilled with the decision...good luck!