Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help me troubleshoot!

I need suggestions on what I can change to pick up on the weight loss. I have been on the Plateau from Hell for about 5 months now. I think I have lost maybe 10 lbs since July. What can I change, besides my fill level?

breakfast- sugarfree or Weightsmart oatmeal, or usually a Protein Drink

lunch- almost always a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones, and I only buy the ones with broccoli or greenbeans....around 200-220 calories, but I can eat the whole thing. Sometimes a salad with tuna.< /p>

supper- whatever meat DH cooks with a green veggie (brocolli, asparagus, brusselsprouts....). Last night was Beef Stew. Normally 3-5 oz of T-bone, chicken, filet, etc.. as the meat

I have 2 cups of coffee every morning with Sugarfree coffemate. Sometimes one when I get to school. I have slipped back into buying a bag of Chile cheese Fritos and eating some with my lunch. (the 99cent bag is like 700 total calories, yikes, but lasts all week.) I have first lunch and by 2-3 if I am hungry I snack on a handful of almonds or a pudding cup. At least one weekend nite we go out with friends and I have some drinks. I was walking 3 miles 3X per week until school started back, and the exercise stopped. Is it all about fill level and exercise now? Reading over this it seems like a no-brainer what I need to change up, maybe I just need some tough love and to hear it straight up. Methinks I have become too complacent, lol.

I am not sure what is causing your plateau, unless it is just time for your body to adjust...you started at a relatively low weight, and have lost a good percentage of the total weight you wanted to lose. What you eat looks very reasonable to me, and I certainly understand your caution at getting another fill. I think you may just need to increase your activity.

On complacency: nothing wrong with that. Some time spent getting used to the new you, is time well spent, I think. When you are ready, you will do what you need to do get the pounds moving down again. I go for the less stress the better...there's not a race going on here.

Good luck with the next step of the journey!

Jack, you are most wise as always. I am very comfortable and feel very healthy and happy. My BP is back to normal and my blood sugars are remaining great. Too comfortable ....too complacent, not much difference. I do think these last 20-30 lbs will be the death of me though, lol. I used to use Fitday religiously....complacency again. Time to go back to what worked.

Mousecrazy, I love what you have to say! The problem is not that I am comfortable with the current me...it is that I can see the OLD thinner me emerging and I cant totally find her. You are totally right that it is not a race and I love the stressfree aspect of being where I am right now. I think my honeymoon period is over......it will not be all-wonderful and glorious now unless I work hard at it. I guess I need to cut the Fritos and go back to cuke slices for crunch and dust off the DVD and tapes, if not the walking shoes.

So similar to me, similar starting weight, similar goal weight, I have 16lb to go, am in the same position. I'm already running and doing weights, I couldnt do more exercise than I do, but you have plenty of scope to increase what you're doing. Walking 3 x per week is not enough, you need much more, five or six days, long sessions and probably harder work than walking.

I've just added the weights in, in the interests of really concentrating on body fat now, rather than actual weight.

Jacqui, dont misunderstand me! I have totally stopped exercising! I have to get back.... I just dont (really do) know what my problem is! I have lost my motivation, but still expect the pounds to disappear. I have tons of room for improvement on what I am doing and NOT doing. It just really helps me to get feedback and to see it in print. I am at least glad I am maintaining.

Is there maybe a physcological block for some of us when we get close to goal?

The trainer at my gym (we are friends now too) says when you reach a plateau you don't need to exercise more but push yourself harder. More weight or faster walking. She got me over a 2 week plateau with this advice. This was my third plateau since my lap band.

I fussed when she increased my weight training but now about 2 weeks later Im used to it.

I do a set of 10 on 6 machines every other day. Takes about 15 minutes. I had NEVER done weight machines but I have to admit I feel powerful doing it. Wonders never cease.

edie

Hi lianna

I find when I sip on Water throughout the day to about 2ltr a day it helps me loose more weight in the week...maybe you could try this!

:) Becky

Someone once called me a "discouraged perfectionist." That is, I would rather sabotage my success than deal with the fear of failure. Like the person who leaves their desk at work messy all the time because they fear they wouldn't get it straight enough if they tried.

Could this be what is going on?

As far as your diet goes I would have the Protein Shake for Breakfast and avoid the carbs. I would then, (if you can) stop the lean cuisines because of the sodium. It would be better if you could eat 2-3 oz. of a Protein alone. At night, I would cut the protein down. 4-5 oz is a lot for a bandster. You may want to go get another fill if you feel you need to eat a lot to become full. I know it is hard where you are but from the sounds of it your head is in the right place.

Jacqui, dont misunderstand me! I have totally stopped exercising! I have to get back.... I just dont (really do) know what my problem is! I have lost my motivation, but still expect the pounds to disappear. I have tons of room for improvement on what I am doing and NOT doing. It just really helps me to get feedback and to see it in print. I am at least glad I am maintaining.

Is there maybe a physcological block for some of us when we get close to goal?

Did I just write this post? I'm going through the same things. I almost see myself sabotaging. My cravings are back and I've lost some motivation. I still, thank heavens, can't eat like I used to (nowhere near)!!

I'm not sure abou the pyschological block? Hmmm. It definitely has something to do with the HEAD!

Shawn