Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 3 months post op and have lost a total of 70 lbs. 60 of which are post op. I have been hearing recently that major increases in Protein intake are beneficial to faster weight loss. It has to do with our BMR- basal metabolic rate. So that we don't lose muscle, it is recommended to increase protein to build more muscle as the weight comes off. I was told that it is imperative to increase protein to 160 a day to INCREASE my weight loss. So far my protein intake has been lacking, I have been averaging 50-75g a day. Has anyone else heard of this? Any suggestions? I am trying to understand the process and looking for suggestions as to how to best increase my protein without increasing everything else. If anyone else has been doing this, could you please let us know how it has been working for you? Thanks!

I am 3 months post op too. I have been in a stall for the last two months !! I am beyond frustrated !! I drink 2 Protein Shakes a day for a total of 50 grams of Protein there, plus whatever I can get in food wise. I am thinking of trying a Water fast to see if Zi can break this damn stall !! I exercise, drink drink drink....I just can't believe this. I hope your stall breaks soon, keep me posted!!

Have you thought of buying one of those tasteless Protein powders and adding it to other liquids you drink, or foods (that are initially liquid based) before they're cooked?

NewMe48, WHO told you to increase your Protein to 160g per day? That is wrong for weight loss and is a recommendation for body builders who already have little to no excess body fat and put a tremendous demand on their muscles daily. If you want to look like the Incredible Hulk some day, then sure. Right now, your body can't handle that much protein, especially your kidneys. You seriously need to consult with your doctor or QUALIFIED nutritionist before you try something so extreme. The National Institute of Health has a simple calculation to determine how much protein the average person needs, and it changes as your body changes.

It is: .8 g per 1 kg or 2.2 lbs of weight. As WLS patients we do require more because we can't/shouldn't consume enough calories to balance out our needs. That's why the Protein First rule is so important. At 3 months you should be getting 60-80 g per day. You also need good carbs, fruits and veggies to give you some quick energy and get the fat burning going. Protein alone for too long or too much will damage your kidneys and liver. Which is why the want us drinking plenty of Water to keep them flushed out.

Please! Take Care!!

I am 3 months post op and have lost a total of 70 lbs. 60 of which are post op. I have been hearing recently that major increases in Protein intake are beneficial to faster weight loss. It has to do with our BMR- basal metabolic rate. So that we don't lose muscle' date=' it is recommended to increase Protein to build more muscle as the weight comes off. I was told that it is imperative to increase protein to 160 a day to INCREASE my weight loss. So far my protein intake has been lacking, I have been averaging 50-75g a day. Has anyone else heard of this? Any suggestions? I am trying to understand the process and looking for suggestions as to how to best increase my protein without increasing everything else. If anyone else has been doing this, could you please let us know how it has been working for you? Thanks![/quote']

Most of what you've heard is accurate. The part that I take issue with is 160g of daily protein. The way to calculate how much protein you need is to use a multiplier & your lean body weight.

The average person that is just trying to maintain their already existing muscle mass would use a multiplier of .40-.50, whereas a competitive body builder would use .75-1.0(depending on whether they are bulking or leaning out).

Sleevers IMO should be slightly above average. I use a multiplier of 0.6 when I calculate minimums.

Now for most women lean body weight falls somewhere in the BMI range of 20-23, men 23-25.

For example, my lean body weight is roughly 150lbs(24.2 BMI). Using the .6 multiplier my daily minimum is 90g.

In order for a person to need 160g of daily protein they would have to be 7-7.5ft tall or have the build of Arnold Schwarzenegger (in his prime).

All of this being said, going over your minimums is never a bad thing. But remember even protein carries calories with it, and if you are not utilizing the protein you consume, your body will try to store the calories that come along with it.

NewMe48, WHO told you to increase your Protein to 160g per day? That is wrong for weight loss and is a recommendation for body builders who already have little to no excess body fat and put a tremendous demand on their muscles daily. If you want to look like the Incredible Hulk some day, then sure. Right now, your body can't handle that much Protein, especially your kidneys. You seriously need to consult with your doctor or QUALIFIED nutritionist before you try something so extreme. The National Institute of Health has a simple calculation to determine how much protein the average person needs, and it changes as your body changes.

It is: .8 g per 1 kg or 2.2 lbs of weight. As WLS patients we do require more because we can't/shouldn't consume enough calories to balance out our needs. That's why the Protein First rule is so important. At 3 months you should be getting 60-80 g per day. You also need good carbs, fruits and veggies to give you some quick energy and get the fat burning going. Protein alone for too long or too much will damage your kidneys and liver. Which is why the want us drinking plenty of Water to keep them flushed out.

Please! Take Care!!

Body builders follow this recipe: They take in 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass I know I did this in my "younger years: haha, they also only do about 30 gram a serving as the body can only assimilate about that much at any one time. That's why you see those really big guys/gals constantly eating, a normal WLS patient should follow their proscribed plan which is much less as every gram of protein is 4 calories, if you are seriously weight lifting you should discuss that with your Dr. he can adjust your plan to fit your physical demands. I guess my point here is that as a WLS patient your very lucky in that your weight loss will always be monitored by a health care professional and you should really lean on that to leverage the resource.

Sorry for confusion. Actually my surgeon has been recently talking about the increase in Protein. Fortunately I also work in the same operating room with him. He has brought up the subject of the increase in protein. I MAY have misinterpreted the total amount and will double check this with him. I do know he says a significant increase will help boost the weight loss. I already plan on extra Water intake because I am worried about kidneys etc. my next appointment is this Wednesday. I plan on leaving that appointment fully informed by my surgeon and NUT. I will repost everything they are recommending as soon as I can. I trust my surgeon he is totally devoted to his patients and really takes his time with everyone. He recently attended a conference for non surgical weight loss and I think he came across research regarding WLS patients. I will definitely find out exactly what he is recommending. I brought this subject on here to see if anyone else has heard of this. Thank you for your responses!! This is the only site I truly love because I know I am not alone and enjoy everyone on here!!

I am 3 months post op too. I have been in a stall for the last two months !! I am beyond frustrated !! I drink 2 Protein shakes a day for a total of 50 grams of Protein there, plus whatever I can get in food wise. I am thinking of trying a Water fast to see if Zi can break this damn stall !! I exercise, drink drink drink....I just can't believe this. I hope your stall breaks soon, keep me posted!!

Stay with the plan, and keep the faith I to had about a 1 month stall I haven't been watching the scale much as I did this surgery specifically to address my health conditions "Diabetes, liver disease from diabetes, blood pressure etc." but noticed especially early on and you are early on it slowed down and stopped at what seemed to be pretty quick sounds like alot of the folks are having the same issue, but seem to pass through this barrier. My thoughts are that this is where the real weight loss starts and where most diets fail as you lose some then the loss stalls or slows and interest is lost. Shock your body with extra fluids and activity, but keep in mind you could be gaining muscle while increasing activity :)

Thank you O.T.R. sleever for the "sleeve specific" calculations! I was trying to find them online but couldn't find a reliable source. So grateful for this site and its monitors!!

My nutritionist told me I need 100 g of Protein per day. I'm 2 weeks post op and can't even get to 50. :-/