Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-operation questions

Hi all,

I'm new here & so happy to have discovered this site!

I am having my surgery the 28th of December. 18 days & counting down!!!!!

My doc is having me start on a fat-free yogurt diet 1 week prior to my surgery, to help reduce the size of my liver? Has everybody else had to do this too? How did you do it?

I know I will be avoiding all Christmas activities because having to explain all of this is just too much. There are only a few who know I'm going through this & I'm not sure if I should tell anybody else. Any advice?

Also, once I got my surgery date scheduled, I started having thoughts of, "I better eat some of that before I won't be able to eat it anymore". Anyone identify with that? What have you done to help those pre-op urges? I know it's important to shrink my liver so I want to follow the rules.

I ate at an all-you-can-eat buffet yesterday just because I know it will be something of my past after I have surgery. But! I stopped eating this time before I was actually 'full', so I feel like I'm really ready for this surgery. I guess I'm trying to mentally prepare myself.

Anybody have any advice for someone like me who's going into surgery in a few weeks?

About eating?

About exercise?

About moral support?

About drinking Water?

I have so many questions running through my mind I don't even know where to start!

Thanks in advance!!!

Keep up your hard work! :clap2:

What an inspiration you all are!

I was banded on 11/14 and I asked my dr about the week before diet to shrink the liver. He said to just eat wisely and that nothing will shrink the liver in one week anyway. He also explained that people who are overweight have fatty, enlarged liver so they are prepared for that. But if that's what your dr wants you to do then you should do it. It'll be tough but I know a few who have done it. As far as the "I want to eat eveything I can before the surgery" I had the same problem and boy did I eat. Probably not the smartest thing but I did it anyway. The best you can do is what you're doing. Mentally preparing yourself. Drinking Water for me is tough, but I keep trying. It's really a learning process. The anticipation of the whole process is worse then when you actually go through it. You'll be fine! Good luck.

I'm just glad my surgeon felt the same way. He said that even 2 weeks of a preop diet wouldn't help your liver. My liver was enlarged but they still had no problems. I eat like usual up until the night before surgery.

I had to be on Optifast for 2 weeks prior to my surgery on 22 Nov 06. I admit it was tough for the first few days and I really struggled, but I just kept telling myself it was all for a reason. My surgeon wouldn't have operated on me if I hadn't of done Optifast (and would have been pissed if he had of cut me open and I still had a ginormous liver).

As for exercise, just try to do some gentle exercise, walking especially (it helps with the gas too) after your surgery as you feel ready too. The sooner you get into the routine, the better. But don't rush yourself, you need to make sure you are healing, that is your priority in the first month or so.

As for food, just follow what your Dr says and you can't go wrong. if you slip up along the way, don't beat your self up about it. This is a bit change you are making to you life and your relationship with food. We all have to rework our habits and how we relate to food. Thats part of the journey. Oh and drink as much Water as you can tolerate between meals (my Dr says wait an hour after meals to drink), keep yourself hydrated, thats uber important.

But just be proud, most of all, that you are making a decision for you, and for your future and your health. Although it hasn't even been a month since my surgery, and I have had some rough days, the progress I can see already, makes me certain that I made a great decision.

Best of luck!

hi there

I ate like a pig up to the night of my surgery....Hmmm no so good advice but it was like the 'last supper' for me. But commonsense prevails...if your dr says it you better do it.

Good luck on your surgery...

:) becky

I started Low Carbing it the second I got of the scales at the doctor office during my 1st consultation. I figured, the more I lose before surgery, the less I'll have to lose after surgery.(I've already lost 19 lbs since 11/22)

My doctor wants me to follow a Low carb diet 3 weeks before suregery, then total liquids 48 hours before surgery. My surgery will not be until 1/18.

Every doc is different, but you should follow YOUR docs advice.

Just remember that this is for the surgery and it is only a short time. Next year you won't even be thinking about the liquid phase, you'll be thinking, "Wow, look how good I look":wow2:

Before my surgery I had "last supper" syndrome too. I visited all of my favorite restaurants and ate my favorite dish from each one before my surgery.

I can still eat most of the things I could before. I just eat a LOT less of it. Appetizer bread before a meal is now 1 regular size bite(band bites its about 4) instead of 6 pieces. Pasta is now about 3 regular size bites(band bites its about 12) instead of two HUGE bowls. I can't eat pizza crust anymore and I don't miss it. I never have room for dessert anymore and don't really miss that either.

My chicken marsala at California pizza Kitchen yesterday turned out to be 5 meals. Before surgery I would have asked for extra bread then ate the dish and probably bought dessert. I don't feel the least bit cheated about not being able to eat large portions. I actually get more enjoyment out of my food now that I am banded. I would take huge bites, swallow half whole and just shovel it in before. Now, I take my time and actually enjoy the flavor.

So, I guess my point is... You aren't really "giving up" food like other diets, you are more giving up large portions of food instead. I haven't felt like I have been on a diet at any time during my journey so far. Diets leave you hungry and desiring food that you aren't suppose to eat. The band leaves you satisfied as well as excited every time you look in the mirror.

Wow faybe...

Your post hit home with me! I agree that being banded is just giving up larger portions instead of feeling like a diet. I definitely don't want to feel like I'm on a diet while banded...and I'm sure that I won't feel that way. Deprivation is not a good place for me to be in.

Thanks to everybody for your advice & stories. It's giving me a lot to think about...

Hey there,

I not so long ago posted, HOW THE HECK DO YOU DO THE PRE-OP DIET...

I got some great answers if you want to look it up. One gal posted a link to a video of the surgery, where it shows them LIFTING YOUR LIVER and holding it up with prongy things for the whole surgery. The video is about an hour and very interesting, but the liver part is 16 minutes in.

That has motivated me to stay on my diet. Of course I don't start my pre-op diet until after Christmas, thank God! I will let you know how the motivation is 2 days in, haha.

Since I have until after Christmas, I have been doing lots of last meals HA!

I am so addicted to this site now. I am just reading all the threads and I have learned so much. Unlike a lot of lay-person type threads, I have found that the information here is really accurate. People seem to really know what they are talking about. And the support has been just awesome.

Hope your surgery goes great!

I had to do MediFast for two weeks prior to surgery the first three days were brutal...after that it was pretty easy sailing. From what I understand, and I'm no doctor, it's not just about shrinking the liver it's about how much room ends up around there because of it's size meaning less air has to be put in...for instance, I did the diet and had literally no gas pain except for the first night.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, in those two weeks and the week after surgery I lost 27 lbs and it gave me a huge morale boost...so do the diet and you'll get a fantastic mental jump start.

Thanks carebear and Diane Brink for saying such nice things about my post. I am on cloud 9 these days as I am now wearing size 16 down from a 22. My old clothes look like I am a kid wearing my moms "dress up clothes". Everyday I find a new piece of clothing that is too big. I don't always realize it before I get to work however. LOL.

I show people my before photo and they don't even believe its me! Now... that is the best feeling of all.

Good luck to you.