Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 Year Old Lapband...has anyone else had one this long and been revised?

Hi Everyone,

I've followed VST for several years and finally joined. For years I've found this board so informative and helpful. Many thanks to all of you who have shared your stories, situations, ups and downs, victories and accomplishments! I'm positive there are many of us who are lurking in the background, learning, reading, watching, waiting and wishing. Fortunately, for me, I've jumped through all the hoops and completed all the pre this and that and I'm having my revision on Monday May 6. Heres my story.....

In 2002, I "bought" a lap band... I'm 4'11", my starting weight was 202 lbs and my lowest weight was 135 lbs. I've had a love hate (mostly hate) relationship with my band for over 11 years, now I'm thrilled to have it removed. With my lapband, I reached 135 lbs by way of "overfills", puking and chewing and spitting my food. I never successfully found my "sweet spot". I maintained my weight for over a year around 2006 and had 26k in plastic surgery...lower body lift, breast lift, liposuction to arms, thighs, axilla etc.. HUGE MISTAKE. Shortly after my plastic surgery I began having serious complications with my persnickety lapband - vomiting blood, shortness of breath, chest pain etc.. Went to the Dr. after "band slip this and dilated that" (I was told about 5-6 different reasons) and various other band issues the unfilled my lapband and left it to heal. Once I had it unfilled, my Dr. went into teaching and was no longer doing any WLS. When I was ready, not one Dr wanted to refill or touch my lapband after my previous complications...they all recommeded removing and revising to RNY. I was reluctant to have RNY and decided to just deal with it. Over time I noticed, I couldn't wear tight pants, tight bra, or anything that was restricting, most anything that put pressure in any area of my abdomen left me miserable. This year I began to have some serious breathing issues...went through a multitude of tests, eventually was diagnosed with adult onset asthma...started on steroid injections then steroid dose packs, steroid nasal and steroid oral inhalers etc...the list is long and I could go on but to make it short...finally after more testing etc.. the GI doctor discovered that all of my issues have been caused by my lapband. I addition, I've regained all the weight, ballooned up to 214 lbs, and Im now hypertensive and prediabetic. It's been a turbulent ride!!

My question is... has anyone else out there had their lapband for over 10 years when they were revised to sleeve? I've had long conversations with my Dr about the possible complications and risk etc...he has reassured me too many times to count. I have great confidence in him and I know I'm in good hands but I'm curious if anyone else out there has been down this road as well. Thank you!!!!

I had mine for 8 years before having revision surgery in June 2012...

Had mine eight years then had it removed due to slippage then had vsg

Hi PEvette and Lotti Thanks for your responses. How did your surgery go when you were revised and was your stay in the hospital prolonged? How are you doing now? Sorry I have tons of questions but I'll stop there for now. :)

I've had mine 9 years coming up in September. Just went to my surgeons office today to discuss removal. I hate it! I have an endoscopy scheduled on 5/16 to see if their are complications from it, etc. Good Luck on getting your revision!!!

Hi everyone! I've had my band for 3 years and I am also considering getting a sleeve. I've had horrible experiences that have led me to empty my band. Vomiting, chocking, chest pain etc. for the people that have had the sleeve. Do you ever feel like your choking on your food? ?!

Hi,

My story has a number of similarities to yours. I also hate the lap band, but fortunately, it has not caused asthma or anything like that. My doctor suggested I have the sleeve. He knew I had the lap band,and he told me the sleeve could get rid of a lot of other issues I had before the band. Issues like diabetes and high blood pressure. Within 2 days, I told him I wanted to go ahead with it. And he started monitoring my weight immediately, even before I found a surgeon. The surgeon he recommended didn't take my insurance, so....

I thought I'd go back to the surgeon who did the band and see if he would do the revision. What a horrible experience! he started by saying he didn't do the band anymore because it didn't work. and the fact that I didn't lose weight wasn't my fault. Then he proceeded to tell me to live with the band and maybe I could find someone to fill it. Like you, I couldn't find anyone to fill it for years, including him. He had moved on to doing the sleeve. So anyway the surgeon decides I should have an esophogram to take a look at the band. He told me it was fine, no slippage, yada yada yada. Then he told me how risky the revision was to the point of putting me in fear of death.

I was (am still) so angry with that surgeon. What mixed messages he gave me. But at least I got the esophogram out of the way. I found a surgeon who takes my insurance, and I am very happy with her, but also nervous about the surgery. I would be nervous about any surgery though., My surgery is May 14th. I've started the 2 week fasting. (I'm so jealous of those who don't have to do this), but it's going okay. I just keep reminding myself of the healthy benefits. Very likely no more insulin. And oh yeah, weight loss. :o)

I feel so lucky to have my doctor. He told me "I will do whatever it takes to get this surgery for you." The thought of getting rid of that rotten lap band is another encouragement. It's been almost 10 years of misery with that thing.

I think that if you trust your doctor, and he is reassuring you it is significant. My doc's opinion and support have been the single most encouraging thing for me. As nervous as I am, I am looking forward to life after the sleeve. I wish you the best.

I had a band for 7 and a half years... started having a lot of trouble with reflux and vomiting at about year 4 but put up with it because i was scared to have it taken out (i had lost nearly 40 kilos).... but then i started gaining weight anyway because it always had to be unfilled to try and settle the reflux.

So last year i decided to revise to a sleeve. I had the band removed in November - lucky i did too because it had slipped and 'was a mess' (the words of my surgeon that removed it). Ive been waiting since then for my stomach to heal and will be sleeved in just over 2 weeks. Ive regained a lot of weight but let me tell you - having that band out was like a huge sigh of relief!

My doc seems confident that the healing time will reduce the risks significantly, considering how mangled my stomach was, but maybe thats just his process - I see lots of people on here that do the revision in one step and have great recovery and results.

Im scared still but excited at the same time. Best of luck :)

Hi everyone! I've had my band for 3 years and I am also considering getting a sleeve. I've had horrible experiences that have led me to empty my band. Vomiting' date=' chocking, chest pain etc. for the people that have had the sleeve. Do you ever feel like your choking on your food??![/quote']

I choked and had to make myself vomit daily, since conversion I only feel bad if I eat to much

I had mine for 9 years and got the revision. I eat small amts without difficulty. Losing weight very slowly.

Hi I had my band for 14 years . I will do my revision this month on may 10.

In one surgery .i am 20 pounds from goal weight .

hello i had my band for 9 years just had a revision to sleeve on 4-16-13. I am so happy i did.

My BFF had hers for 11 yrs, converted to DS. Took 6 hrs to remove, TONS of scar tissue and other issues. She's going great now. I had my band for almost 8 yrs, no issues at all with the removal and revision.

I had mine for 10 years and got a Sleeve revision. So much better. Dr. Said it was tangled in scar tissue when he took it out. Best thing I ever did!!

Banded in March 2001

Removed Sept 2011

10.5 LONG years!