Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nope, my crystal ball is out for repairs.

Barring complications, most people spend one or two nights in the hospital depending on their health and what time of day they hit the table. Your surgeon would be able to tell you more about your particular situation.

Welcome to VST. :D

In the US, most people stay 2 days but I have heard people that left in 1 day. I think that's not the norm but maybe.

In Mexico, people stay 2 or 3 days and then they're in a hotel for 2 days. I think that is the norm.

I had mine 6 months ago. I stayed in the hospital for two days. I think anything less is unacceptable. You want to make sure all your plumbing is working properly. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Just make sure you walk to help loosen all the gas and follow directions exactly. You'll do great!

the norm is 2 days; i stayed 3 days due to a fever

It depends on where you are a d who your doctor is. In Australia 5 days (4 nights) is normal, but of you are complication free I think 3 nights would be ok. It seems normal practice in Aus to give heparin (anti clotting agent), potassium (to prevent biochemical disturbances) and IV meds (pain killers and anti-reflux drugs) for a few days. I'm really happy with that, but I get the impression this is not done in many locations. Personally I'd try to get a "slow and gentle" adjustment to your new stomach and pulled esophagus.

It depends on where you are a d who your doctor is. In Australia 5 days (4 nights) is normal' date=' but of you are complication free I think 3 nights would be ok. It seems normal practice in Aus to give heparin (anti clotting agent), potassium (to prevent biochemical disturbances) and IV meds (pain killers and anti-reflux drugs) for a few days. I'm really happy with that, but I get the impression this is not done in many locations. Personally I'd try to get a "slow and gentle" adjustment to your new stomach and pulled esophagus.[/quote']

I'm in Brisbane Australia and I've been told two days.

I had my sleeve in Adelaide six months ago, I was only in overnight. It was not too painful and I was back at work the following wk. I'm 30kgs down and still losing.

Wow! I couldn't imagine being out of hospital so quickly - just 1 or 2 nights. I must have a very cautious doctor, but he was no dearer than anyone else.

Gigi, now I'm home and 6 clear days post surgery i still couldn't imagine being in hospital only 1 or 2 nights. Your experience amazes me. Still in a bit of pain and drinking relatively little - less than a litre a day - because it takes all day to get through it with small sips, and going faster makes me feel overly full and I have to stop drinking completely for an hour or more. Feel ok but not like going back to work. I'm 52 - perhaps age makes a bit of a difference.... Although I am no "old crock", for sure. Relative to the other sleevers in my ward and operated on the same day as me, I was doing well. Very well, dare I say.

I guess this means we're all very different and the most important thing is to have a doctor responsive to our needs.

Susan, was your surgery laparoscopic or open?

Laparoscopic. And my stay was the same as the 6 others sleeved by my dr the same day.

Six surgeries in one day? That's quite an assembly line!

Hi all, I finished my surgery and came back home yesterday night

I spent one night prior the operation and two nights after

They gave me 2 weeks sick leave

I am thinking to start work half day after 3 days

Thanks god everything went ok