Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear!

While I do worry about weight gain years later, possible leaks right after surgery, the pain you experience right after surgery and the struggles post op.

My biggest concern actually has to do with the staple line. What happens 25-30 years from now? Is there is a leak risk many many years later?

I know that the sleeve hasn't been around that long and so there isn't any way to know for sure, but that is my biggest fear, that something many years later could go wrong.

With that said though, I don't think that fear will keep me from going forward and getting the gastric sleeve. I'm pretty sure I could lose the weight without the sleeve but my biggest problem that I've always had has been keeping the weight off and actually I've always gained more weight than I have started with each time I do lose weight. I want/need to stop that cycle.

I wonder about that, too. I think we're safe from it tearing open, but I wonder what happens if you have too much scar tissue? I wonder if it keeps building up through the years or if the scar tissue stops once you are healed? Could you get a stricture in your stomach because of scarring or adhesions?

But like you say, it's not enough to stop me. I'll just have to deal with whatever if/when it happens!

While it is true there has not been many years of the sleeve surgery, it is based on a surgery that was done for stomach ulcers for a very very long time. My grandfather had that surgery when he was in his 30's and lived till he was in his 80's with no complications. Obviously it was an open procedure not scopic but still the staple line was pretty much the same.

Agree with Richard. This procedure was actually used 20-30 years ago along with a piece of mesh as a first attempt at weight loss surgery and was very successful. I can only imagine that the quality if stitches and stitch line has gotten better over the years.

While it is true there has not been many years of the sleeve surgery, it is based on a surgery that was done for stomach ulcers for a very very long time. My grandfather had that surgery when he was in his 30's and lived till he was in his 80's with no complications. Obviously it was an open procedure not scopic but still the staple line was pretty much the same.

See I did not know this but now you've spiked my interest. Was the surgery that was done for stomach ulcers the same thing or very similar to the sleeve?

The stomach ulcer surgery is closer to the RNY but without the intestinal bypass. Apparently ulcer tend to happen closer to th pylorus. You can look up billroth I and ii

I worried about that also. I work for a medical device company that manufactures laparoscopic tools.

Part of my decision on a Dr. was based upon the type of staplers they use. Not all staples are created equal. Some have a higher misfire than others. I gathered the info on the various doctors I was considering and consulted with our principle engineers to help me narrow down my list.

MOST staplers are titanium and immediately anchor into the tissue. The key is to use a product that had more than one row. Most staplers make two, three is optimal. Then, a good surgeon will use a sealer and stitch around the staple line to ensure its sealed. The staples never dissolve, but scar tissue and normal healing will fuse it all together. (At least that's what I've been told by the SME 's at my work)

I've been fortunate to sit in on surgeries to see how it works and its really quite fascinating. I'm sad I can't use the product I actually hired people to build, but I'm satisfied with the decision I made. It's no lie that I also snooped around with other surgeons to ensure my choice had peer recognition...even docs in the states have him a nod.

Two would not release the info. The sanitation we all need to worry about I'd how they clean the tools. Another good question to ask. You want to hear autoclave or single use.