Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead with surgery but I am afraid of the pain afterwards. I am allergic to oral pain meds - I have been hospitalized twice in the past for severe reactions to different pain meds. The last time was spent in the burn unit because of the head to toe open blisters caused by the reaction. I have always had to endure pain after surgery with just ice and tylenol. But I have never had abdominal surgery and worry that the pain may be more extreme than what I can handle. I am going to see the surgeon in a few weeks to discuss my options. I wanted to know what everyones experience was with their post op pain - did you need a lot of pain meds?

Thanks for any info you can give me.

They gave me morphine through the IV for the first night. 2nd day I orally took some oxycodone. After that I was given a script for liquid percocet, but advised to fill it only if Tylenol wasn't doing enough for me. However, I never even had to use a Tylenol.

Everyone is very different from each other with this though!

Codiene makes me itch like crazy and morphine gives me nasty migrane strength headaches, but I have never had the reaction you are describing. All I can say is dang! Good luck, I hope you can still go through with it.

Thanks Andi. The only pain meds my doctors want me to ever have is fentanyl - and since I can't have an IV drip of that at home - I will only have tylenol once I get home. It helps to know that you didn't need days and days of pain meds once you left the hospital.

Once I left the hospital I hardly needed anything. I had liquid Tylenol with codeine, it just made me sleep a little.

The paid is not terrible. All pain meds I got in the hospital were by IV even my last dose before I went home. When I came home they gave me liquid lortab. I have not had to take it at all. I did take ambien so that does the trick for sleeping now that I am home. I am just a few days out but really nothing other than ordinary pain.

WOW your in a little jam to say the least. I am allergic to morphine kind of interesting to see what they hit me with. I think your doing the right thing talk to your Doc, ahead of time so they can figure out ahead of time what meds to use on you. Im sure they can come up with something you shouldnt have to go about it without pain meds. The surgery to me is no joke part of your stomach is being removed. I hope you figure this out. good luck to you, and I hope you comfortably recoup.

I'm allergic to Codeine and Penicillin. I had no pain at all after the surgery. What I did have was horrible horrible indigestion/gas and vomited a lot of blood for two days (from the anesthesia tube). I used no pain killers and never used the IV. I just rested a lot and walked around the floor for the first day. I was released the second day with a script which I never used.