Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long does the spasms last?

I am 4 days post op and still having spasms. Just wondering if that is normal. Also i am SO TIRED. I could sleep all nite and all day. Just wondering how long that last. Thanks so much for any input!

I was sleeved in monday and I'm still experiencing pain also. I think a lot of it is gas so going to make a point to Walk tomorrow

Are you really tired too? I am simply exhausted!!! Also how are u doing getting fluids down? Im sucking at it big time!!! Tomorrow my goal is to get a whole Powerade down!

Fluids aren't as greatbas they should be. I could do much better. I'm tired all the time too.

Are you really tired too? I am simply exhausted!!! Also how are u doing getting fluids down? Im sucking at it big time!!! Tomorrow my goal is to get a whole Powerade down!

I was sleeved on Monday and was exhausted till Thursday. Slept most of the time till then. Felt much more like myself Friday and today!

1. sleep when you feel like it. Bodies do most of their healing in Stage 4 sleep.

2. Take your pain meds on a regular schedule, as needed the first few days. Don't be a hero.

3. Get up and walk across the house, from one end to the next a few times a day.

4. On Day 3, get outside, even if only to walk to the end of the driveway and back.

5. Don't obsess about getting ALL your Fluid in daily. Sleep when you can and start over on fluid intake each time you wake up. Sip something every five minutes, as tolerated. Log your intake. I recommend MyFitnessPal App.

6. The more you move around, the more the trapped air in your abdominal cavity will be absorbed into your gut. THEN, you can "release" it. It took me about 4-5 days before I stopped noticing the gas spasms.

7. Realize that as long as you continue the pain meds, you WILL be drowsy. And, do NOT operate moving vehicles until it is TOTALLY out of your system. Part of your drowsiness could be residual anesthesia, too.

8. When in doubt, that's what WE are here for.

Hospital gave me a stack of medicine cups to sip from. They r a life saver. I still use them at 4 weeks post op. I just wash them. 1st day home I was lucky to get 36 oz Fluid down. That is minimum to prevent dehydration. Just do what u can. Take it slow. I took 3 weeks off work & needed every day. Was so tired from anesthesia, stress, pain meds, & soreness. Developed hematoma at one incision site which took 2 weeks to get better but still not gone. Made walking hurt.

My liver doesn't process toxins well, so the anesthesia is still haunting me (Day 10). Just letting it ride it's course. This, too, shall pass.

Take it slow. Rest is your friend and healer. Remember that you just had major surgery. Move at some point each day or at least sit in a chair to regain strength. Drink liquid but remember that your new tummy will not hold much. Just make it an all day sip vs. a one time gulp. ...sigh..I do miss gulping. Sorry, I digress. Be gentle with yourself....wear your favorite sleepwear or lounging around clothes....don't rush the healing process....listen to your body. Read a good book or watch an inspirational movie. This is your time to heal. It's a journey and each day gets a little better.

1. sleep when you feel like it. Bodies do most of their healing in Stage 4 sleep.

2. Take your pain meds on a regular schedule' date=' as needed the first few days. Don't be a hero.

3. Get up and walk across the house, from one end to the next a few times a day.

4. On Day 3, get outside, even if only to walk to the end of the driveway and back.

5. Don't obsess about getting ALL your Fluid in daily. Sleep when you can and start over on Fluid intake each time you wake up. Sip something every five minutes, as tolerated. Log your intake. I recommend MyFitnessPal App.

6. The more you move around, the more the trapped air in your abdominal cavity will be absorbed into your gut. THEN, you can "release" it. It took me about 4-5 days before I stopped noticing the gas spasms.

7. Realize that as long as you continue the pain meds, you WILL be drowsy. And, do NOT operate moving vehicles until it is TOTALLY out of your system. Part of your drowsiness could be residual anesthesia, too.

8. When in doubt, that's what WE are here for.[/quote']

Great advice!!! Your body just went through a major trauma. It needs a little time to heal. Feel better soon!

I had horrible spasms any time I ate or drank something, and even intermittently in between for several days post op. The turning point for me was POD 5-6. Hang in there! It does get better! I was afraid that my stomach was going to feel like that any time I ate or drank. The pain medications really did help. The spasms didn't go away but it did ease the pain when I did eat or drink anything. It took a while for me to figure that out and I got a little dehydrated in between because the pains were pretty bad even when drinking fluids. Also I think getting out and walking helped a bit. In addition, I found that if I drank out of a GLASS rather than a water bottle or whatever kind of bottle, that I did better at getting fluids in. I think I was drinking more air with the bottles. Good luck and hang in there!