Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Humble Kingwood Atascocita Huffman Cypresswood

Anybody want to do the 5 mile Bridgefest run/walk in Kingwood Feb 2?

16TH ANNUAL BRIDGE FEST 5K FUN RUN & WALK SET FOR FEB. 2ND

Saturday, January 05, 2008 @ 06:08:06 AM CST

Topic Announcements

announce.gif

1199534524.jpgKingwood Medical Center to be Event Sponsor

The Lake Houston Family YMCA announces the 16h Annual Bridge Fest 5K Fun Run and Walk will be held on Saturday, February 2, with Kingwood Medical Center once again as the Event Sponsor. Additional sponsors are The Observer Newspapers, Tejas Toyota, Kingwood Personnel, Wendy’s, Thornton Printers and Zanderman Graphics. The Lake Houston Family YMCA appreciates the generosity of these outstanding businesses as their support helps cover the cost of race expenses so that 100% of race entry fees will go to the Lake Houston Family YMCA Partners Campaign.

Last year over 2100 runners, joggers and walkers attended Bridge Fest which began as a celebration of the opening of the Lake Houston Parkway Bridge connecting the communities of Humble, Atascocita and Kingwood. The course is a fast, accurately measured USTA certified 5K, which begins at the YMCA, 2420 West Lake Houston parkway. The route travels across the Lake Houston Parkway Bridge, makes one turn, and returns back to the YMCA.

This event offers a great opportunity for families to come out and spend quality time together. The first race will begin at 8:00 am and is a ½ mile event open to ages 6 and under. Following the ½ mile race will be a 1-Mile Race for ages 7 – 10 at 8:20 am and a 1-Mile Race for ages 11 – 14 at 8:40 am. This will allow for the younger runners to race against their own age groups and compete for an award in those age groups. Following the Kids Races, the annual Family Run and Walk will begin at 9:00 am.

All Bridge Fest participates can enter the Elementary School or Middle School Challenge which is a friendly competition between schools. The elementary and middle schools with the most participants in Bridge Fest will win a trophy to display at their school, their school name on the plaque that hangs in the lobby of the YMCA and a party at their school.

Proceeds from Bridge Fest support the Partners scholarship program offered at the Lake Houston Family YMCA. Many families in the Lake Houston community have little or no ability to pay for the programs and services offered at the YMCA. Last year, Bridge Fest contributed over $35,000 of the $185,000 raised to make certain that children and families were not denied access to character enhancing programs or vital services such as the After School Child Care, Aquatics, Day Camp, Residential Camp, Youth Sports, Teen Leadership Camp and many more because of financial limitations. Families and individuals can apply for financial assistance by completing an Open Door application at the member service desk.

Bridge Fest registration is $20.00 for the 5K and $14.00 for the children’s races. There is a special fee of $49.00 for a family of four and $5.00 for each additional family member living in the same household. Registrations received after January 29 will be assessed an additional $5.00 fee. Registration forms are available at the Lake Houston Family YMCA and all Houston area YMCA’s. You may also register on-line at www.signmeup.com

New this year is a Spaghetti dinner on Friday, February 1 from 4:00 – 8:00 pm at the Lake Houston Family YMCA sponsored by Italliano’s Restuarnt and Texas Road House. The cost is $3.00 per person and proceeds will also benefit the Partners Campaign. Pick up your packets that night and load up on your carbs before our event on Saturday.

There will be a post-race awards celebration following the last race under the pavilion (in the event of inclement weather the awards celebration will be in the gym). All participants are invited for food, music and the presentation of race awards. For additional information on Bridge Fest, call Carol Sutton, Marketing Director (281) 360-2500 or e-mail carols@ymcahouston.org. The Lake Houston Family YMCA is a non-profit organization serving the communities of Huffman, Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Porter and New Caney by building strong kids, strong families and strong communities.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone.

I am now back on track. I went today to get my fill after a total unfilled on Oct. 30. To my surprice I only gained 4.5 pounds. I think I will make this my Christmas gift to myself every year. I was eating everything . From sweets to eggnog. With all the good stuff ofcourse.

I hope everyone is doing as well as I am.

When is our next dinner?

I'm not sure I can walk that far, but willing to give it a try. i have the form to fill out if you want to do the bridge fest.

Need to know if we are doing dinner on Monday. Let's see if there is enough of us to meet I suggest Hector's at 6:00. Who can make it?

Well, I signed up for BridgeFest, Barbara. I may be in the hospital and if so, won't get there, but I figure it's still worth it to work toward it. Are you signing up? If so, want to walk the Kingwood trails this weekend and see what 5 miles feels like? Anybody else?

So today was my first day "in training" for the 5K. ...Meaning that I walked and "ran" for a mile around our lake. I think my walk is faster than my run, which is not even a jog, but a shuffle. Also, I think running puts too much stress on my joints and back, so I will be a glorious power walker at the 5K. At a walk, a mile really didn't seem like anything, so I guess I wasn't pushing it. My new pedometer seems to be grossly inaccurate, so I'm not going to trust it. I guess I need to drive 5 miles and then try to walk it and see what that's like. 5K is 3.1 miles, right? BArbara, and anyone else...let's walk this weekend!

4 laps around my lake pasture is 1 mile. I did 1.5 miles today (walking at a decent clip). Pacing me the whole way were one of my Golden Retrievers, and one of my deer. Once when I slowed down, John Deer came up behind me and pushed me along. Anybody want to join me and come walk the pasture?

Not sure I can walk that far. Having major issues with my legs and one in particular. I am getting really bad cramps in my feet and calves, but on the front side. Not sure if something is going on with my fibromalgia. I'll come out next weekend and walk with you Betsy. That way I can see if I can even walk a mile!

Having issues with my fill - mainly heartburn. I'm taking it slow. Go back to stomach doctor end of month.

Hope everyone is doing well.

How is your fill otherwise? aRe you able to eat enough and not too much? That would certainly be a step in the right direction...

I used to get leg cramps when my potassium was off. Haven't heard about ones on the front though. Leave it to you to be eeeuuunnnneeeek!

I'd like you to come out sometime even if you don't run......

It's funny. After I passed my one year anniversary of being banded, I found that I was just living the life and not analyzing it too much anymore, for better or worse. My need for information, support, and everyhting else decreased a lot. Seems like to maintain a support group, you almost have to have the next "generation" of bandsters that have been banded less than a year, in order to keep it going. Does anybody else get to feeling that way?

After 19 months I need support more than ever. This to me is not a diet, but a way of life. It has challenges that I'm not always prepared for. I know I can't be trusted so I need support to keep me motivated and on the straight and narrow. I haven't lost my weight and I will soon be at my 2 year anniversary.

I'm having my colonoscopy tomorrow so today is prep. :) . Once this is over I hope I can settle back down and get serious about this. My fill is fickled. One day I can eat everything, the next I get stuck. The new acid medicine is definitely helping. However, I just don't think I tolerate the fills very well or better the restriction. I was able to get the whole 2.0 at one time with no effects. Living with 2.0 has been fairly easy with a few challenges along the way. I would like to get another .3, but it scares me. I don't like the episodes that come with that much restriction.

So for me, support is critical. My June 06 group is still going strong and I find that most of us still require support on there. The challenges change as we live longer with the band.

I'm up for dinner for those that still want to meet. Next week is impossible for me and with Valentine's day in the middle, most of the restaurants will be crowded. How about we try the week after Valentine's? I'm open to Mondays as usual, but can change that to any other day. Six works best for me, but again open to what the group wants.

I'm glad to hear that it's still important to meet. I do wonder why our group doesn't grow. We've had people contact us, but very few have ever attended.

I can probably meet any time.

I'm certainly not at goal weight, but I'm struggling....I want to buy some Spring clothes...nothing expensive but just to get me through. But I just don't know who I am. Or what age I am. I actually went into Forever 21 at the mall, and LIKED the things I put on. But I kept asking myself if only a teenager should wear them. I've always been a fairly classic dresser, but now I understand that classics age a person. I've also ysyally had my ranch clothes and then dressier outfits, and I hear that over dressing ages too. At this rate, I may end up in a babydoll and leggings! Jeez.

I have been plateued (is that a word??) for such a long time. My doctor and the nurse here at school keep telling me it is because I don't eat enough. Then on Biggest Loser last night they were talking about a couple that didn't lose weight because they weren't getting enough calories. This is certainly not something I ever thought would be a problem... Not eating ENOUGH???

Let's do try for the week after Valentine's Day. I will try to get my lapband friends here at work to come join us also.