Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been searching about WLS for a while.... All of a sudden I've heard and read of so many people that have had complications with leaks and such, that I'm having second thoughts! My mother is not helping much either, today she gave me the number to a nutritionist I used to go too and he would prescribe some pills to loose weight, which I did loose 15 pounds but stopped taken them and gained 36. Totaling 222 right about now. I know that if I go again I am probably going to loose weight BUT I also know that as soon as stop It will all be back and more, she says I nee to try harder and I am but now with the talk she gave me today I'm having second thoughts! And it bothers me because she made me scared and insecure of the decision I had already made. Has anyone else had this kind of situation and went through with the surgery with this feeling?? And does anyone know the percentage of a leak or deadly complication with the sleeve?

Thank u in advance for your responses!

Edited by muneca1029

Anything you do has complications that can occur. Doesn't mean that they are going to. You need to sit down and figure out the pros vs the cons! Don't let anyone one else, not even your mother, make a decision about YOUR body for you. You need to make decisions that you think are best for you. Have you gone to support meetings for WLS in your area? They really do help and then you can meet people in person and share their experiences with you! Most people will tell you that WLS was the best thing that they have done. pills only work if you are taking them or using them as a tool. A lot of this process is mental and you have to change how you think about food and how you use food. Just do what is best for you and only you can make that decision!

I understand your doubts and second thoughts. It took me a while to feel comfortable to schedule WLS, but I am now scheduled for May 6. I am not going to lie--I am still nervous about it and am still not 100% sure I am making the right choice, but I am the kind of person that will never feel totally certain about any major decision. I would recommend, though, that you thoroughly do your research if you haven't already and to definitely talk with people who have had WLS--this forum is of course a great source of info and personal experiences of others. My biggest fear is a major complication like a leak. I believe my research on the sleeve surgery showed there is about a 1% chance of a leak overall among all surgeons. My surgeon--who as done about 2,000 such surgeries over the last few years--told me that to date he has had no patients with leaks, and he has only had two with strictures (and those two happened at the beginning of when he started doing these surgeries...I know that of course doesn't guarantee I won't have a serious complication, but it gives me the best assurance I think I can get pre-surgery...all the best for you...believe me I know how difficult the decision is

I don't have answers for some of your questions, but I would urge you (if you and your doctor decide surgery is the best option for you) to go to a well-respected bariatric center. My center (Bassett Healthcare) has ZERO deaths, and is well below the national averages for complications.

I understand your doubts and second thoughts. It took me a while to feel comfortable to schedule WLS' date=' but I am now scheduled for May 6. I am not going to lie--I am still nervous about it and am still not 100% sure I am making the right choice, but I am the kind of person that will never feel totally certain about any major decision. I would recommend, though, that you thoroughly do your research if you haven't already and to definitely talk with people who have had WLS--this forum is of course a great source of info and personal experiences of others. My biggest fear is a major complication like a leak. I believe my research on the sleeve surgery showed there is about a 1% chance of a leak overall among all surgeons. My surgeon--who as done about 2,000 such surgeries over the last few years--told me that to date he has had no patients with leaks, and he has only had two with strictures (and those two happened at the beginning of when he started doing these surgeries...I know that of course doesn't guarantee I won't have a serious complication, but it gives me the best assurance I think I can get pre-surgery...all the best for you...believe me I know how difficult the decision is[/quote']

Thank u tigerbell!!! it gives me peace to know that someone out there knows how I'm feeling... I'm going to start going to support groups maybe that will ease my insecurities.. Where are you and your doctor located?

Edited by muneca1029

Anything you do has complications that can occur. Doesn't mean that they are going to. You need to sit down and figure out the pros vs the cons! Don't let anyone one else' date=' not even your mother, make a decision about YOUR body for you. You need to make decisions that you think are best for you. Have you gone to support meetings for WLS in your area? They really do help and then you can meet people in person and share their experiences with you! Most people will tell you that WLS was the best thing that they have done. pills only work if you are taking them or using them as a tool. A lot of this process is mental and you have to change how you think about food and how you use food. Just do what is best for you and only you can make that decision![/quote']

Hi Melissa, thank you for your words I will start going to some support groups maybe that will ease my fears. Thank u again!

Edited by muneca1029

I don't have answers for some of your questions' date=' but I would urge you (if you and your doctor decide surgery is the best option for you) to go to a well-respected bariatric center. My center (Bassett Healthcare) has ZERO deaths, and is well below the national averages for complications.[/quote']

Thank u! I will do some research on it. Hopefully is in NY.. Thank u!

Edited by muneca1029

I don't have answers for some of your questions' date=' but I would urge you (if you and your doctor decide surgery is the best option for you) to go to a well-respected bariatric center. My center (Bassett Healthcare) has ZERO deaths, and is well below the national averages for complications.[/quote']

Ok so I just checked and its in ny which is great! Do u suggest any surgeon in particular? Thank u again!

Edited by muneca1029

You may want to let your mom know that diet pills come with risks, also

You may want to let your mom know that diet pills come with risks' date=' also[/quote']

This is sooo true!