Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein shakes week 1?

So I'm only 2 days out, but I'm starving. When did everyone transition from clear to full liquids? I know a shake would take this feeling away. Thoughts?

2 days post-op

I was only on clears for the first 3 days.

It seems everyone gets different directions for their post op diet. I personally think that since it's YOUR body, and YOUR body is telling you it's hungry, then you should try a little of a shake and see if your tummy tolerates it. It's not like you're going to get that much down anyway, so go slow and see if it makes you feel better. They tell you to wait a week (or 2 days or 3 days or 2 weeks, depending on the MD) so that you go through the stages with as little side effect as possible as far as indigestion, gas, diarrhea, etc. But every person is different and as long as you're just doing a shake (meaning, you're doing a liquid, not trying to jump right into pureed foods), then go for it and see how you feel. If it makes you feel sick or anything, then wait a few more days before trying again. :)

My doctor is a bit more strict. He said I have to be on clear Protein for 10 days. Each phase will be 10 days until I get to solids. Yikes!

Im 10 days out and liquids r not agreeing with me...I have tried a few mushy foods and they work well but im craving fish. Is 10 out to soon for tilapia?

Had an Atkins shake this morning and was able to get the whole thing down! Feel so much better. When can I ad fruit to my shakes and when Dora's creamy Soups come in? I do have my guide from the doctor but I'm curious as to what everyone else is doing.

#does

Im 10 days out and liquids r not agreeing with me...I have tried a few mushy foods and they work well but im craving fish. Is 10 out to soon for tilapia?

I was doing soft foods and fish (tuna and tilapia) 2 weeks out.

Clear for the first 2 days, full for 2 weeks, puréed for 2 weeks, soft for 2 weeks then full regular diet. I would go back a step or two if I hit a stall for a couple of days or until I would start losing again.

For my hospital:

Week 1 - Clear liquids + Protein shakes. Goal was to get 64oz of Fluid & then work up to 3 Protein shakes a day

Week 2 - Full Liquids + Protein Shakes. Yogurts, low/no fat cream Soups, Kefir, pudding

Week 3 & 4 - Soft Proteins + Protein shakes. Tuna/Egg/Chicken salad, cottage cheese, white fish, scallops, ricotta cheese, ground turkey

After that we can start adding in veggies, fruit & if there's room left over starches. We were also told to avoid pork, beef, lamb & raw veggies (except lettuce & tomato) for 3 months due to there being potential tolerance issues. We should be able to be off the protein shakes by then. I'm currently on the soft protein stage though, and I don't get how I'm going to get enough protein in via diet without having the shakes. I'm only getting about 30g in from food.

I'm four days out on Clear Liquids til Tuesday and ready to cry. I'm excited but I feel regret right now because I'm hungry. I can't stand the Protein bullets... I'm trying I just can't get them in. The idea of broth makes me want to throw up. Smells of food make me gag. I can't wait til the next stage when I can eat some pudding or a glass of milk. I'm seriously ready to cry. I just hope this wasnt a mistake.

So I'm only 2 days out' date=' but I'm starving. When did everyone transition from clear to full liquids? I know a shake would take this feeling away. Thoughts?[/quote']

I started Protein shakes on day four.

I was supposed to have Protein Shakes in the hospital the day after surgery - but they gave me Glucerna ones that I couldn't tolerate...