Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using the Scale for Accountability

Whenever a headline on the web pops up about tips for losing weight, I almost always click on them. Well the other day, I read where it said to weigh yourself every day for accountability. This way if you see the scale moving in the wrong direction, you can make adjustments for it. I find that that works for me. I know there will be stalls and weight increase fluctuations, but when I see the scale move up, then it makes me pause and think over what I ate the day before and make adjustments if necessary. Usually I wait until 3-4 days to see if my weight hovers around the same few tenths, if so then I take action by increasing my calories, Fluid intake, or exercise.

Anyone else use the scale for accountability, without "freaking out" when the numbers go up?

I also weigh myself every day to make sure that the scale doesn't go the wrong way, other than the normal 1 to 2 pounds.

I'm 8 months out and until just last month I only weighed once a week, because of the freak out issue. Around I guess a month and a half I had a stall it lasted till about nine days ago. I started to weigh everyday. I had started working out really faithfully, and eating right, I knew I was doing the right things and somehow the freak out issue left. I know the closer I get to goal I will want to rely on how I feel, look more than the number so it is OK if I stall. My size is continuing to shrink and my shape is defining. I have lost 123 since August, went from a 5x to a xl top comfortably, 32w to 16/14. I'm feeling great and starting to finally "see" the changes. I really feel like weighing everyday will prepare me for maintenance. I've talked to my "skinny" friends most of them weigh everyday, most of them have a ten pound range that they allow their bodies the fluctuation that we all know we have, if they go five pounds up... They start to watch what they eat... Closer to ten really go strict on diet and up exercise until back in range... Most of them never get to ten because they are watching. Sorry for the novel... But this is a great question. I will be interested to read others comments.

My stats

SW 8/7/12 347

Cw 4/18/13 223

Yes - I weigh every morning.

I read that same article and yes, I weigh every day. Part of the reason I do is that my weight gain came from ignoring the scale. I knew I was putting on weight and didn't get on a scale for 5 years because I didn't want to see that number..... Ignorance is NOT bliss and just because you don't look doesn't mean it isn't there. I will weigh myself daily for the rest of my life whether I want to or not and I will jump into action if I see a consistent increase - will never allow myself to be obese again!

Yes I weigh daily... I do go up a few lbs when I have eaten food in a restaurant or some food with high salt content. However, I except the scale to go up a little on those days.... The scale is NO LONGER MY ENEMY! What a wonderful feeling!

Absolutely, I weigh every single day. In the past, when I ignored the scale, that is when I got fatter and fatter. I've got to be held accountable. This may not work for everyone but this is definitely for me.

Glad to hear there are others that weigh themselves on a daily basis.

During losing cycle I weighed weekly, now 15 months out , everyday ! Ok truth time ---- 2 or 3 x