Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve

Ok, good morning everyone.. This is my first post, so I am a new to all of this.... Ok, so I got the Lap Band in May of 2010, I lost approximately 60 lbs, and felt like I was so excited. The weight has just returned and I am so tired of vomitting (if you have the band you know exactly what I am talking about)... I have been approved for the Gastric Sleeve, my surgeon is Dr. David Kim out of Dallas, Texas.. My first appoint with him was on 7 December 2012 and just received my approval letter from my Insurance (Blue Cross and Blue Sheils, Federal Standard) on 15 April 2013. I am very nervous, I don't know what to expect, my Husband and family really don't want me to get the Sleeve, because its permenant and more invasive than the Band. So they are making me nervous. I have several questions and concerns. Heart burn, leaks, food, is the restrictions any different from the Lap Band, do you feel like it was a successful change in your life revising from the Band to the Sleeve. Need words of encouragement and guidance. Please help. Thanks!

I got my sleeve on 2-14-13. I was leaning towards the band till I found out it has the highest rate of failure. I went with the sleeve because I know a few friends that has gotten one. My post op diet was liquids and purée for the first two weeks. Then my Dr cut me loose on SOFT foods. I'm now 10 weeks out today and I'm down over 60 pounds. Stay away from bread if possible. I have been able to handle just about everything I've tried. You will get full really fast. Right after my surgery I could not drink more than 1 oz of Water at a time. That's been my hardest thing to deal with. Now I'm getting about 3 oz at a time. It seams to be really different than the band. I met a guy at my dr that went from the ban to the sleeve. He said he wished he'd done the sleeve first.(said it was too new at the time he got his band and didn't want to try it)

I wish I would have got the Sleeve first, but I didn't know it even existed, I just found out about it in November... Actually I just got off of the phone with the surgery scheduler, I am scheduled for surgery 28 May 2013. I am so super excited to start my journey and get this process started so I can get on with a better life. I just wonder if the side effects are different from Band to Sleeve than just directly to Sleeve.

Do a search on here...there are lots of us that went from band to sleeve one way or another. I had a band from 2008 to 2010 when it slipped and was removed. Now, I am 6 weeks out from my sleeve and it's a whole different experience. I haven't thrown up once! Not once! I can eat pretty much what I want to now, just in very small portions and the little portions actually fill me up! The sleeve is everything I wanted the band to be! Good Luck!!!

I think it started gaining popularity in 2009-2010. My wife and I both got sleeved one week apart the only negative side effects we have had were self inflicted. I came up with a ice cream flavor and blue bell put it out right after I had my surgery. I ate two scoops and it ran straight thru me and her too. One is ok but two is too much sugar.(dumping syndrome) bread swells and will put you on your knees in a snap. Wendy's chili is good to eat so I found a recipe for it on the web. Body fortress Protein Powder is really good too. They are high in Protein 34g made with skim milk. They have chocolate, strawberry and Cookies and cream. I drive a truck and only missed two week of work.

Also search you tube.

"Gastric sleeve"

Thank you so much!! Do you feel like the Sleeve was succesful?

Ok' date=' good morning everyone.. This is my first post, so I am a new to all of this.... Ok, so I got the Lap Band in May of 2010, I lost approximately 60 lbs, and felt like I was so excited. The weight has just returned and I am so tired of vomitting (if you have the band you know exactly what I am talking about)... I have been approved for the Gastric Sleeve, my surgeon is Dr. David Kim out of Dallas, Texas.. My first appoint with him was on 7 December 2012 and just received my approval letter from my Insurance (Blue Cross and Blue Sheils, Federal Standard) on 15 April 2013. I am very nervous, I don't know what to expect, my Husband and family really don't want me to get the Sleeve, because its permenant and more invasive than the Band. So they are making me nervous. I have several questions and concerns. Heart burn, leaks, food, is the restrictions any different from the Lap Band, do you feel like it was a successful change in your life revising from the Band to the Sleeve. Need words of encouragement and guidance. Please help. Thanks![/quote']

Staci27

Just do ur research. I found this site after I had my surgery on April 9th. I love this site but I also searched google and watched a lot of YouTube videos. 9 days post op for me and I haven't had any problems. Do this for yourself and don't let negative comments make u 2nd guess ur decision. Good luck.

Thank you, my Husband isn't trying to be negative I think, just worried.. He is a guy that can eat anything any not gain any weight.. it sucks.. I am doing it, I am so excited.. thank you for your words of guidance..

Hi Staci!

I had the band in Dec 2003 and lost almost 100 lbs. I went from 368 to 268. BUT I was throwing up constantly. Didn't realize it until I went back to get my fill that I was too tight. I just thought it was one of the side effects. After the removal of some of the saline I was able to eat. Of course I gained weight but I was able to eat. Slowly I began to pack on the pounds. So knowing this is just a tool I tried Weight Watchers ( 3 times) to help get back on track. I could not get over the 20 lbs hump and I couldn't eat all the points because I was restricted. I couldn't eat fresh fruit or raw veggie. I even tried diet pills. I finally started researching the sleeve about a year ago because I knew I needed help. I finally decided to contact my doctor (Dr. Stephen Hamn, Presbyterian of Plano, AWESOME DR!) for a revision consultation. The first appointment I canceled, chicken out. When I started throwing up in my sleep for no reason I knew I needed help. Long story short I kept the 2nd appointment, he told me I was a good candidate and he recommended that the sleeve would be great for me. I received my approval on April 1st, surgery is April 30th and I am EXCITED! This site has been the most rewarding for me as well as youtube. You are in the right place! Also a close friend has the revision surgery and she is doing awesome. When she had her band she was still on her high blood pressure meds, since being sleeved in Feb 2013 & 30+ lbs lighter she is off her meds! She inspired me as well as all of the others. I know for sure I am making the right choice for ME!

My hubby too was a little concerned but we talked it over first before I made any drastic decisions and now I have his support.

Good Luck with your surgery and I look forward to you post. Remember to keep in contact and let us know how you are doing!

I know I am making the right decision for me as well.... :) just nervous, he just wants me happy. So you are in Dallas. I live in Oklahoma City and having to travel to Dallas, because the doctors are so strick about everything and it would be six months to even consider the sleeve. Well I am excited for you, April 30th.. whoop whoop.. that is so exciting.. Dr. Kim seems to be so busy, so I am going with his partner Dr. Holden at Baylor University.. she did my EDG, I just consulted with Dr. Kim and I was comfortable with him. But God will be with me.. Thanks for your comments..

One thing to remember after surgery walk as much as you can to get the gas out of your stomach. You ladies will do great!!!!

Very, very true.. When I had my Lap Band, the gas was horrific.. I thought I was having something wrong with my band.. Thank you!

I was banded in 2005, just had my revision surgery two weeks ago. SO.FREAKING.GLAD to have that band out!

Best of luck to you on your journey!

I am so ready to get the band out, I have no fluids in and I still throw up at times, it's ridiculous. So super excited, 28 May can't come soon enough, Has anyone had any trouble loosing their hair?