Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been sleeved, but many complications followed.

On June18 2012 I had the sleeve done. I was released the next day and was feeling pretty good. By the 10th day post op, I was not able to keep Water down. I went to the Dr. He sent me to the ER. He called down to the ER and told them what tests he wanted ran. Needless to say, I had a leak. I was admitted into the hospital and my Dr. took me into surgery to repair the leak. I woke up in intensive care with a feeding tube. 2 days later I was told I had to go back into surgery because they discovered an abscess. On to surgery I went. I was in the hospital 39 days. I was finally discharged, feeding tubes and all and so happy to go home. I was home for one week. I still could not keep anything down. I was very dehydrated and was in the hospital for 2 more weeks. Over the next month I was in and out of the hospital for dehydration and severe pain. In August I was admitted again for dehydration, pain and nausea. The feeding tube was removed and a picc was placed. I was then put on TPN (total Protein & nutrients) feedings. Admitted again in September after my daughters wedding. This time a fistula was found. Another surgery and feeding tubes were placed again along with TPN bags. I was so depressed. I was not getting better, I got worse. I was in the hospital from Sept 13 to December 10th. In the middle of the night I had a hematoma. Throwing up blood. Caused my spleen to enlarge and become infected. Dr felt that stent was necessary. So one was pyt in. On thanksgiving morning I had to have my spleen removed. The stent slipped and had to be replaced. The 2nd stent was horrible and that had to be removed a few days later. I was in the hospital a total if 116 days from end of June to Dec 10 2012. Still unable to eat, nausea 24 hours a day feeding tubes in place. My Dr could not figure iut what to do. He called other Drs. mayo and other states. I was discharged and losing weight rapidly. In January of this year I was admitted again. Severly dehydrated and still nausea. After 27 days in hospital a 3 strnt was placed. 1week later it had to be removed. In Feb. my Dr called the Cleveland Clinic in Weston FL for a second opionion. On March 1st my husband and I made the 7 hour drive. I met with the Dr there. I was sent down for uppet gi. Funny.... they found the problems immediately. I was scheduled for surgery on the 14th. I had to have the remainder of my stomach removed, my small intestine was cut and pulled up to my esophagus and attached. Plus the inflammed scar tissue had to be removed. It had been a ling 10 month journey. I have lost 94 pounds, and 10 sizes smaller. I am still not able to eat real food. I eat mashed potatoes, yogury, smoothies, applesause, popsicles, cream of wheat. I do test the waters with some soft foods. Somethings stay some don't. Dr. said It could be 6-8 months before I can tolerate food due to all surgeries. I am also battling a stomach and urinary tract infection for the last 5 weeks. Would I do it all over again. Probably not... however... I did it because my husband has a rare cancer ( due to exposure from agent Orange from Vietnam). He lost his leg and is wheelchair bound. I truly wanted to be healthier to care for him. But he is caring for me now. Please take your time. Research, ask questions, follow your heart. Dont ever let anyone make you feel that you are bothering them. Its your life and you are paying for this procedure to be done. I can sue. I've done a lot of soul searching and even tslked to attorneys. The end result.. I want to live. I want to get better. I want to eat again. Good luck to each and everyone who decides to go forward with which ever procedure. God bless and thank you for allowing me to share my journey.

So very sorry that this happened to you. Hoping that this all in your past and you get better everyday. Cyber hugs!

On June18 2012 I had the sleeve done. I was released the next day and was feeling pretty good. By the 10th day post op' date=' I was not able to keep Water down. I went to the Dr. He sent me to the ER. He called down to the ER and told them what tests he wanted ran. Needless to say, I had a leak. I was admitted into the hospital and my Dr. took me into surgery to repair the leak. I woke up in intensive care with a feeding tube. 2 days later I was told I had to go back into surgery because they discovered an abscess. On to surgery I went. I was in the hospital 39 days. I was finally discharged, feeding tubes and all and so happy to go home. I was home for one week. I still could not keep anything down. I was very dehydrated and was in the hospital for 2 more weeks. Over the next month I was in and out of the hospital for dehydration and severe pain. In August I was admitted again for dehydration, pain and nausea. The feeding tube was removed and a picc was placed. I was then put on TPN (total Protein & nutrients) feedings. Admitted again in September after my daughters wedding. This time a fistula was found. Another surgery and feeding tubes were placed again along with TPN bags. I was so depressed. I was not getting better, I got worse. I was in the hospital from Sept 13 to December 10th. In the middle of the night I had a hematoma. Throwing up blood. Caused my spleen to enlarge and become infected. Dr felt that stent was necessary. So one was pyt in. On thanksgiving morning I had to have my spleen removed. The stent slipped and had to be replaced. The 2nd stent was horrible and that had to be removed a few days later. I was in the hospital a total if 116 days from end of June to Dec 10 2012. Still unable to eat, nausea 24 hours a day feeding tubes in place. My Dr could not figure iut what to do. He called other Drs. mayo and other states. I was discharged and losing weight rapidly. In January of this year I was admitted again. Severly dehydrated and still nausea. After 27 days in hospital a 3 strnt was placed. 1week later it had to be removed. In Feb. my Dr called the Cleveland Clinic in Weston FL for a second opionion. On March 1st my husband and I made the 7 hour drive. I met with the Dr there. I was sent down for uppet gi. Funny.... they found the problems immediately. I was scheduled for surgery on the 14th. I had to have the remainder of my stomach removed, my small intestine was cut and pulled up to my esophagus and attached. Plus the inflammed scar tissue had to be removed. It had been a ling 10 month journey. I have lost 94 pounds, and 10 sizes smaller. I am still not able to eat real food. I eat mashed potatoes, yogury, smoothies, applesause, popsicles, cream of wheat. I do test the waters with some soft foods. Somethings stay some don't. Dr. said It could be 6-8 months before I can tolerate food due to all surgeries. I am also battling a stomach and urinary tract infection for the last 5 weeks. Would I do it all over again. Probably not... however... I did it because my husband has a rare cancer ( due to exposure from agent Orange from Vietnam). He lost his leg and is wheelchair bound. I truly wanted to be healthier to care for him. But he is caring for me now. Please take your time. Research, ask questions, follow your heart. Dont ever let anyone make you feel that you are bothering them. Its your life and you are paying for this procedure to be done. I can sue. I've done a lot of soul searching and even tslked to attorneys. The end result.. I want to live. I want to get better. I want to eat again. Good luck to each and everyone who decides to go forward with which ever procedure. God bless and thank you for allowing me to share my journey.[/quote']

I am so sorry for the pain and suffering you have gone through over the last 10 months.

What an incredible journey you have had. I am so sorry that it was such a difficult one. I truly hope and pray your journey turns a corner and you can finally heal and get well. I can truly relate to wanting to get healthy and for you to have such an unhealthy turn of events is such a bummer. Again, I hope it turns around for you.

On June18 2012 I had the sleeve done. I was released the next day and was feeling pretty good. By the 10th day post op' date=' I was not able to keep Water down. I went to the Dr. He sent me to the ER. He called down to the ER and told them what tests he wanted ran. Needless to say, I had a leak. I was admitted into the hospital and my Dr. took me into surgery to repair the leak. I woke up in intensive care with a feeding tube. 2 days later I was told I had to go back into surgery because they discovered an abscess. On to surgery I went. I was in the hospital 39 days. I was finally discharged, feeding tubes and all and so happy to go home. I was home for one week. I still could not keep anything down. I was very dehydrated and was in the hospital for 2 more weeks. Over the next month I was in and out of the hospital for dehydration and severe pain. In August I was admitted again for dehydration, pain and nausea. The feeding tube was removed and a picc was placed. I was then put on TPN (total Protein & nutrients) feedings. Admitted again in September after my daughters wedding. This time a fistula was found. Another surgery and feeding tubes were placed again along with TPN bags. I was so depressed. I was not getting better, I got worse. I was in the hospital from Sept 13 to December 10th. In the middle of the night I had a hematoma. Throwing up blood. Caused my spleen to enlarge and become infected. Dr felt that stent was necessary. So one was pyt in. On thanksgiving morning I had to have my spleen removed. The stent slipped and had to be replaced. The 2nd stent was horrible and that had to be removed a few days later. I was in the hospital a total if 116 days from end of June to Dec 10 2012. Still unable to eat, nausea 24 hours a day feeding tubes in place. My Dr could not figure iut what to do. He called other Drs. mayo and other states. I was discharged and losing weight rapidly. In January of this year I was admitted again. Severly dehydrated and still nausea. After 27 days in hospital a 3 strnt was placed. 1week later it had to be removed. In Feb. my Dr called the Cleveland Clinic in Weston FL for a second opionion. On March 1st my husband and I made the 7 hour drive. I met with the Dr there. I was sent down for uppet gi. Funny.... they found the problems immediately. I was scheduled for surgery on the 14th. I had to have the remainder of my stomach removed, my small intestine was cut and pulled up to my esophagus and attached. Plus the inflammed scar tissue had to be removed. It had been a ling 10 month journey. I have lost 94 pounds, and 10 sizes smaller. I am still not able to eat real food. I eat mashed potatoes, yogury, smoothies, applesause, popsicles, cream of wheat. I do test the waters with some soft foods. Somethings stay some don't. Dr. said It could be 6-8 months before I can tolerate food due to all surgeries. I am also battling a stomach and urinary tract infection for the last 5 weeks. Would I do it all over again. Probably not... however... I did it because my husband has a rare cancer ( due to exposure from agent Orange from Vietnam). He lost his leg and is wheelchair bound. I truly wanted to be healthier to care for him. But he is caring for me now. Please take your time. Research, ask questions, follow your heart. Dont ever let anyone make you feel that you are bothering them. Its your life and you are paying for this procedure to be done. I can sue. I've done a lot of soul searching and even tslked to attorneys. The end result.. I want to live. I want to get better. I want to eat again. Good luck to each and everyone who decides to go forward with which ever procedure. God bless and thank you for allowing me to share my journey.[/quote']

Thank you Vicky, for taking the time to tell us your story. I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish you and your husband the best.

Laura

This is so sad to hear. Hope ur recovery

Is nearing the end. Thank u so much for sharing. :)

I am so sorry to hear about your complications but thank you so much for sharing your story. I wish you healing power and hopefully a future of good health.

I'm amazed at your resilience and am so glad you are here to tell your story. Can i ask what did the Cleveland Clinic Dr determine was the problem? I see they removed the rest of your stomach and you can now eat which is great. I am so sorry this happened to you and look forward to your updates. Try to stay positive. Praying for you.

Best wishes for a smooth recovery from here. I'm preop and I greatly appreciate you sharing your story. This will help me and others fully understand how serious surgery is. Thank you so much.

Was it the leak that was the beginning of all your troubles and then just not treated properly or caught in time? I'm having surgery in Mexico and will have 3 leak tests done before leaving, but I still fear having complications later.

Again, thank you very much for your insight. Stay strong for you and your husband. And take care.

Hi Zen the Dr at the Cleveland clinic found a narrowing in my esophagus plus an indentation in my stomach due to tight staple and suture line. So obviously only cure was to remove what was left of my st

Hi Zen the Dr at the Cleveland clinic found a narrowing in my esophagus plus an indentation in my stomach due to tight staple and suture line. So only cure was to remove what was left of my stomach. Thank you for asking.

Lala2012. Leaks can appear at anytime. Usually you will know if not able to keep down Water or anything. Constant nausea, chills; not really fevers, fatigue are common symptoms. My leak happened within 10 days post op. Then one led to the other. We never think these type of things happen to us... they do... good luck to you.

I am sorry tohear of all your troubles. I have has serious troubles in my past surgeries and now how fustraiting things can be. Thank god they did find your problem and were able to fix it. If I was you I would persue legal action. Give you and your husband peace of mind with the time you have lost together. As you stated you have already had it done so there is no turning back. This does gives other a snapshot of the bad in the surgery and I believe people should know both sides. This is not a game and lives are on the line. Good luck with healing in your near future and I look foward to see a post with a positive ending.

My heart goes out to you you seem to have the courage to keep fighting!!! Hope you get to feeling better.

Vicki, I appreciate you sharing your story as well! What an absolute nightmare you've faced. I hope that things continue to get better for you. Best wishes