Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please do your research

No, it doesn't vary by patient on the amount of pain when you compare a single incision to multiple incisions. Now, when you compare one person's single incision to another person's single incision the pain will vary but from the way my surgeon explained it the single incision is less invasive, obviously, and therefore the recovery time is less and the amount of pain. My surgeon said that most surgeons don't like to, don't want to, and/or can't perform the single incision because it takes more time, is more difficult and requires expertise and experience. I believe the surgeon that was quoted above stating that "there is more pain" with the single incision just didn't even want to offer the alternative. Just my opinion...

I believe the surgeon that was quoted above stating that "there is more pain" with the single incision just didn't even want to offer the alternative. Just my opinion...

I thought the surgeon who said that was doing the spider technique on the patient who shared the info? Might have been a language barrier thing though. Either way, I'm really glad that your spider technique procedure went well and that you didn't experience pain--that is wonderful. I think it's really important to learn about other people's experiences here. Thank you for sharing yours.

Let the pic speaks for itself. Pain free' date=' no complication, I have a flat belly with scars[/quote']

Way to go Nadoue. You look marvelous.

I have not had surgery yet and I forgot to ask the surgeon about the scars. How many scars are there?

Let the pic speaks for itself. Pain free, no complication, I have a flat belly with scars

See, this is exactly why I am doing the single incision technique. Darker skin just doesn't fare as well as fair skin as far as scarring (if I thought the scars would fade, I would happily skip paying $1000 more). Being that I am a low bmi and my weight is in my hips, butt and legs, I am hoping against hope that I get a belly I can show off without need for plastics. And my goodness, I can only hope I have results HALF as good as yours, Nadoue. You look awesome!

I had the single incision. My surgeon never mentioned my BMI being a factor, just that I'm under 5'8" and have a shorter torso. I had no idea there were more complications associated with the spider, but I got the idea that it was fairly new because all my doctors colleagues came by during my hospital stay to check out my incision.

I did have a lot of pain and I was thanking God it was pain in only one incision instead of several.

I am choosing the spider incision for my surgery May 11th .... I haven't had children and I'm a low BMI so (hopefully) won't have excess saggy skin. I have reactions to stitches & bandages so 1 going bad inside my belly button is preferable to 4/5 all over my stomach. My areolas look like they were seen on by a blind monkey because of the complications I had - less is more for me!

So there is still a drain with the single incision, right? You end up with two scars instead of four or five?

So there is still a drain with the single incision' date=' right? You end up with two scars instead of four or five?[/quote']

I think just the 1! The drain is in the 1 incision (I'm pretty sure) ... He said fI my liver is in the way he will have to do a 2nd small incision to hold it out of the way. I'm fine with another little one of need be.

That's interesting! Something to look into. Good luck :)

So there is still a drain with the single incision, right? You end up with two scars instead of four or five?

Just the one incision in the belly button and no drain. At least thats what my spider incision was like. My surgeon told me I was a candidate just because of my height, Im 5'4. BMI wasnt a factor in his recommendation.

I had the single incision. My surgeon never mentioned my BMI being a factor, just that I'm under 5'8" and have a shorter torso. I had no idea there were more complications associated with the spider, but I got the idea that it was fairly new because all my doctors colleagues came by during my hospital stay to check out my incision.

I did have a lot of pain and I was thanking God it was pain in only one incision instead of several.

I'm glad the spider went well for you! It is a pretty cool concept.

The only incision where I felt pain was the large one where they took out the stomach, and it was managed pretty easily with morphine on the first day and mostly liquid Tylenol after that. It was like the smaller ones were nonexistent. My scars from the laparoscopic incisions are already very faint. The worst scar is from where my drain was!

I have successfully had my single incision (with Dr. Garcia, 4/22/2013) with nary a hitch! Totally worth it, I'd say. We'll see how it heals over time.

If this was my first abdominal surgery, I would consider it, but with the wide array of scars I already have, the doc may be able to use some combo of them again anyway lol. I do think it's a cool idea, but it would be purely for vanity for me, so I'd have to weigh it against any possible increased risk.