Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went off my acid reducer just a few days ago

Its been over a month since I've been taking the ppis but I read an article saying it can lead to dependency. So I'm off them now. No reflux to report. So I think I stopped in time. Don't take your plus too long folks especially if you never had reflux to begin with. My doctor said it was OK to stop. Some docs make you do it for 3 months. That's rediculous. Unless you have severe reflux. But try aloe Vera juice instead.

Its been over a month since I've been taking the ppis but I read an article saying it can lead to dependency. So I'm off them now. No reflux to report. So I think I stopped in time. Don't take your plus too long folks especially if you never had reflux to begin with. My doctor said it was OK to stop. Some docs make you do it for 3 months. That's rediculous. Unless you have severe reflux. But try aloe Vera juice instead.

Some docs, like mine, says a full year, no exceptions! So funny how different types they all are

Wow a year? Even on the bottle it says continuing for over 2 weeks is not recommended. But I'm no doctor. The stomach produces more acid to compensate over time. I'd hate to go off them after a year, good lord.

My doc gave me a 2 months worth of it and I stopped once that time was up. I haven't had any problems with acid since stopping.

Wow a year? Even on the bottle it says continuing for over 2 weeks is not recommended. But I'm no doctor. The stomach produces more acid to compensate over time. I'd hate to go off them after a year' date=' good lord.[/quote']

I've taken then for years already... I've got barrettes esophagus and an esophageal tumor... But he still has everyone take it for that long. At my preop a lot of it was done as a group and that's when he said we had to take it for a year.

Wow a year? Even on the bottle it says continuing for over 2 weeks is not recommended. But I'm no doctor. The stomach produces more acid to compensate over time. I'd hate to go off them after a year, good lord.

This is just on the OTC product--it has to do with FDA labeling. It has to be a prescription product to use for over 2 weeks, bc there's an expectation that you will be under a dr's care if you have an issue that requires ongoing therapy with a PPI. You have mentioned on other threads that you feel hungry a lot--sometimes stomach acid can cause this. My surgeon requires all pt's to be on a PPI for 4 months following surgery and then you do step-down therapy where they try to titrate you off. It's fine if you need to stay on, but they titrate you off if you don't need it at that point.

This is the first I've heard of this. I never had reflux before but my doctor said I have to take these acid pills for at least 4 months. I was considering asking to up my dose because I feel like there is a lot of acid going on, even though I've never experienced acid before! Also, I notice I want to eat when the acid is happening. I don't think it's actual hunger, it's like I want to give the acid something to attack besides the lining if my stomach.