Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped band

Thanks for replying. And I agree that it makes much more sense to pay for a procedure that leads to better health rather than paying for continuing health problems.

Can someone answer me something? I'm wondering if my band slipped, or my pouch is dialated, or erosion or something....here's the deal..I was banded on 06/16/05....all has been basically well, until about 3 weeks ago, when I threw up violently with an illness...it hurt badly....and ever since I don't feel restricted at all...it's like my band disappeared! I don't have reflux, or stomach pain or anything....just a hungry, empty tummy! I'm having a hard time, because I've discovered I missed food...and am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what it could be? I'm scheduled for an upper GI under fleuroscopy next Wednesday...to find out if it's a dialated pouch or whatever. I'm just too curious in the meantime. There's another thing I wondered if anyone knew...if I had a hiatel hernia before surgery and they did not fix it, could it be playing a role?? anyone w/ any kind of anything helps....thanks!

Can someone answer me something? I'm wondering if my band slipped, or my pouch is dialated, or erosion or something....here's the deal..I was banded on 06/16/05....all has been basically well, until about 3 weeks ago, when I threw up violently with an illness...it hurt badly....and ever since I don't feel restricted at all...it's like my band disappeared! I don't have reflux, or stomach pain or anything....just a hungry, empty tummy! I'm having a hard time, because I've discovered I missed food...and am just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what it could be? I'm scheduled for an upper GI under fleuroscopy next Wednesday...to find out if it's a dialated pouch or whatever. I'm just too curious in the meantime. There's another thing I wondered if anyone knew...if I had a hiatel hernia before surgery and they did not fix it, could it be playing a role?? anyone w/ any kind of anything helps....thanks!

Hi Lynn,

I have no idea what is going on with you, but you are taking the first step to finding out by having the upper GI done. I have a hiatel hernia as well, and mine is managed with nexium. I wish you well and don't drive yourself crazy with worry in the meantime. You will find out exactly what is going on next Wednesday. Take Care!!!

Carlos, you claim that you are a lawyer yet you certainly don't write like a lawyer and your profile says that you are only 21 years old. If that is true, you would be in the age range of an undergraduate or are you some kind of genius? I think people here need to take your advice with a serious grain of salt. I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like you are misrepresenting yourself. Lawyer? Administrator? I dont think so.

Carlos, you claim that you are a lawyer yet you certainly don't write like a lawyer and your profile says that you are only 21 years old. If that is true, you would be in the age range of an undergraduate or are you some kind of genius? I think people here need to take your advice with a serious grain of salt. I don't mean to be rude, but I feel like you are misrepresenting yourself. Lawyer? Administrator? I dont think so.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

I'm so glad you wrote this, I was thinking the same thing. In one post he writes that he is a lawyer and then a few posts later he writes that he is the Adm. of a medical office. Perhaps he needs to figure out just what he does for a living.

At 21 I seriously doubt he is either.

I agree, I think he's full of it. Can't spell, and doesn't know what he's talking about. I wonder who he's referring here!

I would hope he isn't a lawyer...lol. Besides the spelling issue, he uses commas instead of periods in his sentences. If you can even call them sentences!! Most are just fragments....:) Unless you are a reputable doctor like Dr.C we really only do need banded ppl on here for advice and support.

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/157/160

5'8''

Can anyone explian the difference between BAND SLIPPAGE AND REPISITIONING THE BAND

i AM A LITTLE CONFUSED

REPOSITIONING COST 5200.00 SELF PAY i AM JUST WONDERING WHAT THE DIFFERENCE:scared: :eek: :P :scared: GOING IN FOR A REPOSITIONING SOON AND I AM SELF PAY

TJ

THANKS DIANE:confused:

I didn't want to seem rude and suggest the same things about Carlos but I felt the same way. The grammatical errors in his posts send up a red flag to me. So yes, I would take his advice with a grain of salt as well...

I had my band put in in Mexico in 2001 by Dr. Rumbaut for 10,800 + travel costs. Unfortunately, I now need to have it removed due to a pretty bad slip and esophagus problems. I had the choice to get a new one put in, but I don't want the worries of having problems again in the next potential 30-40 years of my expected life span. I am having the band removed in the US because my parents have insisted on paying for part of the surgery, which was very kind of them, especially since I am a 42 year old adult. They really didn't want to worry about me going to Mexico again, even though I did not have a bad experience there. However, adding on travel to the expense and stress of surgery isn't the ideal choice. My surgeon, Dr. Peter Billing in Edmonds, WA is charging me $12,000 for the removal on March 29. That covers all surgery costs and follow up appointments. I think he is probably on the expensive side, but he is really a great Dr., very genuinely cares about his patients and treats them well. My brother had gastric bypass from Dr. Billing and has dropped from 350 to 220 (he's 6'3") My bro is doing fantastic, losing the 130 lbs has boosted his self esteem and greatly improved his health. I have to admit that I am really freaking annoyed with my insurance plan for not covering a removal my doctor has told me is absolutely necessary and must be done right away. I have Regence Blue Shield Select Network plan. And to top it off, one of the other health plans my employer offers would have paid for this surgery but I can't switch to that plan until Jan 1, 2008. 9 more months of continuing damage to my stomach and esophagus is not an option. So, thanks mom and dad for helping pay for this.

My advice on picking your health care plan, if you have a choice, pick the one that covers the most options and gives you the most coverage even if it costs more in the short term. I never dreamed I would be faced with having the band removed and paying for it myself. I must have been completely in denial that it could happen to me. Seemed like a good idea at the time to pick the health care plan that cost me $200 less a year.

I just have a question...why would you think your insurance would pay to have you unbanded, if they wouldn't pay to have you banded in the first place? My insurance would cover if I have a problem, but they paid in the beginning, to have it done. The best idea is to pick a plan that will cover the surgery to begin with, and you shouldn't have a problem.....I would get it done in the US, and have insurance that pays for it. I don't get why you'd be annoyed that they won't take it out, when they wouldn't put it in....not to be rude at all.....

"Did your doc mention any of this? To your knowledge, is this accurate? I keep getting conflicting opinions.

Did your doc say *anything* about the difference between a new/repositioned band vs. an original placement?

Also, if your band has slipped, why would you have gotten a whole new band? That's an extra $2K. Or, did I misunderstand?"

--------------------------------------

My Dr didn't mention anything about repositioning the band. He looked at my Xrays and immediately went to "you need to have a new one put in". He said the one I have is too small and I would probably have problems again in the future at some point. The newer bands (2007 technology vs 2001 technology) apparently are working for people much better. He highly recommended that I would be better off with a new band but I didn't want to pay the extra and I don't want the worry anymore.

The price difference between getting a new band installed vs simply removing the old one was $10,000. Not sure why it was so much, I guess my Dr. needs a new set of Ping golf clubs.

Good question jlynn. I'm annoyed because I'm not choosing to take the band out on a whim, my doctor has said it is medically necessary to do something to fix it. I simply think insurance should kick in for things that go wrong with us. The Xray technician said I was in danger of developing very serious and permanent esophagus problems if I didn't get this taken care of right away. I would think that the insurance company would look at this type of situation and say, it will cost us less to take her band out than start paying for cancer treatments a year from now.

We could use many examples from other life situations where insurance pays even when we do something to ourselves. For example, if I got a tattoo and it got massively infected, my insurance would cover medical treatment for that, even though I chose to do something that was "cosmetic" to myself.

So yes, even though I self paid to be banded and chose to do this to myself, I still think insurance should have paid to take it out because things have gone very bad and my long term health is at risk if I try to ignore it.