Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits December Challenge

Welcome to December, April Bandits! We've made it through the November holidays and managed to keep up our exercise, now here's to December. We can do it!

We're holding steady with our challenge for the month and looking forward to stepping up the challenge in January. The December goals are as follows:

(1) Complete 17 or more exercise sessions (counting only one session per day, if you're the type to do more!);

(2) To count, each session must be at least 35 minutes in duration; and

(3) Consume at least 64 oz of Water (or whatever your personal goal for water intake is) at least 6 days a week.

We can do it! December is such a challenge in itself, but let's stay focused to meet our weight loss goals despite the extra temptations. Exercise will help us with that.

And we're off!

OK...............I'm on my way to the gym!

Julie - I saw that scale move for you!!!!!...........I'm so close to the 170's............I can taste it! My husband Alan weighs approx 175 - so that's my goal for this month............to weigh less than he does for the first time in many, many years.

I know exactly what you are saying Betty--my DH is weighing in between 205 & 210.....and I am hot on his heals at 216....I cannot wait to be below him!!! He hauled my fat butt around on the motorcycle when I was 289 pounds....so I am totally excited about dropping into the 100's and going riding!

I am very active on another thread here on LBT as well, and many of them are further along on their band journey than we are. So I ask them if they had any clues to our group fall off the wagon thing! They responded with several ideas. As they pointed out, even though we don't all clebrate the holidays, the huge influx of food in the stores, and commercials, it all hits at you whether you Celebrate the same holidays or not. They also mentioned a form of Seasonal Affective Disorder, saying that it has been shown that the chemicals in your body react differently, causing you to want to eat differently and also causing your body to metabolize everything differently. And we all know that once we begin eating the sugar or carbs again, we just want more of them...dammit anyway! And finally they said we are likely exiting the "honeymoon phase". They said our group here is the best antedote to that---keep on encouraging one another and trying to keep up the momentum. That by now most of us have lost enough weight for it to be noticeable, and we have relaxed a bit into the idea that this WILL work! And almost everyone of them mentioned that they too had hit this, somewhere between 6-9 months. So girls, we are not alone. And it makes me happier than ever that I have you for continued motivation!

Today is my granddaughters 2nd birthday so we have a full day ahead. 1st stop the Teddy Connection to choose and make a new Teddy Bear. We made one for her before she was born, and let her choose one last year...well this year, being 2...she is MUCH more opinionated, so she truly will choose this one!!! We are having a big Elmo birthday party this evening. Originally we were to have it tomorrow afternoon, but I have to attend myt Aunties funeral. She died on her birthday...she was 89 and had lived a happy life. But her diabetes went out of control about a year ago, and she had deteriorated to the point they were going to have to amputate her leg. She hated that, she was very vivacious, and very vain. Well during the surgery she had a massive stroke, and never recovered. I think she prefered it that way!

So ....we are celebrating for my granddaughter today, on her actual birthday! So I likely won't get to Curves today, but will be busy none the less. It may not count towards a work out, but I AM NOT sitting at home munching!!! Better than pre-band!!! Will get back to check on all of you soon.

Bluehill, I loved your winter soltice explanation...it is the ideal time for you and the rest of us to renuew our efforts to goal!! I am really glad you are feeling better.

Kat

Kat, Thank you for thinking about our group enough to ask your more advanced group about our struggles. That is so kind and thoughtful and I loved their thoughts about us. They're right -- if we stick together as a support group, we can lean on each other in the hard times and those who aren't struggling can pull the others toward success. We're all going to make it!

I can't believe your granddaughter is having an Elmo party for her 2nd birthday! My goddaughter had an Elmo party last year for her 2nd birthday and I made her a dress with an embroidered Elmo on the front of it. I wish I'd have known and I'd have sent it to you!

Betty, Yes, the scale finally moved this morning! Woohoo! I lose in chunks -- sometimes 3-5 lbs and sometimes even 7 or 8 lbs in a few days (then nothing for a couple of weeks), so keep your fingers crossed for me that it's a big chunk! I'm counting the days for you (and you too, Kat) to be lighter than your husband. That's SO amazing. You're going to feel so dainty!

Dainty---now at 5'9" and my weight, that is not a word I have EVER used or thought about in connection to myself. It would be to incredible for words!!!

Kat

Hi Everyone,

Julie, congrats on seeing that scale move! :clap2:

I am pumped and ready to go for this month. My initial goal was to have less than 100 pounds to lose, which I hit last Sunday. Now I am trying to decide what goal number 2 will be. I am thinking onderland will be it. That will really give me something to push for.

I probably won't get in any exercise tonight. My daughter is in chorus and they are having their Christmas concert tonight. She has her first ever solo, I am so excited. We have my parents in town, so I am sure we will be going out to dinner afterwards.

Have a great day all!

I would have liked to initiate the new challenge by exercising on the first day of December, like Betty, but alas, it was lefse-making day, which pretty much takes up the whole day. And since we can't Celebrate a proper Norwegian Christmas without lefse, that was my exercise for today! I'm not counting it, but it sure was a rigorous workout, rolling out 10 doz. tortilla-size rounds and cooking them on the griddle.

Susan, I also reached the goal last weekend of having less than 100 lbs to lose!

Kat, your post about Seasonal Affective Disorder really made sense to me and gave me a different way of looking at my constant craving for carbs.

Julie, your scale moved down again, one pound less than me!

Hi everybody!! I'm feeling much better today! I've started the Dec. challenge. Today I did 44 min. exercise on my Bow flex treadclimber. Phew.... my legs feel like rubber. I've done better with my Water intake also! 71 oz. so far, and the night is not over!!!

Roberta

Bluehill: I haven't made lefse in years!! My grandmother taught me when I was little. It is a lot of work! Just stay away from the lutefisk!

Just stay away from the lutefisk!

Yep, I used to make that too, but stopped when it became evident that I was the only person eating it!

Roberta, I'm glad you're feeling better. In fact you must be feeling a WHOLE LOT BETTER in order to tolerate 44 min. on a Bow flex treadclimber! Jeez, I really don't think I have the stamina for that. But I am getting stronger, and my flexibility has been dramatically transformed by yoga classes, so I'm not complaining.

35 min of elliptical yesterday and I'm down a pound this morning. I hope to get in a run this afternoon after I get back from the theater. Going to see Kristin Chenowith's new play -- The Apple Tree. It's so nice to go to the theater and not worry whether the seats will be too snug.

Happy Sunday all.

Julie, I so hear you about the seats! The last time I was at my daughter's middle school auditorium, the seats were so snug I was actually afraid my big behind was going to get stuck. We went to her concert Friday night and I was worried, then happily surprised when I had no problem fitting into them, and even had extra room! I think that is a huge NSV!

Bluehill, congrats on reaching the less than 100 to lose mark, doesn't it feel awesome??!!

I have definitely decided that my next goal is onederland. I would like to be there by March 1st. I have about 38 pounds to get there, so I think that is a reasonable goal.

12/1: No exercise. 72 oz. Water

12/2: 40 minutes treadmill. 72 oz. Water.< /p>

Bluehill, congrats on reaching the less than 100 to lose mark, doesn't it feel awesome??!! I have definitely decided that my next goal is onederland.

Yes indeed, it feels good to be UNDER 100 lbs to lose! And Onderland is a major goal for me too. I came up with a whole list for myself of markers or mini-goals. Including the BMI transitions from morbidly obese ==> severely obese (240, almost there!) ==> just plain old obese (210) ==> overweight (180) ==> normal weight range (150).

Another mini-goal is 100 lbs lost -- only 10 to go, and then I can "join" the 100-pounds lost club here at LapBand. Which puts me in mind of the "100-lb. Party" a friend threw for me years ago when I successfully did the original liquid-protein diet, back in the 1970s. Of course that 100 lbs eventually found its way back, with the obligatory additional 50! In fact my primary motivation in getting the lapband was to have a lifetime tool for MAINTAINING my weight once I get to goal.

Seating, yes yes yes!!! In fact I plan to become an honest woman the next time I fly on Northwest by returning the seatbelt extender that I pinched from them a few years ago. My excuse, I could not face being humiliated again by having to request one from the flight attendant. So I took it with me, and have packed it ever since in my carry-on luggage.

I also love the fact that I no longer have to worry about whether I will fit into a restaurant booth.

I'm getting a slightly late start on December exercise, but I'll be back to it bright and early -- well maybe not early -- Monday morning.

Bluehill: I love your post about the seatbelt extender. Your my kind of gal:D I'd love to see their faces when you return it. It is so good to have you back!

Susan: I remember my trip to Italy last year and how uncomfortable the bus seats were for my big old butt.

Julie: I hope you enjoyed your play this weekend.

36 mins. exercise tonight.

Roberta