Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Mini~

Count me in for the challenge as well. 20 more pounds and I am at goal!!! 10 until my PS consult!!!

Getting excited girls!!!

Will be hitting the gym hard starting at 2:00 today...I am meeting someone there so that will help!

I need a class in Lapband 101:huh2: My question is when you have food get stuck....where does it get stuck:confused: The esphagus (sp?) is the same. So the food is going down the same way as before...right? Why does it feel like you swallowed a golf ball and then burp and throw up for 20 minutes. I'm confused. It seems more natural that the food would get stuck going between the new pouch into the old stomach, but doesn't it digest in the new stomach pouch first?

It seems to me that the only thing the fills are doing is making it harder to get things down instead of suppressing my appetite.

Help!

Bella, I think the key is really learning what to eat so that you are satiated longer. I have been doing this detox diet now for a week and I have to tell you, when I eat a meal and it's not primarily Protein, I am starved in 3 hours. So I've really had to watch my intake to make sure Protein is the major part of each and every meal. Carbs just don't keep you satiated. Pasta, rice, even oatmeal, bread, veggies and fruit do not keep me satiated as long. For example this is what I ate before starting the vegan diet.

Breakfast: Scrambled egg, Turkey sausage, half of a whole wheat toast.

Snack (only if I'm hungry): half of a banana and a tsp. of Peanut Butter

Lunch: 4 oz of turkey breast, 4 oz of 2% cheese

Snack (only if I'm hungry): Apple with string cheese

Dinner: chicken or tuna salad, mixed veggies

Snack: 3/4 cup of strawberries with 15 pistachios.

It's all about making good choices, chewing very very very well after taking tiny bites.

Good Luck Dear and my advice is not to have any more fills until you've got the PB's down to a minimum.

Just my opinion.

Adork - thank you for taking us through the last challenge.

Mini - Count me in for the Halloween challenge. I am 19 lbs from onederland so I am going to put myself down for that. I haven't lost that much per week ever not even since my band but I am committed to sticking with a plan.

Count me in also for B4L. I can only echo Lifesaver on the benefits of interval workouts. It is absolutely the way to go for your metabolism. Physical fitness and rehab people are doing all the follow up research on it and all have found it the way to go. I have practiced interval workouts for about 6 months while at the same time a friend has done the traditional workout for an hour on the stationary bike. She lost weight at first but now cannot get the weight to move. I believe it's because her body has acclimated to the speed and "sameness" of her workout and won't turn lose of any more weight. She doesn't believe I know what I'm talking about so I don't mention it any more. But I will definitely be emailing you, Lifesaver, with questions. The exercise system I've used is Breakthrough Momentum Fitness but the exercise principles are the same. It is the regular practice of it where I am falling off - I have to do it for it to work, right? It will be great to have an expert in it to lead the way - Thanks, Lifesaver.

Wow is this a boring long post! Love the Byron special effects Lap!

I totally agree with the interval training! I had to kick it up a notch with my swimming -

Hi, girls, just checking in late tonight as I just don't know what else to do. My big guy made it through the second surgery (no mass was found). We did a "little" celebratory dance; however, the dr. called a half hour later to say there was pneumonia in one lung. We are currently hitting $12K for this, but I can't say just : Okay, that is more than we want to spend.

Like I said before, I know others think this is crazy, but he is my boy.

Tucker is so strong! What a brave Boy! I'm glad he's out of surgery. I will continue to pray that he recovers from the pneumonia.

Lifesaver, no wonder you are so buff! I didn't know you did bfl before. That program is not for sissies! Go girls! You and prty are going to be the fitness queens of the bandsters.

Deb, I'm glad your doggie is doing okay. You must have been so nervous during it all.

Lap, I love your fishy photo. How cool! I have an empty aquarium and have been thinking of setting it up again. Do you have saltwater or freshwater fish?

Green and Lifesaver, thanks for the tip on the designer whey. I will give that a try.

Well, my surgery is TOMORROW!:) I went to the support group meeting tonight at Dr. K's office, and it was great to meet more of his patients. I also finally got to meet Tally, who also is having her surgery tomorrow.

So, wish me luck!

Denvergirl!! I'm just thrilled for you! Please sit by me on the Bench! I can share my fresh peaches with you - once you're able to eat solids! I remember the morning of my surgery. I was so anxious, I went and filled the car with gas, washed the Highlander and went to the grocery store. I had so much energy!

Okay, this is what I have thus far for our next challenge. If I'm missing anyone, let me know. Remember, we'll start this Friday, so our first weight in won't be until NEXT Friday (Sept. 12).

Bahotmomma 17 :unsure:

BellaPerdente 25 :cool2:

Deboregon 15 :w00t:

DenverGirl 8 :tt2:

Greenchrysalis 15 :smile:

Lapdancer 20 :smile:

Lotzasunshine 20 :smile:

Minidriver 16 :smile:

PrtyAntOvrYt 28 :smile:

ShelbiCallie 22 :smile:

Sidann 19:smile:

Thanks Lady!!!

Mini~

Count me in for the challenge as well. 20 more pounds and I am at goal!!! 10 until my PS consult!!!

Getting excited girls!!!

Will be hitting the gym hard starting at 2:00 today...I am meeting someone there so that will help!

Hey Brandy-girl, where have you been? I've missed you!! Have fun at your work out!!!

Edited by PrtyAntOvrYt

This morning, I am going to the dermatologist's office. My first reward for getting to my first big goal is to have the tiny red spots on my upper lip removed.

I hope it can be done. I've had them since I was pregnant with my daughter 21 years ago. They have just gotten bigger.

Have a Beautiful Day!

Hugs Everyone!

AND Denvergirl, don't forget to come back and post when you're feeling like yourself! We will all be sending good thoughts your way! You're making a huge step in the right direction to good health. Your new birthday will be tomorrow!

dee~

YAY for DenverGirl! Good luck! I can't wait to hear about your BIG DAY tonight. I hope you feel well enough to post.

Gosh, 62 days until my DATE with Dr. K. I don't think I can wait that long!!!! :)

Thanks for all the good wishes, everybody! I will be happy to take a seat on the losers bench with you all. I taught the class this morning, came home took off my makeup, and have been puttering about for the last hour. My neighbor is going to drive me to the surgery center at 11. Can I whine that I am thirsty and hungry already? LOL!

Later gators.....I'll be back when I'm an official band member!

Good luck Denvergirl! :unsure:

BellaPerdente, the food gets stuck as it's trying to pass from the pouch into the stomach. So basically, right at the band. That's why you feel like there's a "golf ball," burp, PB, etc. If it won't go through the band, it comes back up. It sounds like you are having a hard time taking small enough bites and chewing your food enough. You might consider getting some toddler utensils -- I still use my toddler spoons and forks to help me take small bites. And again, like Dee suggests, chew 30 times (or as much as you can) and then count to 10 between bites. If I don't do this, I'm more likely to PB. I have even had liquids come right back up if I tried to gulp them too quickly.

Definitely look at what you're eating, too. Are you trying to eat too many potential problem foods? Getting in enough Protein? You will get the hang of it, it just takes time! You also have to find out which foods will be problem foods for you and which ones work OK.

Speaking of food, the food court at work added sushi back. They even make some rolls with brown rice, and also have sashimi. I don't each much rice but I don't have problems with it, so I will allow myself this treat on occasion. Lots of great protein! I will stay away from the big rolls but I can take bites of sushi rolls and do just fine (even though that gets messy) or get sashimi. Yum. :cool2:

Thanks Mini for leading the Halloween challenge! :)

I do think I don't chew enough. it seems enough to me but I guess not. I thought the purpose of eating Proteins first was so that you would feel fuller longer, but if the food immediately passes into the bigger stomach, then what keeps you full??? And what about the fills, do they make you full sooner or just make it harder to eat????

I am scheduled to get another fill on the 17th of Sept., because I don't stay full long enough. I am eating more Protein than anything and have not really had any Pasta, bread or such except for a couple of bites.

Good Luck Denver. I hope everything goes well.

BellaPerdente, the food gets stuck as it's trying to pass from the pouch into the stomach. So basically, right at the band. That's why you feel like there's a "golf ball," burp, PB, etc. If it won't go through the band, it comes back up. It sounds like you are having a hard time taking small enough bites and chewing your food enough. You might consider getting some toddler utensils -- I still use my toddler spoons and forks to help me take small bites. And again, like Dee suggests, chew 30 times (or as much as you can) and then count to 10 between bites. If I don't do this, I'm more likely to PB. I have even had liquids come right back up if I tried to gulp them too quickly.

I have a question! When food gets stuck like you just described, will it not go down easier by drinking a sip of Water? Or, will that make it more likely that you'll have a messy PB?

I have a question! When food gets stuck like you just described, will it not go down easier by drinking a sip of Water? Or, will that make it more likely that you'll have a messy PB?

We are not supposed to drink for 30-45 mins before or after a meal and that includes during a meal. Despite this I have tried a couple of times to take a sip of water to help something that was stuck go down because that's sort of your automatic response. Bad idea. I got to PB the water, then the stuck food. When something is really stuck, it is stuck and water doesn't do a thing to help. It just sits on top of the food.

I have also absentmindedly taken a sip of water after eating and had it come right back up. Apparently, when I'm full I'm too full for even liquids.

We are not supposed to drink for 30-45 mins before or after a meal and that includes during a meal. Despite this I have tried a couple of times to take a sip of Water to help something that was stuck go down because that's sort of your automatic response. Bad idea. I got to PB the water, then the stuck food. When something is really stuck, it is stuck and water doesn't do a thing to help. It just sits on top of the food.

I have also absentmindedly taken a sip of water after eating and had it come right back up. Apparently, when I'm full I'm too full for even liquids.

I'm so glad I asked! PB'ing sounds like the absolute worst thing on the planet. Not looking forward to the experience...:)

I'm so glad I asked! PB'ing sounds like the absolute worst thing on the planet. Not looking forward to the experience...:mellow:

It's not the worst thing on the planet but it sure isn't anywhere close to the best. You may be one who never has a PB...they exist! :thumbup: I wish I had been, but I am not one to learn anything the easy way!

It's not the worst thing on the planet but it sure isn't anywhere close to the best. You may be one who never has a PB...they exist! :thumbup: I wish I had been, but I am not one to learn anything the easy way!

I've never PB'd but I'm wondering if that just means that I'm not tight enough yet.

I've never PB'd but I'm wondering if that just means that I'm not tight enough yet.

Or you're just better at following the rules than I am. :thumbup: I wouldn't count a PB as a sign that you're at optimal restriction or anything like that. Ideally, you'd never have one.