Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Sorry that I haven't weighed in yet. I am a little ashamed to admit that I am sitting at 297 this week. But the fill I got yesterday should really help right?

NEVER be embarrassed at your weight fluctuations! EVER. We ALL have them. And yes, your fill should hopefully kick things up for you. It all depends though, remember we are all different. It took me 3 fills to get any type of restriction. So be patient! :thumbup:

Well, I'm back from the therapist. What an interesting man, he was. He had to have me repeat things several times which made me wonder if he was absent minded, hard of hearing or just distracted by his own thoughts. I.e. we discussed my profession, then about 10 mins later he asked, "what do you do at the hospital?"

Sometimes, I think a therapist serves as a 'sounding board' -- they allow us to vent, speak outloud and hear ourselves say things - that we're anxious about, depressed about or stressed. I believe there is value in that.

I have another appt. to see him again, but I'm not sure I'll keep it. It may not be a good fit.

However, I do feel better. I needed to talk to someone. AND even if I had to repeat myself several times, it helped... a lot.

I am so glad you are feeling a bit better. If the fit doesn't feel right, find someone else.

I had a horrible experience in college with a therapist who FELL ASLEEP on me in session. I was SEVERELY depressed and suicidal... it was horrible horrible. I am so fortunate I made it through without permanent distain for the field. It took me A LONG time to EVER trust another therapist, but eventually I found a wonderful wonderful woman who helped me immensely. I just wish I could have taken her with me in my pocket when I moved to AZ. :lol:

I thought I was the only one not feeling tight right after. I wish that I had pushed for more of a fill. I hurt when it goes down too, and I may end up eating too much soon. Last night I felt really good restriction, but tonight it's only a little better than before and I am hungry today too. And I just got mine yesterday!! I'm going to have to find a doctor in salt lake FAST!!

P.S. I had to push just to get 3.8 when I really thought 4 would be better.

I would rather end up being too loose than too tight. I felt a bit frustrated at my "small" fills as well. I got 2cc's, 2cc's and then 1cc. I did wish at the time that my follow up surgeon had been a bit more aggressive, but now in hind sight, I am glad for the extra time to adjust to the band. If I had gotten to restriction with my first fill, I am not sure I would have been able to handle it! lol. I know I would have pushed it and tested it.

I personally think 3.8cc's for a first fill is aggressive. Work with it, see how it feels, kick the tires a bit. It is always easy to go in and get some more put in. Being too tight, PB'ing, getting stuck, having problems would be no fun, and could harm the band long term. Remember... this is a journey, not a race. You will get there. You will be successful.:tongue:

Well group I got my MRI results back!

NO WONDER!!!!!!!

I have disc d...... at L4.

I have a disc bulge indenting and compressing the nerve in my spine at L5.

I have another esis of some sort at S1.

No blow-out of anything but what I have is enough to explain the pain.

Plan: Physical therapy very mild. Re-visit with my doctor for a change in medication therapy. Keep losing weight ( oh yeah) and because of the pull my stomach is having on my back ( right there) reduction of tissue. That I cannot do until next summer.

So that's the news.

Lap... so glad you finally have answers. I hope the PT helps your pain!! :)

clap.gif LABOR DAY 4 WEEK CHALLENGE clap.gif

(monday weigh-ins)

adorkable | initial 314 | wk1 307 | wk2 299

tongue.gif

Amieru | initial 249 | wk1 247| wk2 245 tongue.gif

bahotmomma | initial 146 | wk1 145 | wk2 144 tongue.gif

BellaPerdente | initial 259 | wk1 257 | wk2 256 tongue.gif

deboregon | initial 316.5 | wk1 313.1 | wk2 307.8 tongue.gif

DenverGirl |initial 239 | wk1 237 :thumbup:

GreenChrysalis | initial 244 | wk1 243 | wk2 240.5 tongue.gif

lap_dancer | initial 307 | wk1 305 :)

lifesaver | initial 178 | wk1 175 | wk2 173 tongue.gif

lotzasunshine | initial 294 | wk2 297 :lol:

minidriver | initial 204.8 | wk1 205.2 | wk2 203.3 tongue.gif

munchkin392 | initial 189 | wk1 186 | wk2 187 tongue.gif

PrtyAntOvrYt | wk1&2 -5.2 tongue.gif

ShelbiCallie | initial 189 | wk1 188 | wk2 187 tongue.gif

Sidann | initial 223 | wk1 221 | wk2 220 tongue.gif

DSCF8571.JPG

See the sweet one on the left? She is ours tomorrow!!! We cant wait to go and get her. Which name do you all like? Snickers or Oakley? She is a Morkie (Maltese Yorkie) and is going to be tiny. 7 pounds is what they are guessing. I hope so!!! Just had to share since everyone loves their doggies!

DSCF8571.JPG

See the sweet one on the left? She is ours tomorrow!!! We cant wait to go and get her. Which name do you all like? Snickers or Oakley? She is a Morkie (Maltese Yorkie) and is going to be tiny. 7 pounds is what they are guessing. I hope so!!! Just had to share since everyone loves their doggies!

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!! OMG!!!! So so so cute. A pocket sized puppy! YAY!! I'm going to vote for Snickers. She just looks like she should be named Snickers.

Umm, hello. 2 lbs. is great.

Well, we're off to our tree house for the weekend. I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend filled with weight loss success and other good stuff.

Brandy, have fun with that new baby. You could get one of those doggie purses and carry her around with you! That would be so cute!!!

Have fun Mini...I have already been looking at the bags!!!

My baby starts kindergarten today...after 14 years, I am still not ready to let go of all my kids. I figured a puppy could help!

Have fun Mini...I have already been looking at the bags!!!

My baby starts kindergarten today...after 14 years, I am still not ready to let go of all my kids. I figured a puppy could help!

Oh my goodness!!! Well, you definitely need a puppy. Little Hannah banana in kindergarten. She'll be just fine.

Hey Guys,

Dee so glad to hear the talk session helped a little. I think sometimes we need to "shop" for the right match in the counseling department. I hope you find the right therapist for you. It's kind of like dating:-) I have an idea....lets have a Red Robin night and we can all talk, talk, talk. When should we all meet???

I think that's a great idea! How does next Wednesday look? August 27th, is good for me. If not the 27th, how about Thursday the 28th?

Hi everyone:

Dee, I hope that talking to someone helps you....you deserve to be happy. Will you be seeing him again? I wish I can talk to someone about how much food controls my life. I eat with every emotion. I have come to the conclusion that I have an addictive personality and whatever I do in life...I have to be addicted. I even started smoking again. If I can't eat......

I think we all need some therapy. You deserve to be happy too. I don't think I'll see him again. I don't think it was a good match. I hope I can find another person. I do eat when I'm happy or bored. But when I'm sad and depressed, I don't eat. I also eat when I'm angry and stuffing that anger! I tend to not be an angry person.

Once you get a fill, you have to be careful not to overeat because that is who you can stretch your pouch, which causes other problems. It's better to eat more frequently rather than larger portions with each meal.

I'm sad to hear you started smoking again. See if you can get some help with that. I haven't ever smoked, but my father did and I know it's a tremendous addiction. Not an easy thing to give up. Take care of yourself Bella! You're on a journey to better health. Okay?

Fit is precisely the right word. I've gone through five therapists, you either outgrow them or fail to bond. Trust is a huge element and if you feel like somebody needs their Ritalin before they go any further then move on to the next one.

You're so right Lap. If the fit isn't right, it's just a waste of time. I'm too ready to work on my issues to be left with someone, I don't fit with! You hit it right on the head when you said, "fail to bond" -- we failed to bond! That and the fact that he seemed distracted, didn't help!

I'm glad they figured your back stuff out. I hope you can get some relief with PT and the changed meds. My heart goes out to you. I'm sorry you're having so much pain and suffering. You're such a strong and sweet woman - I hate to think you're having a hard time.

Iam so glad you are feeling a bit better. If the fit doesn't feel right, find someone else.

I had a horrible experience in college with a therapist who FELL ASLEEP on me in session. I was SEVERELY depressed and suicidal... it was horrible horrible. I am so fortunate I made it through without permanent distain for the field. It took me A LONG time to EVER trust another therapist, but eventually I found a wonderful wonderful woman who helped me immensely. I just wish I could have taken her with me in my pocket when I moved to AZ. :smile2:

I would rather end up being too loose than too tight. I felt a bit frustrated at my "small" fills as well. I got 2cc's, 2cc's and then 1cc. I did wish at the time that my follow up surgeon had been a bit more aggressive, but now in hind sight, I am glad for the extra time to adjust to the band. If I had gotten to restriction with my first fill, I am not sure I would have been able to handle it! lol. I know I would have pushed it and tested it.

I personally think 3.8cc's for a first fill is aggressive. Work with it, see how it feels, kick the tires a bit. It is always easy to go in and get some more put in. Being too tight, PB'ing, getting stuck, having problems would be no fun, and could harm the band long term. Remember... this is a journey, not a race. You will get there. You will be successful.:wub:

you are right about the therapist! Oh my goodness! I would be so devastated if a therapist fell asleep on me! You poor girl! That's just horrible! I would have cried and cried! :cheers2:

Your puppy is absolutely adorable! I think Snickers is a good name too! Her little face is so cute, I just feel like snuggling her! Tell Hannah Banana to have a wonderful first day! She's so sweet, her teachers are going to just love her!

Well, we're off to our tree house for the weekend. I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL weekend filled with weight loss success and other good stuff.

Have a wonderful time at your tree house! Can I come sometime? I finally hit 100 and passed it by .4 lbs! I was shocked this morning! I haven't been eating more than 400 cals a day. It was hard to eat with this huge lump in my throat! But I guess, it helped get me to that milestone!
Dee-I am glad you went to the therapist, but I do question if he is the right fit. I know for me personally, that would annoy the hell out of me if he asked me the same things over and over that we already talked about. I have been to several different therapists, some good, some bad. The therapist we went to for marriage counseling was just a joke. I actually had to physically restrain myself from laughing hysterically in her office one day! She was cuckoo!! I go back to my old shrink tomorrow-he is the one that was on call during the whole husband incident (signed himself off due to conflict of interest) and apparently he is worried about my mental health after all this. I am actually doing pretty well, even though I have been off antidepressants since February. But I will see what he has to say at any rate. Maybe I am in denial.

Lifesaver & Mini-I am so glad you gals don't think I have lost my mind for wanting to work at Starbucks. The Starbucks people DO seem happy!

I was hoping you were doing okay with all of that mess too! Being off your meds and still maintaining is good! I would work at Starbuck's too!! I love the smell in the shop!! I have often thought of getting a part time job at a Flower shop. I love flower designing. I'd love to do cake decorating too, but I'd be too tempted to eat the cake!!

I thought I was the only one not feeling tight right after. I wish that I had pushed for more of a fill. I hurt when it goes down too, and I may end up eating too much soon. Last night I felt really good restriction, but tonight it's only a little better than before and I am hungry today too. And I just got mine yesterday!! I'm going to have to find a doctor in salt lake FAST!!

P.S. I had to push just to get 3.8 when I really thought 4 would be better.

I tend to agree with Dorkable, a loose fill is actually a safer and much better fill than a too tight fill. It's not easy to be too tight and then not be able to eat healthy foods. Getting an unfill can sometimes cause problems. It's hard to get you back where you were before and sometimes, for whatever reason it takes longer to get restriction once you've been filled and then unfilled. I don't have personal experience, with this, but I have several friends who have. Being too tight can cause erosions or slips from vomiting. This is a journey and along the way, we're learning about ourselves and our habits. We are growing on the inside and becoming stronger people. The Lapband is a tool, it's the most work of all the WLS. There are others that will get you to goal in a faster time, but they aren't always the safest.

Just my 2 cents Lotza. I hope it's okay, I shared my opinion with you.

Lap ~ Ugh, back stuff is just nasty. I'm glad you got it figured out, though, and I hope that you get some relief from the pain soon!

Dee ~ I hope the talking helped even if the therapist isn't a good fit. I quit going to a therapist once because she couldn't remember important things about me. I'm not sure why she was taking notes if she wasn't going to refer back to them!

Brandymom ~ OMG, such an adorable puppy! I vote for Snickers as a name also. It's just so cute and cheerful, like I'm sure she will be.

Bella ~ I hope you can get some help with your emotional eating. The band can't do anything about what's going on in your head, and if you're turning back to smoking to substitute for food, that's a bad sign. Please do take care of yourself!

Me? Well, I'm miserable because my husband gave me his cold. Snot city, sore throat, sneezing, coughing, can't taste anything...you know the drill. Of course I'm still slogging ahead, because as we all know, women are stoic about such things in comparison to men. :smile2:

Edited by GreenChrysalis

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement all. Heartfelt words are greatly appreciated.

I decided to stick with the Extra Strength liquid Tylenol. It works better than what the doc gave me so why change? Yup.

Started doing my exercise program today. CARDIO IT AIN'T! It is called

"Core strength training".

For the benefit of all, here is some from Lap-Band For Life by Ariel Ortiz Lagardere, MD:

Chapter Nine.

1. Eat only three small meals a day.

2. Eat solid foods, slowly, and chew thoroughly (approximately 15 to 20 times a bite)

3. Stop eating as soon as you feel full.

4. Do not wash down your solids with liquids.< /p>

5. Do not eat between meals.

6. Eat only quality foods.

7. Avoid fibrous foods.

8. Drink enough fluids during the day.

9. Drink only low-calorie liquids.

10. Exercise at least thirty minutes a day.

Edited by Lap_dancer

MORE:

Eat solid foods, slowly and chew throughly. Many patients have a diffucult time with solids during the morning hours. If this is the case for you, open up your band by starting with a couple of glasses of liquids before your first meal. Eat solid foods slowly and chew throughly. The band was designed to restrict solids. A normal meal for anybody is typically composed of mostly solids. This means we want you to enjoy what you eat. A properly adjusted band will permit you to eat only a third of the volume of food you were use to eating.

The brain takes 20 minutes to detect that your stomach is full. Since your new stomach is now your upper pouch, this smaller space is filled by less food. Eating slowly will permit you to fill it to an acceptable level without overdoing it. It will also permit you to enjoy your food thoroughly with less quantity, more quality.

Chewing thoroughly will permit you to eat adequate amounts of food. If you gobble and neglect to chew your food thoroughly, pieces of food will not go through the stoma and will clog the pouch. ( Think of a pebble clogging the hole in an hourglass, preventing the sand from falling.) You will soon learn that chewing thoroughly is very important. When an excessively large piece of food clogs the stoma, then your body reacts in a way that feels quite unpleasant. It will create a good deal of viscous saliva (many call this thick solution "slime"). You will feel like you ate a baseball, and you may become slightly nauseous. The nauseous feeling and pain will increase, and most banded people find they have to vomit, but not the violent vomit common before surgery. It will be a pinkish goo that is regurgiated. This condition is popularly referred by Lap-Band patients as "PBing" or "Productive Burping" though this is not a burp. Following one of these episodes, it will be a while before you feel like eating again.

Edited by Lap_dancer