Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your comments and following your journey with Dr. K.

I am just starting to research Drs. I have been considering having the surgery for about a year and I think I am ready. I just heard about Dr. K. and am wondering why you all chose him. I am also looking at Dr. Ortiz.< /p>

How long does it usually take from your first phone call to your actual surgery date? I am very anxious to get it done.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl:

I can take you to where I am at right now. I started researching the surgery last fall. I anticipated having it done in my hometown, had all the pre-surgical tests that the surgeon required, lab work, xray of stomach, stress test, sleep study. My insurance denied. While I worked the appeals process I started working on plan B. I checked out Dr. Ortiz as he was highly recommended here and price was right. I phoned and spoke to Lori. Lori sent an email with a tight bit of information. She was very friendly and put me at ease. I actually did consider going to him because of his reputation ( over 4000 Lap Bands done ). Had his Cancun office been open, I would probably have gone there but due to hurricanes it is presently not being utilized, his clinic in Tiajuana is. I'm sure the clinic is wonderful and have heard great things from people here. For ME, I was just not comfortable with crossing the border into Mexico via another driver and then going to this clinic. Tiajuana is not a safe town and my sister (a flight attendent) flies into San Diego alot. They advise the airline employees to "do not go to Tiajuana" period. My husband also was concerned that should I have problems, he is a Mexican doctor and I am an American. This didn't bother me as much as it did my husband. He was fearful that I had no recourse in the event something went wrong.

Dr. Kirshenbaum is spoken so highly of on here and as you can read, many folks who are banded seem to love him and his office staff. I called his office, I spoke to Marilyn and she guided me through initial info. Brief phone intake of information, she offered the name of a financial company that they are not affiliated with but many patience have been happy with the results. I have a phone consulation with him and from there we decide surgical dates and so forth. She advised me I would probably need to get my BMI down. I am BMI 61 right now. (not good) I have started drinking Protein Drinks and eating a high Protein dinner.< /p>

His office is actually in Aurora, Colorado. The surgical center is about 20 minutes away in Parker, Colorado. The surgical center doesn't have a website but it seems like what it is...a surgical center. I found it referenced when I Googled it.

So that is where I am at. Hope that helps.

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading your comments and following your journey with Dr. K.

I am just starting to research Drs. I have been considering having the surgery for about a year and I think I am ready. I just heard about Dr. K. and am wondering why you all chose him. I am also looking at Dr. Ortiz.< /p>

How long does it usually take from your first phone call to your actual surgery date? I am very anxious to get it done.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I am very similar to LapDancer, except when I called Dr. K.'s office, I already had a date in mind for my surgery. When I called the end of January, it was about a 3 week wait for surgery with Dr. K. I had also been researching the procedure for quite a while. When I realized that my insurance would not cover it, I started looking for places cheaper then the 16-18K price tag here in my area. The other thing about not having insurance cover it, is that you don't have to go through all the "hoops" such as a psych. eval., sleep tests and the like, which makes the wait time shorter as well. I had my consultation with the nutritionist and the doctor over the phone. Dr. K. requires a pre-op vist the day before surgery and a post-op visit the day after surgery. So,everything can be done in one trip. You can make your own choice whether you go back to him for fills or not. Airline tickets are only $125 round trip for me, so, I will probably go back at least twice for fills.

I did not even consider going to Mexico for surgery, but the price at Dr. K.'s office is comparable to the prices in Mexico.

I hope this helps you.

His office is actually in Aurora, Colorado. The surgical center is about 20 minutes away in Parker, Colorado. The surgical center doesn't have a website but it seems like what it is...a surgical center. I found it referenced when I Googled it.

Dr. K may have made some changes since I was there but I just want to mention that on 1/17/07, when I was banded by Dr. K, the surgical center was just across the street from his Aurora offices. So, like I say, he may have made some changes, but that was my experience.

Yes, the surgical center is across the street from The complex where Dr. Ks office is, as is a major hospital so if something goes wrong, you're right there if you need urgent medical care the surgical center can't handle.

I chose Dr. K for a few reasons 1) Price...he charges the same as what it'd cost to go to Mexico, but :) I was able to stay in the US and stay w/my sister for recovery as she lives only 1/2 hr. from Dr.Ks office and c) Didn't have to jump through a ton of hoops. Did the nutritional consult, met w/Dr. K and was ready to go. As I had done over a years worth of researching, I knew what to expect and everything went so smoothly! I have been back now for 2 fills and my 2nd one was just a week ago, but I think I got to my sweet spot!! So I am one happy camper!! If it stays like this and I don't need another fill for a few months, I'll probably go back to CO for my next one.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am very nervous and am finding it hard to decide on a Dr. I really hate that it has to come down to money, but doesnt everything?!

How often and how many times does a person have to get a fill? Is this something that goes on every few months forever?

Other than the cost of the hotel and flight, are there any surgery related expenses that are not included in Dr. K's cost?

Cheryl S.

No, Dr. K covers everything in his price, including 3 months of follow up and fills!! AFter the 3 mos, fills are $15.

As for how often you have to get a fill....it varys from person to person. Some people need one a month, other people don't need any or only one or two every couple of months! It just depends on how your body reacts to your fills.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am very nervous and am finding it hard to decide on a Dr. I really hate that it has to come down to money, but doesnt everything?!

How often and how many times does a person have to get a fill? Is this something that goes on every few months forever?

Other than the cost of the hotel and flight, are there any surgery related expenses that are not included in Dr. K's cost?

Cheryl S.

The thing about Dr. K is that it does not just come down to money. He is an extremely experienced laparoscopic surgeon. He's only done about 75 or 80 bands at this time, but when I was there he described to me some of the other surgeries he does laparoscopically, and they are much more challenging than the lap band. He has pioneered certain types of laparoscopic surgeries and taught his techniques to hundreds of other surgeons. So, you are not sacrificing quality for price in this case, in my opinion.

Other costs include the supplies you will need: Various types of prescription and over-the-counter drugs and pharmacy supplies (find some good lists in the stickies in the pre-op/post-op section), new kinds of food, Protein Shakes and powders, etc.

And another issue that cannot be ignored is, there is a small chance of some significant additional expenses if you have complications. This is always true with a self-payer, and it is true here. The risks are small, but it can happen.

And then after that there are fills. If you go back to Dr. K for fills they are practically free ($15), but if you get fills locally they can be $200 or $300 each, or more. Some people need 6 or 8 or more fills before they feel proper restriction. It is more likely that you will need between 1 and 4, but 6 or 8 is possible.

But on the other hand, you should balance all of this with the other side. You may save a lot of money on groceries after a while because you will eat a lot less. I know that I am saving quite a bit on that. And you will almost certainly save many thousands of dollars over the next 5 or 10 years on medical costs for things you won't have to do: hip and knee replacements, diabetes care, high blood pressure, depression from being obese, etc., etc.

VERY WELL PUT MARK!!! I agree w/all of that!!

Not to mention Dr. K is a very caring doctor and really just wants what's best for you...He's a GREAT guy in addition to being an experienced Dr!

Thanks Mark! I am going to give Dr. K a call today and see if I can get started.

Cheryl

Best of luck to you Cheryl.

To add, I did a background search on Dr. K and learned he worked with The National Institutes of Health (NIH) and has done over 10,000 Laproscopic surgeries. He also has a few "firsts" that he can take credit for.

Hi All!

I agree with Kristin and Mark. Dr. K is great. And, as Dr. K said to me, "You are getting a deluxe service here, Sheila." There was nothing low rate about any of the experience but the price.I would do it all again in a second. I am glad I chose him.

And you will almost certainly save many thousands of dollars over the next 5 or 10 years on medical costs for things you won't have to do: hip and knee replacements, diabetes care, high blood pressure, depression from being obese, etc., etc.

:clap2: Excellent thoughts.

Hi All!

I agree with Kristin and Mark. Dr. K is great. And, as Dr. K said to me, "You are getting a deluxe service here, Sheila." There was nothing low rate about any of the experience but the price.I would do it all again in a second. I am glad I chose him.

This just reinforces my own decision. Thanks for sharing it.

What is funny to me is that I live in Colorado Springs which is about an hour from Denver/Aurora and I had no idea there was a lap band suregon that close to me. I did a search on doctors and found another doctor in Denver that does the surgery but would not see me because I did not meet their requirements. I scheduled a surgery date with Dr Ortiz in Mexico for April 2. I have been so looking forward to that date and then I was reading a post and heard about this Dr in Denver who does not charge that much more then in Mexico... clicked on link, and it was Dr. K so I called and he will see me and do the consult and sees no reason why he can't do the surgery on me! yippee! My problem with the other doctor was that my BMI was high enough at 35 but I had no other factors. Anyway I have a consult on 20 March which still gives me enough time to either go through with the surgery in Mexico or get a little more money together and have surgery here in my own "neck of the woods" where the fills are practically free!! :clap2:

Hi, I just got home from Denver and was banded on 2/28, I traveled from North East WI. so we have had quite a long day traveling with delays in Chicago. I wish I lived near Dr. Kirshenbaum so that I would be able to follow up with him forever! I will try to make it back there as often as possible, the whole experiance was top notch. Dr. K was wonderful and his staff and everyone at the surgical center across the street were just great:) I think that anyone that lives near him shouldn't even think of anyone else. Right now he is getting busy with everyone traveling from far to get this surgery, you have a gold mine there and no reason to travel. I just can't say enough good, I am so glad that my surgery ended up with Dr. K, because I couldn't come up with the $17,700 that they wanted here in WI. Anyhow I am rambling now, I'm just really tired, talk to you later. Sunnysea :clap2: