Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Gerald Kirshenbaum - Considering Dr. Kirshenbaum

Hey Bandaids. Reading your words tonight is a soothe for me. So much going on with me.

First I think it is a great thing to go visit our compadres who are getting banded if we are in that neck of the woods. Next time I am out there, if the opportunity arises, I will copy what Mal and John, what some of the others have done. What a fantastic means of support.

Shebie girl, be a vixen and kick your butt for the pizza and Klondikes. Doesn't take much does it. Man, I always say we are sometimes only a bite or two away from a relapse into food Hell.

My daughter is in the hospital in Texas with a kidney infection. She waited too long to go to the doctor and so now she is in there for several days. The baby is fine. I'm watching things closely and seeing if I need to I need to head west sooner than July.

Had a VERY nice dinner at my mother's house tonight. My sister was there. For those of you who know and for those who don't I haven't been speaking to my sister since last August after she flamed me for something I posted to my OA support group referencing a food challenge and emotional upset I was experiencing related to her visit and my own visit to my mom's house at the time.

Overeaters Anonymous has given me a really strong voice and a way to protect myself from having a food binge. I protect it at all costs including cutting out members of my family from my life. This is the first time we have sat down at a dinner together in close to a year. It was a good time, a great memory and my son was there enjoying what he loves so much...family and sitting around the table at dinner sharing stories. That was what we had.

So I don't know what the future holds for me and my sister. I know that she is toxic and since I am not willing to take any crap from anyone, protect what I know to be my raw emotions that I ATE over in the past but am dealing with now, at any cost including....cutting people out of my life who are harmful.

Another event, my niece, my sister's oldest daughter, moved here to Florida for so many reasons. She lives about thirty minutes from me. We mostly text eachother and sometimes talk. She has shared some raw stuff with me. Well, she is pregnant. My sister doesn't know and neither does my mother. Hell if I will say one inch of a sentence to either one but I know one of her greatest FEARS...get this...greatest FEARS..was telling her mother, my sister. It makes me so aware of the pain we can cause our children that they would be fearful to be honest with us. Lesson learned.

You all are such a great inspiration..daily.

Wishing you all a GRAND week. To the educators out there ...hey hey hey... my last day of school is tomorrow!! WOO HOO. Happy Summer Vacation to the other APPLES on here.

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi guys. Does Dr Kishembaum have a preop diet ? What does it entail. Thanks.

My goodness, Lap. You certainly do have a great deal happening. How wonderful that your dinner with your sister was pleasant. Dealing with toxic family members is a tough, tough thing to do. Sorry about your daughter, but I'm glad to hear the grandbaby is okay. It won't be long now!

Bikini- there is a preop diet (I start it next week) and it doesn't sound too tough. No Pasta, bread, rice, etc. Lots of Protein and green veggies. Sounds like the Atkins induction or south beach phase 1. I don't think it will be too bad. I'm much more worried about the few weeks after surgery. I remember after my first c-section I was on Clear Liquids for 5 days and was desperate for food by day 2. It was dreadful.

BikiniBeachy - Talking with Paula, the nutritionist, will help.

Pre-op diet reminds me of a cleansing diet. Avoid fried foods, overprocessed meats or food products high in "shelf life contents" (my words).

Stick to the natural...dark leafy greens (Arugala is my favorite), low fat everything, no skin on your meat, grilled is prefered, baked (turkey) is good.

Think...low to no fat, if it grows in the ground and produces an edible for human consumption and isn't starchy, it should be good.

Try replacing a meal, mine was my on-the-run meal, with a high Protein Shake or Liquid Protein fruity item.

Start practicing Portion Control and habits like chewing your food very long until you feel the texture is mushy mushy. Slow down at mealtime.

Reduce your drinking at meals. I say that because I thought all people drank a 32 oz. liter of something with their meals...almost 32 oz., so not drinking with my meal was really difficult. I've overcome it though with loads of practice!!

Best of luck to you and as always, you can find meal tips on this website.

Patty

LA~ I am feeling lazy this morning...

Schedule your fill and DON'T GIVE UP!!! You have come so far, "just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming, swimming" A little Nemo mantra for you!

Hi Everyone!

Good Morning!

Wow, Lap, bless you! You have a lot going on in your life right now. What is Clara's gestation now? 33weeks? It's a good thing your daughter is getting the care she needs now. Kidney infections can often kick Moms into premature labor, so I'm glad that didn't happen. I'm glad you had a nice dinner with your sister. My family can be toxic too. I know that they are going to act the way they always do, I have to react differently. I know exactly what you mean about not being willing to take other's crap anymore. I have been long suffering my entire life. And that's not always a bad thing, but it is when we allow others to abuse us. I know, I have to learn to step up and take care of myself for once. We are shedding the armour of our bigger outer bodies, we need to make our souls stronger too.

Adorkable! I know what you mean about being frustrated at times. It's not my portions that are out of control, but the choices I make. We ate out a lot this last weekend. AND I do fear overeating so much that I do not do that, but I am not always good about choosing the healthier options when we eat out. I'm getting another fill next week. I weigh myself everyday too, Dear. I need to for myself. I went 20 years without weighing myself and I ended up gaining consistently without realizing it. I know that makes me sound like an idiot, but once you pass a certain weight -- you can continually get bigger without having to get bigger sized clothing. Those ugly elastic waisted pants just keep stretching.

I thought the Pre-op diet was totally doable! I lost 13 lbs and didn't feel hungry at all. I do it when I need to get back on track.

As you start your journey Newbies, you'll learn that you have to make your own eating plans. What works for me or someone else may not work for you. But there are some Bander Rules that can't be ignored. These are the ones I feel are most vital to follow:

1. Eating your Protein first at every meal. (getting 60-80grams per day)

2. Eating when you're hungry and not when you're not hungry. (just because it's noon, doesn't mean you have to eat lunch)

3. NOT drinking with your meals and waiting 30-60 mins after your last bite.

4. Taking a Multivitamin.

5. Eating three meals a day, including Breakfast -- which needs to be eaten or drank (some can't eat that early in the morning, they are tighter, so they drink a Protein drink) within an hour of waking.

6. Taking smaller bites and chewing at least 30 times, putting your fork down and waiting 9 seconds before your next bite.

7. Move your body in some way every day.

8. Drink 64oz of Water daily.

9. Do not take any meds in whole form - crush your pills.

Some things I do personally are:

Something I forgot to mention is that I measure my food out in a 1 cup serving. I learned early on, IF I don't, then I want to everything esp. when it tastes really good. Sometimes, I can't eat a cup full, but I try hard to not eat more than that.

Eating balanced meals, Proteins, Veggies, Good Carbs - i.e. whole grains, steel cut oats - whole grain Pasta and brown rice

Eat fruit and walnuts everyday

Stop eating 3 hours before bedtime

Take my 1000mg of Calcium chewables through out the day

I need to remember for myself, this is not a race - it's a new lifestyle and something I will have to do the rest of my life. I need to find a way to live with my band, to make food my friend and to co-exist with food in my everyday life.

Hey Vet Banders -- any good ideas of your own that you can share with the others?

Edited by Tied2BFit
stuff in red.

OH Lap...my heart is with you. I know how difficult family can be, thankfully my family is WONDERFUL, but my in-laws are another issue. My SIL will not even look at me since I have lost weight and ther creepy thing is that her husband looks at me more. One word. EEWWW!

I am so glad that your DD is fine as is the baby! It always is a little scary come the end!

As always Dee, great advice!!! I am super excited about tomorrow!

Good morning!

Well, lets see...my Buster is sick and my heart aches every time I look at him. He was exposed to kennel cough about a week ago but the vet thinks it is bronchitis(?). I was up with him all night. He won't eat, drink and I have to force his meds. I run my vaporizer for him all night and day. I just want him better. That being said, I haven't excercised, no long walks/runs and no gym (I guess I'll try the wii fit again today) I won't leave him, no one will take care of him like I will.

Depending on how he is doing tomorrow, I will or will not make it to RR.

Good morning!

Well, lets see...my Buster is sick and my heart aches every time I look at him. He was exposed to kennel cough about a week ago but the vet thinks it is bronchitis(?). I was up with him all night. He won't eat, drink and I have to force his meds. I run my vaporizer for him all night and day. I just want him better. That being said, I haven't excercised, no long walks/runs and no gym (I guess I'll try the wii fit again today) I won't leave him, no one will take care of him like I will.

Depending on how he is doing tomorrow, I will or will not make it to RR.

Poor Buster!

That's horrible! I hope he gets well soon Mal!

I know he's just one of your kidlings and you love him with all your heart!

I'll say a prayer for Buster.

Let us know how he's doing.

Mal -- So sorry to hear abt Buster, hope he is doing better soon. It won't be the same without you tomorrow, I hope you make it.

Dee -- Great advice, some of it I needed to hear again so that I can change up what I have been doing. I lost abt 1 lb last week, but the scale is up today (TOM is visiting me). So hopefully by Saturday I will be back down. I have been working out 45 minutes of cardio 45 of weight training, so maybe that will help as well.

Bookholder -- Are you going tomorrow night? If so I will bring the 'bug' with me.

Yesterday was My Mom's 1 yr anniversary and I did okay. It was hard but I got through it.

Rachael had a volleyball camp last night and we saw some of the moms of girls she played with, they were all so shocked by how much weight I have lost. I must admit it felt good not to be the "fat mom" anymore. I know that sounds just aweful and I could not have done it without my band and you all. It is amazing how much confidence I have now. I feel better about myself and feel better health wise too. I am off to get a pedicure and a manicure so I will ck ya all out later. Have a great day my friends.:thumbup:

Bandito Goal ----1st week--2nd week

Dee = 20lbs +4.6lbs-7.0lbs:thumbup:

Bookholder = 15lbs+0.0+0.0:thumbup:

Brandy = 25lbs-4.5-5.7lbs:thumbup:

Woofay = 15lbs+4.0lbs-4.0lbs:thumbup:

Mal = 15lbs +0.0-2.8lbs:thumbup:

LA = 23lbs+1.0lb-1.0lb:thumbup:

Marcy = 15lbs+0.0-5.0lbs:thumbup:

Lapdancer = 20lbs +4.0lbs-5.4lbs:thumbup:

Shelbi = 20lbs -2.6+2.0:thumbup:

Amieru = 20lbs-2lbs-5.0lbs:thumbup:

Sidann = 20lbs-4.5lbs+1.5lbs:thumbup:

Lifesaver = 20lbs-1.0lb-1.5lbs:thumbup:

John T = 15lbs-2.0lbs+0.0lbs:thumbup:

bahotmamma = 20 lbs -1.5lbs-1.0lbs:thumbup:

Week One Losses 18.1lbs (6.8%)

Week Two Losses 24.8lbs (10.2%)

Hey Guys, We're going in the right direction! Our losses have increased. I am so proud of all of you!

I don't count the pounds that were gained last week and then lost this week. I'm only counting the pounds that will be subtracted from our initial goal! This is good news!

Stick with it Ladies and J.T.!

Remember what matters most is what is on the inside, our hearts, our souls, our core -- for it's what is on the inside that is reflected daily on the outside.

Hugs!

dee~

You guys rock. This is so inspirational. This surely has to be the absolute BEST support group in the country. I feel so lucky to have stumbled into your midst.

Mal - I hope you baby starts feeling better. I hate it when my animals are sick. They just don't understand.

hotmomma - I'm glad you got through yesterday. That had to be tough. And you should be VERY proud not to be the fat mom anymore. You've accomplished so much.

LA - I bet you have a huge week next week. It's your turn.

dee - your advice is wonderful. I can tell you already that #2 and #7 are gonna' be the tough ones for me. I have a really hard time recognizing my hungry/full signals and sometimes I find myself eating for absolutely no reason. I am also a big slug. A true couch potato. A big, round baked potato slathered in butter and sour cream.

I really like to hike, however, and last year we bought a piece of property in Southern Utah where the hiking opportunities are endless and breathtaking (Zion's Nat'l Park, Bryce Canyon, etc). I did my best last year, but it's hard luggin' all this butter and sour cream up the side of a mountain. So I end up missing out on many of the hikes that DH takes, because I simply can't do it. I hope that, by next year at this time, I'll be much stronger and able to take on some of the steeper trails. Hmmm, kind of a metaphor for life, yes?

We just got back from the day treatment center that my son attends. It is part of the Clubhouse group- a network of centers where adults with SPMI (severe, persistent mental illness) can go each day and do meaningful work. They keep the clubhouse running, make meals, help other members complete their GED, etc. Anyway, the international Clubhouse association is making a documentary to use all over the world, and my son, DH and I are going to be in it! They'll be spending next Tuesday with us, interviewing us and finding out how his mental illness has impacted us, how the clubhouse has changed his life, etc. They are also taking my son to a conference in Hawaii in October. It's very exciting.

Of course, I keep thinking about how "chubby" I'll look on film. Kind of my worst camera fears brought to life! :behindsofa::eek::grouphug:

Thanks gals, Buster is my WORLD and it tears me up seeing him like this. He han't eaten in two days and I have to force Water in him with a syringe. He sees me coming and he looks at me like "no! just leave me alone." I cry like a baby evey time I have to give him his meds because I have to force it in his mouth and then hold his mouth shut until he swallows it. I hate this...

Thanks gals, Buster is my WORLD and it tears me up seeing him like this. He han't eaten in two days and I have to force Water in him with a syringe. He sees me coming and he looks at me like "no! just leave me alone." I cry like a baby evey time I have to give him his meds because I have to force it in his mouth and then hold his mouth shut until he swallows it. I hate this...

:behindsofa: He'll forgive you when he's all better. They have big hearts and short memories.

Bahot~You made it through an emotional day yesterday. I know how difficult it can be.

mini~The documentary sounds interesting. Hawaii in October...lovely! You will be ready for those hikes! and I hope you post us some pictures!

lap~I hope your daughter is doing well. Keep us posted!